Super Mario Odyssey for 3DS??

• Thread starter N3DSXL
  • Start date
N3DSXL

N3DSXL

Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
I wonder if there will be a Super Mario Odyssey for the Nintendo 3DS?

I very much doubt it, a game as complex as SMO would have to be rewritten to work on the 3DS perfectly. Not worth all of the additional effort they'd have to put into it when they could be making newer things.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Yeah... No... That is impossible and will never happen.

Not impossible, but expect a result similar to when Geometry Wars made it to DS.

No way. No how. Forget about it. According to the world, (not me!) the 3DS is about to die out. No way would they spend 4 or 5 more years to rewrite the entire game for the 3DS when you can already get it on their latest system (AKA the Nintendo Switch.) I highly doubt this would ever happen.

Yeah, not going to happen.

Reactions: Marc
Not at all possible. The 3ds probably can't even run the engine at all. It would have to be a completely redone game to work on the 3ds.

It will NEVER happen. Ever. Sorry, but you'll need a new console.

I would not ask for a mario odyssey port to the nintendo 3ds console, I would rather prefer a Brand new mario game. You know, mario 3d land was really good, I actually bought it on the same day I got my nintendo 3ds and I had quite a good time with it. I would love nintendo to make a sequel to that game or even a new one (storywise speaking). The nintendo 3ds has already proven it is worth the effort of its developers, anyway, taking into account the great winds the nintendo switch is sailing with, it is almost impossible they develop a new mario game for the 3ds.

I wonder if there will be a Super Mario Odyssey for the Nintendo 3DS?
That could be possible a to jump b to attack and to move would be easy all they would have to do is make it

No way. No how. Forget about it. According to the world, (not me!) the 3DS is about to die out. No way would they spend 4 or 5 more years to rewrite the entire game for the 3DS when you can already get it on their latest system (AKA the Nintendo Switch.) I highly doubt this would ever happen.
Its not dying. It more popular than you think

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not dying. It more popular than you think
Well, yeah, I guess so. But why would they remake the game for the 3DS? They're already pushing everyone to buy Nintendo Switches in order to play these games. And even if they did re release it, it wouldn't be pretty. Most likely it would have a very choppy frame rate, and just wouldn't play well in general. Also, I believe Nintendo has already confirmed that there wouldn't be any more first party games for the Nintendo 3DS, only third party games.

That could be possible a to jump b to attack and to move would be easy all they would have to do is make it

It's not nearly as simple as that, they would have to re-code a fair amount of the game, and maybe even the engine itself as it might not be possible to be ran on the 3DS' hardware.

The cost they would have to spend and the amount of time it would take them wouldn't be worth it, it would have to be made differently as well to take into account the touchscreen and everything. It would make them loose money for something worthless. It's great just on the switch, not every game needs to be on every platform otherwise games/consoles loose selling points.

Reactions: Samster
Not possible. 3ds is noway near as powerful as Switch. They could rewrite the game for the 3ds, but it would take a long time, plus think of the framerate. Basically, Super Mario Odyssey 3d is never going tohappen for three simple reasons 1:3ds's lack of power,even New3ds would struggle 2: Cost too much money porting/reprogramming it for 3ds 3: 3ds days are numbered, it is starting towind down. Hope this explains why it is not possible or viable.

As everyone else has said this is not going to happen. There is Super Mario 3d Land which is... kinda the same thing? Not really but still a fairly good game.

It's not nearly as simple as that, they would have to re-code a fair amount of the game, and maybe even the engine itself as it might not be possible to be ran on the 3DS' hardware.

The cost they would have to spend and the amount of time it would take them wouldn't be worth it, it would have to be made differently as well to take into account the touchscreen and everything. It would make them loose money for something worthless. It's great just on the switch, not every game needs to be on every platform otherwise games/consoles loose selling points.
yes excellent point. i agree it would cost way too much money and time for them, it would also be horribly laggy even on new 3ds which can render almost anything unplayable (common issue with ds emulators btw, hopefully not breaking rules here). more than that, even if it was do-able and did happen, i doubt it would be anywhere near as good as the switch release is. while i understand why people might want a 3ds re-release, i honestly think doing this would make a mess out of a great and memorable game (sorry guys) >.<

Reactions: 28142
Sadly, I don't think the 3ds has the CPU power to run SMO:(

I, actually, quite feel it would be possible, but would be a N3DS exclusive game, due to controls, power, etc.

I could be wrong about my data, but eh..

I, actually, quite feel it would be possible, but would be a N3DS exclusive game, due to controls, power, etc.

I could be wrong about my data, but eh..

Maybe but if it did happen they would be forced to cut out so much of the content and reduce the number of kingdoms+ their size for each one, along with revising graphics for the 3ds limited resolution that it would really turn out bad and most likely be ruined altogether, its just not worth the time and money, especially since people are buying the Nintendo switch and its selling out like candy (if you get my drift)

I am 100% sure this would never happen. Super Mario Odyssey is far too complex of a game for a teeny tiny game console like the 3DS. The 3DS just doesn't have the right graphis or size for a huge sandbox style game like SMO. If it did come to 3DS it'd be a messy laggy game. Besides, Nintendo wants the Switch to get profit, not the 3DS as much.

The 3DS is not built for sandbox style games, especially ones as huge as Mario Odyssey.

The Switch has 4 GB LPDDR4 memory while the 3DS has 128 MB FCRAM, 6MB VRAM memory. That is a vast difference. The 3DS has much different hardware, similar to a computer vs. a phone.

There is no way the poor 3DS could handle a game as large as Mario Odyssey. It would crash and the 3DS could explode (exaggeration)

Like others have said, the entire game would need to be rewritten because of Odyssey being made especially for Switch hardware. Lots of the game requires Joy-Con movement, which the 3DS couldn't do.

There is a 99% Mario Odyssey is not gonna be on the 3DS. Ninty wants people to buy Switches, not 3DSes.

It would look absolutely awful on the 3DS anyways on its rather small screen...

As SkyHuntress said, Nintendo wants to devote its time to new stuff!

Last edited:
Lots of the game requires Joy-Con movement, which the 3DS couldn't do.
Except the fact the game would be better if they had a button input for the motion controls...

Back