Lawsuit filed against Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch detachable joycons

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Sega has supported fan games. The result is that the Sonic series, regardless of its critical reception in recent years, is massively successful. Because even kids looking for freeware can find a Sonic fangame and get familiar with him.

Nintendo's cease and desists, on the other hand, have prevented Metroid - your example - from being as ubiquitous. And no, Mario doesn't count, he has an entire console to be the mascot for at his disposal.

I'm not saying it's smart, just that it's their right to do so. Sega can support fan games if it works for them, Nintendo doesn't have to.

Metroid, on the other hand, already has a cult following from older gamers. It doesn't need the help from a bunch of crappy fan games. In the case of AM2R, it was a great game, but directly rivaled their own product. If you were a consumer which would you choose? An amazing game that's free, or good game for $40?

@Alegria so your bane with the switch is that a number of fan games were blown out of the water?

I've never heard of a popular Sonic fan game
But the core series is popular thanks, in some small part, due to fan games.

And fan games are the reason Sonic's been ruined.

@Ace, no I don't mean that. I suppose Nintendo is strong enough to get away with just paying and still sell the console.

But damn, fan games keep on spreading when fighting against it, just like official games that are hacked, and even tough both of them still spread, Nintendo still sells things, just they loose some fans who regret they took it like that. I would like to encourage Nintendo to think about it.

aaaand I realise it's quite off-subject, sorry

@Alegria, the fan-games uses Nintendo's own IPs, and Nintendo have the rights to shut them down.
@Arshan, they could definitely sue Nintendo over the Wii U and not the Switch.

The sad thing is that there's a big chance that Nintendo will lose this. That company (with the Wikipad and Gamevice, haven't done a big research), are just greedy. There are actually many Google ads of Gamevice so I knew about it before, but it is very different from the Switch. The Joycons have more functionality, and the Switch is a console. Attachable controllers exist for many years, and that company is definitely not the first.

Really? I thought Nintendo might win on the grounds that controllers are too common for their copyright to be comprehensive

@Amit0603
I had misworded that, I meant that Nintendo could sue gamevice for copying the wii u gamepad, obvi it is a joke since there are too many differences, but there are a few similarities (control layout, screen with controller).
I doubt Nintendo could lose this though. The big deal about the switch is it can easily switch between home console and portable (and it is a home console first and foremost according to Nintendo). The joy cons are a big part of it yes, but not the main part. The joy cons also have way too many differences I think. Hd rumble, Ir camera, capture button, home button, + and - buttons, L, ZL, R and ZR buttons, 2 person mutliplayer and last but not least wireless bluetooth connectivity.

@Amit0603 I know they have the right to shut down, but no matter what they do it still spreads everywhere on the internet! that's the point, they don't protect anything, they just attack!

@Amit0603
I had misworded that, I meant that Nintendo could sue gamevice for copying the wii u gamepad, obvi it is a joke since there are too many differences, but there are a few similarities (control layout, screen with controller).
I doubt Nintendo could lose this though. The big deal about the switch is it can easily switch between home console and portable (and it is a home console first and foremost according to Nintendo). The joy cons are a big part of it yes, but not the main part. The joy cons also have way too many differences I think. Hd rumble, Ir camera, capture button, home button, + and - buttons, L, ZL, R and ZR buttons, 2 person mutliplayer and last but not least wireless bluetooth connectivity.
I also wasn't very serious. Obviously there are many differences between the Wii U gamepad and the Wikipad.

I still fear that Nintendo will lose this. If they so, they'll probably just need to pay, but that's not a good thing either. I'm not sure if the judge(s) will count some of these as big enough. Docking is the main difference

Wow this a tough situation hopefully Nimtendo pays Gamevice to get out of this problem because if they don't then there won't be a switch anymore and the fans will be discouraged even though many fans are going to stop liking Nintendo because of the game honestly why does Gamwvice have to so can't they just let it go many new kids are growing up and they are starting to get into consoles why ruin it for little kids or grown ups when it comes to consoles(money I guess :cool:) I hope this lawsuit ends ,but in a good way and ends with the Nintendo Switch staying because I don't want the Nintendo Switch to be discontinued Nintendo always tries there best when they make new consoles plus there are a lot of people who bought the console itself and even though many of you said Gamevice might win this lawsuit hopefully they don't and they go away with their cheap ugly products.

@Leaandro15
Companies are always in it for the money. They really don't care that much about your life or thoughts all the time. Gamevice is in this for the money, they don't care what happens to the nintendo switch, whether it gets taken down or not. They are in this for the cash they can get if Nintendo settles out of this. They use the threat of banning switch sales to get Nintendo to want to make a settlement to protect the switch. If the switch was banned from being sold, Gamevice wouldn't get any benefit from it to their wikipad. I'm sure it would be more negative as a lot of people would boycott Gamevice.

You're right @Arshan even though nobody plays that Gamevice thingy they always do it for the money that's why you don't see a lot of fans or players just like Nintendo hyped when a new game is coming out because Gamevice dosen't make good products they just waited a few months to see Nintendo Switches product and then started a lawsuit against them and since Gamevice already did this once hopefully they don't win a lot of money and even if they do Nintendo will make the money again with their new games launching soon those fools don't know anything about games they only care about money and not about Fans or players.

I kinda don't think that their claims will hold up in court to well seeing as Nintendo was one to kind of prefect the motion control idea. Well at least make working controls anyways lol. I also find it funny that after all this time they want to sue them for it cause the motion controls have been out for a good while. I just don't see anything in their claims that give them any chance in a case like this cause there are to many factors that don't add up . I believe that they are just jumping on the sue happy bandwagon cause Nintendo seems to be making a good bit of money off the new system right now so all this company is seeing is $$ signs .

Back