What is your favorite Shin Megami Tensei game?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
i have played just about all of the SMT games from the last 10 years. I cannot say for sure which ones i believe is my favorite one, as they all are great in their own right. for instance, strange journey is my favorite first person smt with soul hackers as the runner up. i love that smt iv is in 3d when exploring the dungeons. and the devil survivor games are my favorite srpg series next to fire emblem or luminous arc series.
Out of all of them, i will have to put down two top games. i would say that smt persona 3 and smt iv are my top favorites in the series.
I have yet to play persona q, and it is in my list of games to get.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. I never beat it, though. I lost the game before I did, unfortunately. It's not deep, controversial or over elaborated, just a simple hard as crap game, like Atlus usually provides.

Reactions: Shin, Blue Knight and 8150
SMT 4 and Devil Survivor 2. I like how SMT 4 uses an open-world concept. The story and gameplay of Devil Survivor 2 is what caught me. The first Devil survivor was a little bit boring.

Reactions: Hiromi and Blue Knight
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought Strange Journey was great! To me SJ seems like old-school SMT (like 1 and 2) but with modern touches to make the game less frustrating. I mean, yeah, it still IS frustrating, but it's the good kind. Not the cheap kind.

Well, except maybe for that Horkos boss fight...

Reactions: Blue Knight
Yesterday I started playing Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne its a very awesome game! I like the story, battles, and boss fights are cool too!
151226-Shin_Megami_Tensei_-_Nocturne_(USA)-6.jpg

And finally I beat Persona 3! Man that was another great game! :D

I've been playing Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked lately and so far I enjoy it more than Shin Megami Tensei IV, so I guess that's now my favorite Shin Megami Tensei game.
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is now my favorite \o/

Time to play some persona 3 portable
I beat this game very long time!
It's awesome game!

NL3EditorImageHandler.ashx

I've never actually played any of this series. YET. I have heard good thing, read mostly good reviews, and seen the teasers for most of them (I refuse to see or hear any spoilers, lalalalalalalala). But I pose a question, what game would you guys recommend I start with, or does it matter that much? I want to consolidate an answer before I go and buy. I want to go into a game with confidence rather than doubt I got the wrong game, e.t.c. Thanks for the help and maybe once I've played one of this series as recommended I will return.

I've never actually played any of this series. YET. I have heard good thing, read mostly good reviews, and seen the teasers for most of them (I refuse to see or hear any spoilers, lalalalalalalala). But I pose a question, what game would you guys recommend I start with, or does it matter that much? I want to consolidate an answer before I go and buy. I want to go into a game with confidence rather than doubt I got the wrong game, e.t.c. Thanks for the help and maybe once I've played one of this series as recommended I will return.
To be completely honest, all the games are pretty hard to the uninitiated. I personally recommend Persona 4 as a starting game. The 3ds titles are a hair too brutal at times to recommend as opposed to Persona 4. Good luck getting into the series!

To be completely honest, all the games are pretty hard to the uninitiated. I personally recommend Persona 4 as a starting game. The 3ds titles are a hair too brutal at times to recommend as opposed to Persona 4. Good luck getting into the series!
I see... thanks for the input I greatly appreciate it. Have been wanting to get into this series for awhile now, maybe this Christmas I'll finally start.

I see... thanks for the input I greatly appreciate it. Have been wanting to get into this series for awhile now, maybe this Christmas I'll finally start.
Good luck! Once you get used to how brutal atlus can be youll enjoy it!

Good luck! Once you get used to how brutal atlus can be youll enjoy it!
Trust me, I'm aware of that, I've played most of the Etrian Odyssey series (hinted by username)!

Finally time to play the first Persona game. It was my wishlist to play this game. It's very great game.
But it is hardcore, make no mistake. The encounter rate is ridiculously high, the challenge – particularly in the restored Snow Queen side quest – can be daunting even on the easier difficulty levels and the process of "negotiating" with monsters a little confusing at first. Even still, the storyline starts with an incredibly cool hook: a hospital undergoes a shift that leaves walls behind doors and hallways where there previously were none, then introduces a former chronically bedridden classmate with no memory of being sick into this monster-filled world. The mysterious setup really is timeless in its ability to draw you in.

It's a perfect game! :D

persona-8.png

Reactions: Hiromi
I love the main series but the spinoff-s are equally as good. For completion purposes it would be Devil Survivor 1. The pacing may be horrible in the beginning but it truly is amazing. And GOD that lucifer fight was worth the continuous grinding.
In terms of overall being great is the sequel to Devil Survivor: (Number 2). Devil Survivor 2 was great storywise and really got you enjoying playing and thinking about what your choices do better than any other game in my opinion. Alcor is too good though.
In terms of difficulty and story it's a mix between Nocturne and SMTIV. They both have really difficult gameplay (Cough cough expert mode rather than the other one cough cough easy cough cough) and lovely SMT stories. I love the separate tokyo and Eastern Kingdom of Mikado. And Nocturne is Nocturne. Do I have to say more?

I love the main series but the spinoff-s are equally as good. For completion purposes it would be Devil Survivor 1. The pacing may be horrible in the beginning but it truly is amazing. And GOD that lucifer fight was worth the continuous grinding.
In terms of overall being great is the sequel to Devil Survivor: (Number 2). Devil Survivor 2 was great storywise and really got you enjoying playing and thinking about what your choices do better than any other game in my opinion. Alcor is too good though.
In terms of difficulty and story it's a mix between Nocturne and SMTIV. They both have really difficult gameplay (Cough cough expert mode rather than the other one cough cough easy cough cough) and lovely SMT stories. I love the separate tokyo and Eastern Kingdom of Mikado. And Nocturne is Nocturne. Do I have to say more?

Yeah Devil Survivor is very good game too! :) Amazing story, gameplay, and characters.
I played this game long ago... and there Multiple endings. I just got 2 endings. If I remember I got the Naoya, Kaido endings.

Yeah game is very hard. So many times died in the boss fights, and yeah the final boss is very awesome!
It was very hard to beat him!.. :eek::eek::eek:

Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse.. But only one war mode....
Everything I liked from other SMT games. but in my pocket and with better graphics than SMT 4 even If the models had been a little derpy at times.
PLUS IT TAUGHT ME TO LIKE RAMMING MY HEAD INTO A BRICK WALL OVER AND OVER UNTIL IT BROKE.

Devil Survivor Overclocked, with the sequel's remake (DeSu2 Record Breaker) close behind. It might change once I buy IV and SJR though.

Regarding the main series it's SMT II without a doubt, I love the cyberpunk atmosphere, the music and its plot, especially the way it handles alignments.
Overall though, I'd say my absolute favorite game of the whole Megaten franchise is the Persona 2 Duology, Innocent Sin regarding the plot and Eternal Punishment for expanding and closing the previous game's story and for its gameplay - regarding this latter aspect, I read everywhere that people find it outdated but to me it was pretty fast, since it's essentialy a continuous autobattle where you can change the commands on the fly and negotiating is a almost immediate process once you learn the patterns.

Whatever includes Jack XD

Back