Game recommendations

• Thread starter Mikaya
  • Start date
For anyone looking for a good visual novel/time travel story on the PS Vita, Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 are currently on discount on PSN until early next month.

For anyone looking for a good visual novel/time travel story on the PS Vita, Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 are currently on discount on PSN until early next month.
I feel like the point of this thread has been forgotten. :/

I feel like the point of this thread has been forgotten. :/

How so? The thread title is called "Game Recommendations". I recommended a game and gave an idea on what genre it is.

How so? The thread title is called "Game Recommendations". I recommended a game and gave an idea on what genre it is.
Well... Visual Novels are seldom games unless they offer game-parts: like puzzles or fighting. But I digress.

This is what I meant.
boring of playing the same old games for your console? stuck for a new game to play that you'll enjoy? Just post the series/genres/features you're into, and a fellow member can make some useful recommendations for you! Make sure you state what console the game is for, the full title, along with a brief description, notable features, a rating and reasons why you would recommend that/those games.
The purpose of the thread was for laddies like you and me to ask for games of a given genre, and have somebody else report back on games they feel suit such genres. I've not seen a whole lotta that in the latter stretch of the thread.

Well... Visual Novels are seldom games unless they offer game-parts: like puzzles or fighting. But I digress.

This is what I meant.

The purpose of the thread was for laddies like you and me to ask for games of a given genre, and have somebody else report back on games they feel suit such genres. I've not seen a whole lotta that in the latter stretch of the thread.

That doesn't necessarily mean I can't suggest a game in the event that anyone is looking for something. Also, Visual Novels do count as games. There's a reason why there are several different genres that games can fit into.

That doesn't necessarily mean I can't suggest a game in the event that anyone is looking for something. Also, Visual Novels do count as games. There's a reason why there are several different genres that games can fit into.
Well... >.> Preemptive suggestions are kinda dubious if you ask me. Not to say I won't take them, but... well... ...nobody asked for them.
And Visual Novels aren't really games. They're more like text-based movies. Unless they offer the true game parts such as free-world travel, competition, the potential to lose and/or a clear scoring system, they're just VNs.

Well... >.> Preemptive suggestions are kinda dubious if you ask me. Not to say I won't take them, but... well... ...nobody asked for them.
And Visual Novels aren't really games. They're more like text-based movies. Unless they offer the true game parts such as free-world travel, competition, the potential to lose and/or a clear scoring system, they're just VNs.
Isn't decision making a big part of visual novels? Doesn't that qualify them as games? If not why, are they available on game consoles and game stores?
You don't have to enjoy them, but they are still games. They're just more story focused.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Isn't decision making a big part of visual novels? Doesn't that qualify them as games? If not why, are they available on game consoles and game stores?
You don't have to enjoy them, but they are still games. They're just more story focused.
When a VN has no decision-making options it's called a "Kinetic Novel." There are a few of those.
Don't ask me why they're marketed as though they're games, that'd lead into a downward spiral rant about how hollywood is invading the gaming industry, attempting to put less actual game into games for money's sake and some kinda idea that "games are an artform, let's make it confusing as hell."

Suffice to say, when I buy a game, I expect to use most of the buttons on my controller as I play it.

But they're played on video game platforms, and use video game engines. Sure, I don't fully see them as games either, but they're closer to games than to books or movies.

Reactions: MindzEye, Tri-force64 and Pandaxclone2
^ Not to mention those visual novels I suggested actually do have decision making and multiple endings involved. More of the button outputs are used to toggle text windows, tips on culture that weren't translated, a phone feature that's required to advance gameplay/plot at times and options.

Reactions: Tri-force64
The Danganronpa games are classed as VNs but they're more like games honestly. It depends on what VN you're talking about.

Anyone got any good horror games? Preferably cheap, or free. Prehaps maybe some more games like The Black Watchmen too, with ties to ARGs. Yes, I'm addicted to ARGs >.>

EDIT: Should probably make it a bit more clear. Physiological horrors. Not ones like Outlast or something, more like Layers of Fear. I don't like the ones where something with an AI is constantly chasing you since it just gets tedious after a short while for me and takes away the fun.

My only exception to that rule was Penumbra series and the Amnesia series since those are just classics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 and Pandaxclone2
The Danganronpa games are classed as VNs but they're more like games honestly. It depends on what VN you're talking about.

Anyone got any good horror games? Preferably cheap, or free. Prehaps maybe some more games like The Black Watchmen too, with ties to ARGs. Yes, I'm addicted to ARGs >.>

The main four I'm familiar with are Ib, Witch's House, Misao and Mad Father on the PC. Also, while this one isn't free, there's the Corpse Party franchise whose roots stem from RPG Maker's early days. You can purchase remakes of the first two titles on several platforms.

Reactions: 28142
The main four I'm familiar with are Ib, Witch's House, Misao and Mad Father on the PC. Also, while this one isn't free, there's the Corpse Party franchise whose roots stem from RPG Maker's early days. You can purchase remakes of the first two titles on several platforms.

All ready played all of those, not the latest corpse party though. I love all those kinda games, and it's just clever uses of RPG maker ^.^

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Dragon Quest IX if you have friends with ds's/3ds's that can play locally with you or Dragon Quest VII or Dragon Quest VIII all three are great games, though i recommend ARcodes for IX because the Nintendo Wifi is down and you could get loads of post game content with it(can link to the cheat codes so you can get the extra quests later :))

I'm looking for PSP games that have these specific conditions:

1. It should have character customization. It doesn't matter if I have to write them from scratch or editing existing ones, as long as the feature's there, even though I would prefer more on the former if possible.
2. I'd prefer much more if it's family friendly, as well.
3. These games could be either sports games (with exception of soccer and baseball), adventure or even RPG.
4. I wanted these games to be without any instance or mention of cussing and swearing.

I hope all of you can recommend me some games to enjoy :)

Tales of The World Radiant Mythology. It's a great RPG action game.
It's very animu but follows all your points .w. The game might be a little repetitive but I still found it enjoyable. You go from mission to mission, there is the story missions, side story missions and the grinding missions.

It's very animu but follows all your points .w. The game might be a little repetitive but I still found it enjoyable. You go from mission to mission, there is the story missions, side story missions and the grinding missions.

I think it follows almost all of my points (except for the last one, if ESRB's description is in any indication), but I might consider this, Vsun :)

Reactions: V_Weeb
why not mario sports mix? Aside from character customization, it has all of the things you want.

why not mario sports mix? Aside from character customization, it has all of the things you want.

Well, I did mention that I asked for PSP games here, and I think Mario Sports Mix is the game for Wii, so pardon me if your suggestion didn't fit the criteria, Whovian. But still, I'll consider it for my Wii :)

Won't you need to play the mainline Tales games to know the individual characters though?

Back