Bent Switch Consoles?

• Thread starter 28142
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
So looking through YouTube just now, and I saw that some people where talking about more problems with the switch.

Apparently people have been saying that the dock gets too hot while in TV mode, and it's causing the handheld bit to warp and bend. This is causing issues such as not being able to play in handheld mode, only in docked mode.

This is apparently a wide-spread issue, and most don't even know this is happening to them. Has anyone here experienced this?

Not yet. But defects and problems are pretty normal on console launch (maybe not some nintendo switch defects though they are really weird and bad!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikaya
Not yet. But defects and problems are pretty normal on console launch (maybe not like the switch defects though they are really weird)

The console warping in use isn't a launch issue, it's a hardware issue! This is pretty bad from what I've heard since in worst cases it does mess up the console so bad you can only play in docked mode. Which kinda defeats the whole point of the thing, doesn't it?

Reactions: 18
Yes, this almost happened with me! This console began warping so I let the console cool down for 48 hours and put my backup laptop fan underneath it and that seemed to work for me so if anyone is encountering this issue, I can't stress this enough, let the system cool down for 24-48 hours then find a way to prevent overheating/ add ventilation. My suggestions being a fan of sorts!!!!!! That should prevent any further warping and damage to your console!

Yes, this almost happened with me! This console began warping so I let the console cool down for 48 hours and put my backup laptop fan underneath it and that seemed to work for me so if anyone is encountering this issue, I can't stress this enough, let the system cool down for 24-48 hours then find a way to prevent overheating/ add ventilation. My suggestions being a fan of sorts!!!!!! That should prevent any further warping and damage to your console!

This brings up the question of how did this get past testing? And how does the dock not have a fan in the first place? Since, at least to me, that just common sense.

This brings up the question of how did this get past testing? And how does the dock not have a fan in the first place? Since, at least to me, that just common sense.

I do agree this is a huge oversight on Nintendo's part. I think they needed more extensive testing time because clearly they never ran it long enough to see the warping and hence never warranted the need for a fan. Based on this, I would hope Nintendo would cover this under their warranty and maybe alter production slightly if possible, only to add a fan of some sort to the final design. Although like I said earlier I enough testing time would've warranted this and as per Nintendo other systems none ever needed any form of ventilation other than natural ventilation up till now clearly, so I understand Nintendo's side to this as well. I just hope they will be forgiving with reparations to the damage already done and potentially alter the design for the future if possible.

Reactions: 28142
Whaaaat! Nintendo does not break or bent! What is this sorcery?

That being said, I think that if this becomes a big issue they'll make some design changes.

Well the 3DS had a new version come out like a few years after, so it's not unlikely the switch will have the same just maybe much sooner.

Lets just hope isn't not called "New Switch" :p

Reactions: Tri-force64, TribstyAnn and PersonSP
Oh my God guys I got a good one

Nintendo better include a fan with their Switch consoles from now on
Or
They'll lose ALL their fans!

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reactions: Tri-force64 and 28142
...wow. Dat pun tho.

Reactions: 18
Spinner, always the one bringing in the puns :p

But yeah really, it does need a fan.

The bending rumors isn't very widespread, just a little grossly exaggerated and the only image surfacing of it has a modified switch in a modified dock..HMM...
But other than that, to not be the apologist here, the overheating issue is an issue that I havent seen very often that might be unrelated to this bending situation, but I believe that all these rumors just put a bad light on the switch thanks to some incompetence that nintendo has. Nintendo needs to Step it UP in hardware production and fix some issues, even if minor, it's post-launch now. We shouldn't settle for less now. It's one of the weaker points of the switch and it turns off a LOT of potential buyers.

"How'd that get past testing?"
The answer is nintendo's idiocracy that is hurting how the switch will survive in the long run. Hopefully they'll attempt to make a functioning product by the time the console picks up steam.
"How does the dock not have a fan in the first place?"
Good question! The dock is barely any tech at all, being just a HDMI box with some adjustments to make it work well on the TV. Hence it doesnt have any power to run a fan. Which would be hard to solve, but they should've thought this through (like the crap charger location on handheld mode)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think the Switch was just rushed. It should've been delayed to the holidays. That way Christmas could be exploited, many of the games that are currently being developed could be launch titles (cough SMOdyssey) and reach more people than just Zelda fans, and issues like this and others we may see in the future could be avoided.

Reactions: 28142
I really think the Switch was just rushed. It should've been delayed to the holidays. That way Christmas could be exploited, many of the games that are currently being developed could be launch titles (cough SMOdyssey) and reach more people than just Zelda fans, and issues like this and others we may see in the future could be avoided.
Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda on launch day would've been kinda dumb. It would cause a rivalry between the two, and too many launch titles could cause a drop of quality in most of them (See Wii U launch.) But you do have a good argument about it being rushed to market. However, they'd have ANOTHER E3 where they wouldn't have much to reveal.

Reactions: Tri-force64
Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda on launch day would've been kinda dumb. It would cause a rivalry between the two, and too many launch titles could cause a drop of quality in most of them (See Wii U launch.) But you do have a good argument about it being rushed to market. However, they'd have ANOTHER E3 where they wouldn't have much to reveal.
This is true. E3 drives a lot of hype, so it is important to have some announcements for big titles like that.

I think this is a strategy from other videogame companies in order to prevent Nintendo to be successfull with the Nintendo Switch. I remember Reading about the joy-con issues or even the blue screen of death. Everything is a huge lie, that some envious people are spreading through internet with the sole purpose of convincing inocent minds not to purchase the console.

I think this is a strategy from other videogame companies in order to prevent Nintendo to be successfull with the Nintendo Switch. I remember Reading about the joy-con issues or even the blue screen of death. Everything is a huge lie, that some envious people are spreading through internet with the sole purpose of convincing inocent minds not to purchase the console.
Is this a joke?

Is this a joke?
It's a conspiracy. Now where is my tinfoil hat?

(That being said, it is a well known counter marketing strategy to spread false rumours. This one is -sadly- legit though.)

Reactions: Tri-force64
i have had my neon switch since midnight launch, and i have had ZERO issues with it what so ever. it runs like a champ. i have played breath of the wild for 10 hours straight while docked, and it never got to hot or over heated. no bent system or melting or any of those lies. I have seen a video, of a guy running zelda, and no matter what, the hottest the switch system got was 107 degrees fahrenheit (41.6667 degrees celsius). and that is not hot enough to melt or bend a system.
also in that same video, the guy uses infared camera that shows that the switch actually does a fantastic job of keeping the heat away from the battery. the switch is a very well made system imo

i have had my neon switch since midnight launch, and i have had ZERO issues with it what so ever. it runs like a champ. i have played breath of the wild for 10 hours straight while docked, and it never got to hot or over heated. no bent system or melting or any of those lies. I have seen a video, of a guy running zelda, and no matter what, the hottest the switch system got was 107 degrees fahrenheit (41.6667 degrees celsius). and that is not hot enough to melt or bend a system.
also in that same video, the guy uses infared camera that shows that the switch actually does a fantastic job of keeping the heat away from the battery. the switch is a very well made system imo
Erm...42 degrees might be enough to damage the console but that is pretty hot. (It is the temperature that your blood starts to clutter at. D: )

Back