Gamecube Controller Support for Nintendo Switch

• Thread starter Ethendor
  • Start date
Ethendor

Ethendor

The PK-Fire spammer
Towns Folk
Switch Version 4.0.0 came out recently and you are able to connect a gamecube controller to the Switch by getting one of the adapters that was used for the Wii U, Unlike the Wii U though you can use the controller in any game like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Fire Emblem Warriors, with the Wii U you were only able to use it in Sm4sh. This feature suggests that maybe GCN virtual console is on the way as some games require analog triggers which the Switch doesn't have. It could also suggest that a new Super Smash Bros game might be in the works as that was how the Wii U got it's gamecube adapter. So is this a cool feature, are you going to use it a lot, and the big question could this signify some kind of game taking advantage of it.

This makes me all the more hype for potential Dolphin emulation in the Switch's future homebrew scene.

Reactions: eeveeruleslol
When I searched for the news, apparently Reggie of Nintendo says that the Gamecube controller support was accidental since they only intend to add the third-party peripherals support (maybe controllers or keyboards) in the latest update, so the Gamecube Adapter support caught them by surprise too.

But still, accidental or not, I think it might be a good thing for those who wanted to play their games on Gamecube controller. Plus, it might be tad bit easier for Ninty to make GC Virtual Consoles work if they planned to release it at some point.

I don´t think that they are making a new super smash bros, istead, I do believe that we are going to receive a port of the wii u smash in the nintendo switch. I think that would be awesome because smash Bross is well known game that is followed by many people, including me. On the other hand, I haven´t thought of the gamecube virtual console as you suggest and I think it is really valid what you propose. Let´s hope they hurry it up.
Anyway, regarding the wii u controller adapter thing, Nintendo itself didn´t know about the fact that it could be use on the switch, or at least that is what they claimed. Pretty suspicious!

Nintendo itself didn´t know about the fact that it could be use on the switch, or at least that is what they claimed. Pretty suspicious!
I believe Nintendo might've known about it because of the fact, that if you plug like an XBOX 360 controller in it does not work

This makes me all the more hype for potential Dolphin emulation in the Switch's future homebrew scene.
homebrew yes

i wish i had a adapter

The homebrew potential for the switch is amazing. I know all the super smash bros fans will love the Gamecube controller support too! If they ever come out with Melee on the virtual console, the Smash fans are gonna go crazy. I already tried using my adapter with mario kart 8 and it works great.

Cool that it's an option, but I've got a pro controller so I don't think I'll ever use a gamecube controller.

If this is really happening, then it would be a dream come true :)

According to logic, if a perfect game can exist, then a perfect game must exist because we can have the concept of a perfect game at all. If we cannot have the concept of a perfect game then the next best game is the best game in terms comparison to all other games.

So by this logic where is smash Bros on the switch (the best game) Nintendo??? We know it must exist!

This looks really awesome! If you can play any game, and have controller support, will it affect anything? (ex. input speed) Also, when using non-joy con controllers, is there a button equivalent to each joy-con button? Because it would suck if you were playing splatoon 2, but you couldn't look around or something like that. But anyways, the controller support seems like a great thing for everyone, especially people who love the gamecube controller

Back