Let's Complain about School!

• Thread starter Duffy
  • Start date
Guess who landed themselves a detention today?! This guy!! Guess why! I was drawing. In my notebook. During our study time. Our free time. And I get a detention for that. Hopes and prayers to all of you at your lows, at difficult times... I'm with you and am sending nothing but good vibes! :)
Dang they gave you detention for not paying attention in class??? During free/study time??? That's some BS right there... If your school principal is nice I'd talk to him/her about this. Remember to be kind to them and explain how you meant no disrespect to the teacher, you just didn't want to study. I had a similar experience in high school but my principal was extremely nice and understanding. Best of luck to you!

EDIT: Mispelled "principal." I can't even English correctly, lol thanks school. jk

Lol my teachers always gave me crap for doodling on anything but doodling actually helped me concentrate so they just gave up and dealt with the fact that my homework tests and notes had doodles on them XD

Reactions: Duffy
Lol my teachers always gave me crap for doodling on anything but doodling actually helped me concentrate so they just gave up and dealt with the fact that my homework tests and notes had doodles on them XD
http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1882127,00.html
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/17/doodling-benefits_n_7572182.html
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-thinking-benefits-of-doodling-2016121510844

Time Magazine, Huffington Post, and Harvard-- All are reputable sources, and all of them express positive feedback on the concept of doodling. I am debating using these three presented articles as resources for a potential repeal for this punishment.

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1882127,00.html
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/17/doodling-benefits_n_7572182.html
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-thinking-benefits-of-doodling-2016121510844

Time Magazine, Huffington Post, and Harvard-- All are reputable sources, and all of them express positive feedback on the concept of doodling. I am debating using these three presented articles as resources for a potential repeal for this punishment.
If your school has a repeal process I'd recommend it for your case. It seems like your teacher was just being an (other word for donkey that makes the use of "an" correct).

I kind of like school, despite constantly whining about classmates, procrastinating on essays, doodling in notebooks, browsing memes and questioning the education planning. Just like everywhere else, a lot of students complain about how "pointless" what we study is, and how we'll never use any of that in real life (math, history, literature, art, communication are common victims), but I disagree. All-round education is very important, I don't think most students realise exactly how much. And if you really are that uninterested in studying, quit and stop dragging other students down with you. Go flip hamburgers at a fast food restaurant if you can't be bothered to learn, some people want to study and you have no right to hinder their education (harsh, but that's my opinion). That only applies to secondary or tertiary education meant for more ambitious people who want to get somewhere in life, but mandatory education has its own share of issues too. I just want my fellow students to take their studies seriously, or drop out if they won't. Secondary education is not mandatory, if you have chosen to continue with secondary education, you have to take responsibility for your studies. Adults should be capable of doing that.

That being said, there's plenty of room for improvements. School in my country is infamously messy - students who need special help rarely get what they need, the grading system changes every election (only slight hyperbole), too little is done to prevent bullying, there's a serious shortage of teachers, math class is seriously lacking (my country is one of the worst at math in the entire EU), troublemakers are seldom properly dealt with and the government has no idea what the education needs. That mostly applies to primary school, but secondary school is an awful mess (the ones I know of), and I have little experience with tertiary education. I hope it's better, but that remains to be seen.
School is important, but there are a lot of issues that need to be fixed.

But that's based on my experience with a small number of schools in my county in my country. It's probably different in the rest of the world.

If your school has a repeal process I'd recommend it for your case. It seems like your teacher was just being an (other word for donkey that makes the use of "an" correct).
You use “an” after a word beginning with a vowel, and I know one starting with a vowel ;)

Math is torture

Ugh school is frustrating. But I guess I can't complain when I wait until the last minute to do everything. If I actually like planned out my homework and stuff if probably have a better experience. That would probably decrease the stress too.

I'm avoiding doing homework right now and just wanna complain about school. I know all of ya'll wanna complain too, so here's a dedicated thread about it! Complain away!
I appreciate this topic.

I am kind of pondering whether I want to continue with my current studies because (drumroll please) they're taking up too little time. No, seriously. The subjects themselves are challenging enough but there just aren't enough of them to keep me busy so now I'm wondering if I could find and try something harder. Buuuuut that means starting over again and I do not look forward to that.

Oh my lord, god bless this thread... I have been unable to vent to my "parents" about multiple things in school, primarily algebra. Guess who landed themselves a detention today?! This guy!! Guess why! I was drawing. In my notebook. During our study time. Our free time. And I get a detention for that. I hate my math class and I hate the teacher. The excruciatingly painful amounts of homework he puts on us us near unacceptable, he is an absolute harass about anything under the sun, and he singles me out in the majority of class situations. Was I the one who was being obnoxious or disrespectful towards him during free time?? Nah, I was just drawing. Quietly drawing. And this unlucky kiddo gets a detention. Detention has also been proven as to not being an effect deterrent towards bad behavior. But he still chooses them as his primary form of punishment. He has emailed my parents multiple times with the same BS I've heard throughout life- "Len is a smart kid but he doesn't work hard enough. He needs to work harder and he could have an A in this class. I saw his high school exam scores. Len is in the top 90th percentile but has no motivation." And I will admit, I do lack motivation, and (no I am not intending to brag so please bear with me here, I know this may seem egoistic but I promise it is based on numbers, not my self-confidence) I am within the top 90th percentile N A T I O N A L L Y. But I'm too smart for my own good. The thing teachers and parents fail to realize is that intelligence has no correlation whatsoever with motivation or enjoyment of school. I speak 3 languages fluently, I learned that all on my own time. But because of my "intelligence," people expect that I am able to handle more work with no problem. I have lost all motivation and really hit a low recently. I give zero, zero, zero damns about anything school or otherwise. Lost interest in anything I used to enjoy. My eating habits went downhill, my sleep quality went down, and all of these are symptoms of depression. Am I depressed? I don't know. I am not suicidal, but if I had a choice between life and not existing or not living, I would pick not living. I want to die, but not by my own blade, y'know? Honestly life is just a big, long, hard, tiring adventure, and I wish it would end. Or I wish I could find happiness and motivation especially. I personally love Latin class; it's just Algebra that is honestly draining so much more than I thought a single class ever could. Sucked all my motivation and happiness out of me. I lost any craps I gave about how I turn out, what people think of me, how much I weigh, how buff I am, how much sleep I get, how much I spend on homework... I just don't care about anything anymore. Yes, I am seeking help soon, and hopefully the effects will be positive. Hopes and prayers to all of you at your lows, at difficult times... I'm with you and am sending nothing but good vibes! :)
Late reply time!

I just scanned through your post (not reading the whole thing, ain't nobody got time for that). Yes the smart kids get bored more easily, and ye sthe system tends to screw over everyone that isn't average, but no, that is not something entirely outside of yourself. Motivation is, in the end what gets you there. And that means getting yourself to do tedious, stupid and boring work that requires hardly any brains. Life is fun that way. :) About two years ago I was in a rather similar position though, so allow me to give some uninvited advice:

Now here's some unconventional advice: Skip classes where you are not learning anything. First check that you are absolutely positively at least 1 year ahead (so that any test for the subject will be a breeze), then bolt. Use the time to do an extra project, go on a long walk, work on a weaker subject, whatever breaks the mold. This helped motivate me since it meant less sitting around wondering what the hell I was there for, and more time for things I liked, which gave me renewed energy.
Preferably you discuss this with your teacher beforehand. Assure them that you will keep submitting your homework assignments and if your grades drop you will return to class, but also explain that this is draining a lot of your motivation. I find that teachers are usually responsive to argumentation like that. If they're not you could still skip class, but that is likely to get you detention. (My school had a rather flawed detention system so that wasn't a problem for me, but keep in mind that getting too many detentions will get you into trouble regardless.)

As for the conventional side: Make sure you exercise enough (hour or two hour long walks seem to do the trick) as it helps clear your head. Getting your body moving can also help your mind move. I know you probably don't feel like doing any sports, but get your headphones on and take yourself for a walk. Wander around town, go to some place with a lot of nature, or just go window shopping. It doesn't matter as long as you're moving.
More importantly, don't push yourself too hard. You will sometimes need to drag yourself out of bed, that's normal, but have some moderation. If you cannot have a good day, instead just have a day. Get out of bed, take a shower, make sure you eat three proper meals, get some exercise. The other stuff doesn't really matter on days like that. Just take care of yourself and things will start looking up eventually.
If you can muster the energy, obnoxiously point out to yourself all the nice things you see during the day. (Ah the sun is shining, that is nice. The weather isn't too warm so I can wear my favourite jacket. This sandwich tastes good. That is one good-looking bird. A new free DLC. That one funny meme. The smell of grass after rain.) It's tedious and it might make you feel a bit ridiculous, but it can help you gradually focus on the good things in life. Even, or maybe especially, the tiny things everyone seems to forget to appreciate.

Good luck!

Late reply time!

I just scanned through your post (not reading the whole thing, ain't nobody got time for that). Yes the smart kids get bored more easily, and ye sthe system tends to screw over everyone that isn't average, but no, that is not something entirely outside of yourself. Motivation is, in the end what gets you there. And that means getting yourself to do tedious, stupid and boring work that requires hardly any brains. Life is fun that way. :) About two years ago I was in a rather similar position though, so allow me to give some uninvited advice:

Now here's some unconventional advice: Skip classes where you are not learning anything. First check that you are absolutely positively at least 1 year ahead (so that any test for the subject will be a breeze), then bolt. Use the time to do an extra project, go on a long walk, work on a weaker subject, whatever breaks the mold. This helped motivate me since it meant less sitting around wondering what the hell I was there for, and more time for things I liked, which gave me renewed energy.
Preferably you discuss this with your teacher beforehand. Assure them that you will keep submitting your homework assignments and if your grades drop you will return to class, but also explain that this is draining a lot of your motivation. I find that teachers are usually responsive to argumentation like that. If they're not you could still skip class, but that is likely to get you detention. (My school had a rather flawed detention system so that wasn't a problem for me, but keep in mind that getting too many detentions will get you into trouble regardless.)

As for the conventional side: Make sure you exercise enough (hour or two hour long walks seem to do the trick) as it helps clear your head. Getting your body moving can also help your mind move. I know you probably don't feel like doing any sports, but get your headphones on and take yourself for a walk. Wander around town, go to some place with a lot of nature, or just go window shopping. It doesn't matter as long as you're moving.
More importantly, don't push yourself too hard. You will sometimes need to drag yourself out of bed, that's normal, but have some moderation. If you cannot have a good day, instead just have a day. Get out of bed, take a shower, make sure you eat three proper meals, get some exercise. The other stuff doesn't really matter on days like that. Just take care of yourself and things will start looking up eventually.
If you can muster the energy, obnoxiously point out to yourself all the nice things you see during the day. (Ah the sun is shining, that is nice. The weather isn't too warm so I can wear my favourite jacket. This sandwich tastes good. That is one good-looking bird. A new free DLC. That one funny meme. The smell of grass after rain.) It's tedious and it might make you feel a bit ridiculous, but it can help you gradually focus on the good things in life. Even, or maybe especially, the tiny things everyone seems to forget to appreciate.

Good luck!
To begin, I’d say I spend more time in nature than not. And I don’t really know what to say other than I am grateful for you giving up that time to write that. Thank you, thank you lots.

To begin, I’d say I spend more time in nature than not. And I don’t really know what to say other than I am grateful for you giving up that time to write that. Thank you, thank you lots.
You're welcome. :) And that's great, long live the big green. (Although to be fair, most of the natural world seems to be underwater.)

You're welcome. :) And that's great, long live the big green. (Although to be fair, most of the natural world seems to be underwater.)
71% hah

I agree with @MysticFantasy on how useful some of the info. is. In fact, one of my worst pet peeves is when someone raises their hand in the middle of a lesson the teacher is giving and asks

"When are we going to use this after we graduate?"

Good glory, every time I hear someone say that, I want to slap them. When they say something like this, it sends a message to me that they've pretty much given up and will not rest until everyone else knows it. Plus, it just says that the person is so unimaginative he/she can't find a conceivable way it's used!

A good analogy:

Why do footballers do pressups and weight lifting, when their primary focus is to kick the ball? The answer is obvious, to train their muscles and grow them.

So what does pythagoras theorem do for you in the future other than let you work out the longest side of a right-angled triangle? It trains your brain.

I absolutely despise it when you get in trouble for something you didn't even start.

For example, somebody once poured tropicana on me (it was in the morning and my uniform was sticky for the entire day). I turned around and punched his face three times and gave him a nosebleed.

He got a one hour detention, but me? What did I get?

A week of lunchtime detentions.
Sure, maybe giving him a nosebleed was a little excessive, but why do i get 7 times the punishment he got, WHEN HE WAS THE ONE WHO STARTED IT?

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely despise it when you get in trouble for something you didn't even start.

For example, somebody once poured tropicana on me (it was in the morning and my uniform was sticky for the entire day). I turned around and punched his face three times and gave him a nosebleed.

He got a one hour detention, but me? What did I get?

A week of lunchtime detentions.
Sure, maybe giving him a nosebleed was a little excessive, but why do i get 7 times the punishment he got, WHEN HE WAS THE ONE WHO STARTED IT?
Don't even feel bad. At my high school teachers used to tell that if we defending ourselves not to hold back. After all, you are probably going to get in trouble anyways (0 tolerance rules are stupid, it doesn't matter who started it, anyone involved in a fight can get suspended). So with 0 tolerance rules in mind, basically they said screw it, make sure other people know not to mess with you.

Side note: Rules with no exceptions are dumb. There are always exceptions...

Reactions: Farhaan Raja
He's not defending himself, he's being unreasonably violent over a harmless prank and if you ask me he got off easy.

Because possibly permanently disfiguring someone's face for a harmless, one-day prank where you could just have got your uniform washed is a horrible thing to do. Is there any room in that conceited little mind of yours to consider what would have happened if one of your punches landed wrong and his face was altered forever? It's not like he was even beating you. Hell, friends play pranks like this on each other. Honestly, what the actual f--? I honestly think you deserve expulsion or at least suspension for that. What's even more disgusting is you clearly have no remorse.

Of course, I really doubt you actually have the guts to punch anyone, because if you did, you wouldn't have to put in all the awesome details, that you did it three times or gave him a nosebleed.

Learn to be an actual man for God's sake. Hitting someone unexpectedly in the face when they pulled a harmless prank on you is the most cowardly, leechiest thing I have heard of all week.If you need to start a fight, show the other guy that you're looking for one and give him a chance to walk away. There's a reason proper fights start with stuff like shoulder-pushing and mounting aggression rather than what you did.

So many of the people on this site are of a school-going age. They don't need influence from a bully like you who then makes himself out to be the victim.

Can you actually just go away?
You don't even know half the details.

If it was just a "One-time prank" i probably wouldve poured something else over him at a later date for revenge.
Also, you're assuming he was my friend. He was quite the opposite actually. If he was a friend, he wouldn't of gone that far. But this person was the definition of a bully, making jokes at the expense of other people. Now generally, I try toavoid fights at all costs, because generally I see them as pointless energy wasting, and i try to stay on good terms with everyone.

This guy in particular, I don't exactly know what I did to rub him up the wrong way, maybe he saw me as an easy target - since I don't get into many fights and he saw this as a weakness. I won't discuss everything that happened inbetween this incident but yeah.
When he did it, I was facing away from him, at the other end of the corridor, talking to somebody else, and he decided to impress his sidemen by throwing a tropicana all over me. Keep in mind that I hadn't even spoken to him or anything like that for a month.

I'm sure YOU in particular would just stand there and laugh becase you're such a nice person that you'd let anyone just walk all over you, but not me.

And yes, I don't feel any remorse. Why should I? As far as I know, he no longer bullies anybody, for they just point out what I did to him. I know for a fact that he lost a few friends, and I know how hard I punch; there were no permanent injuries.
And anyway, it was the first time I'd done anything like that and hopefully it'll be the last.

And if I were you, Spinnerweb, I'd stop being such a white knight, because thats literally what you are.

I agree with @MysticFantasy on how useful some of the info. is. In fact, one of my worst pet peeves is when someone raises their hand in the middle of a lesson the teacher is giving and asks

"When are we going to use this after we graduate?"

Good glory, every time I hear someone say that, I want to slap them. When they say something like this, it sends a message to me that they've pretty much given up and will not rest until everyone else knows it. Plus, it just says that the person is so unimaginative he/she can't find a conceivable way it's used!

"Yeah, when are we ever going to use math in the real world?"

"HELLO? HELLO?! ANYBODY IN THERE?! THINK McFLY!"

You use math almost every single day! When you're telling the time, using your phone, measuring items, you're using math!!

Seriously, if I were a teacher, I'd probably knock on that person's head while yelling that quote (though substituting McFly with their own last name).

Another huge peeve I have is the kind of people I have to go to school with. Firstly, the school is so whitewashed it's not even funny. Therefore, people don't appreciate what they have and it sickens me. Back in LA, being Caucasian is considered part of the minority (the next time someone says no white person in America knows what it's like to be part of the minority, please give me a call so I can educate the guy). I hate how kids in my school talk so badly about things that are different than them because people assume I agree with them. They live in their perfect little worlds, and they have no idea what's really going on outside the state border, which would be okay if they didn't try to tear down anything else. I get that pride is a big theme that's highly supported and demanded in this state, but do these people know that too much is very destructive?

Plus, I absolutely hate being called a 'nerd', even from probably the nerdiest people you can imagine. There's nothing wrong with them being who they are, but do not call me a nerd. I grew up with people using that word like it's an insulting slang term, therefore if you call me a nerd I will take it as an insulting slang. In the state I live in everyone is accepting and there's a group for everyone, which would be okay if people stopped trying to give me an identity!!

My classes are okay. I am taking AP classes in the high school curriculum. To those who don't know, AP classes are college level classes that give college credit and high school credit, and you can apply starting your junior year. If you do all 2 years of college classes you can during high school, you can graduate with an Associate's Degree, already making considerably more money than your Gen-Ed classmates. Surprisingly enough, they're actually pretty good! Firstly, only juniors and seniors are allowed to take college courses during high school, so you're spending time with people who are considerably more mature and a lot better to hang out with than the annoying freshmen and sophomore people.

Speaking of those people, the school students also have a problem of trying to "assign" you the classes you're supposed to take each year, with the notorious being the science classes. See, these people believe you're supposed to take Earth Science your Freshman year, Biology your Sophomore, Chemistry your Junior, and Physics your Senior. I did Earth Science for Freshman, Chemistry for Sophomore, and now I'm going through Biology as a Junior. There's nothing wrong with Biology itself, it's just that I'm the only Junior in a class full of Sophomores. It feels like I got catapulted back in time with my Junior mentality. Good glory, the sophomores couldn't have been that perverted last year, were they? It's weird, I thought my sophomore year was okay, but now that I'm going back to it as a junior, these kids are dirty. Doesn't matter if they are a boy or girl, I have seen many cases where both sides were uncomfortably dirty.

The staff is alright and the lunch served in the cafeteria is surprisingly pretty good. I like going to classes and learning new and intriguing things, but not because I'm a nerd, but because I want to know more about the world around me so I can be able to thrive in the best way possible, but it's hard in this variety. I think maybe deep down they're scared of me because I am part of the different they hate.

I just...I dunno.
I don’t know if it’s me, but I kinda think being called anerd is a good thing. You’re more likely to succeed in life than other people, who think the nfl is the only way you can make it big. Though I see why this could be considered a bad thing, for the social aspect. I’m kinda an extrovert, but also a nerd in a sense due to my video game hobby and good grades in school. Just learn to embrace it. Idk maybe it’s because I go to a mostly mixed school. Just remember that if anyone who was ignorant and dumb in school , they’ll probably have a bad life.

Can you actually just go away?
You don't even know half the details.

If it was just a "One-time prank" i probably wouldve poured something else over him at a later date for revenge.
Also, you're assuming he was my friend. He was quite the opposite actually. If he was a friend, he wouldn't of gone that far. But this person was the definition of a bully, making jokes at the expense of other people. Now generally, I try toavoid fights at all costs, because generally I see them as pointless energy wasting, and i try to stay on good terms with everyone.

This guy in particular, I don't exactly know what I did to rub him up the wrong way, maybe he saw me as an easy target - since I don't get into many fights and he saw this as a weakness. I won't discuss everything that happened inbetween this incident but yeah.
When he did it, I was facing away from him, at the other end of the corridor, talking to somebody else, and he decided to impress his sidemen by throwing a tropicana all over me. Keep in mind that I hadn't even spoken to him or anything like that for a month.

I'm sure YOU in particular would just stand there and laugh becase you're such a nice person that you'd let anyone just walk all over you, but not me.

And yes, I don't feel any remorse. Why should I? As far as I know, he no longer bullies anybody, for they just point out what I did to him. I know for a fact that he lost a few friends, and I know how hard I punch; there were no permanent injuries.
And anyway, it was the first time I'd done anything like that and hopefully it'll be the last.

And if I were you, Spinnerweb, I'd stop being such a white knight, because thats literally what you are.
Stop using buzzwords to make it look like you're in the right. I'm not a white knight. I just know that hitting someone - especially in the face - for a prank, even a mean one, is unreasonable. Do the same to him. Throw tropicana over him. But don't stoop to fighting unless someone else initiates. If anyone's a white knight, it's you for thinking you hitting him let everyone use your example to stop him.

Maybe one day you'll do something relatively harmless for a laugh and someone like you will rearrange your face for you. Then we'll see how you feel.

I disagree. If they two people in question were friends, then he probably would have continued by throwing/dumping food on said friend. That sort of thing can be a prank, with two friends who know it's all in good fun (albeit still not appropriate for school, and they'd both probably still be punished). The way I view this incident is by thinking about someone I really loathe, some one I just never wanna be around, and then think about them feeling the same way about me. Now what would said person do if I just dumped tropicana all over them? If they are anyone besides ghandi, they will probably start kicking or punching, even if they are not an aggressive person. I will say that I think 1 good punch in enough, 3 is excise. Then you should say "how do you like punch when it's in your face?" and then promptly leave, because yea, you definitely still gonna get in trouble... but at least no one else will mess with you!

Also I think now we should drop this. It's kind of derailing this threads topic, and clearly we all have differing opinions on what to do after someone pours tropicana on you. I think the best thing to do is say "how do you like punch when it's in your face?" and then literally hit them (pun(ch) intended). Farhaan Raja is gonna punch 'em multiple times. And Spinnerweb would take the high road (despite all that could mean). And I doubt we will change each other's mind.

Reactions: Marc
I disagree. If they two people in question were friends, then he probably would have continued by throwing/dumping food on said friend. That sort of thing can be a prank, with two friends who know it's all in good fun (albeit still not appropriate for school, and they'd both probably still be punished). The way I view this incident is by thinking about someone I really loathe, some one I just never wanna be around, and then think about them feeling the same way about me. Now what would said person do if I just dumped tropicana all over them? If they are anyone besides ghandi, they will probably start kicking or punching, even if they are not an aggressive person. I will say that I think 1 good punch in enough, 3 is excise. Then you should say "how do you like punch when it's in your face?" and then promptly leave, because yea, you definitely still gonna get in trouble... but at least no one else will mess with you!

Also I think now we should drop this. It's kind of derailing this threads topic, and clearly we all have differing opinions on what to do after someone pours tropicana on you. I think the best thing to do is say "how do you like punch when it's in your face?" and then literally hit them (pun(ch) intended). Farhaan Raja is gonna punch 'em multiple times. And Spinnerweb would take the high road (despite all that could mean). And I doubt we will change each other's mind.

The voice of reason...

Back