Is Nintendo really keeping the 3ds alive?

• Thread starter Duffy
  • Start date
Duffy

Duffy

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Preface: https://mynintendonews.com/2018/02/...ing-to-develop-new-software-for-nintendo-3ds/

So after resding that article, do you think Nintendo will actually keep developing and releasing 3ds games? They keep re saying that they are commites to the 3ds and I think a lot of people do not believe them. So do you think legit or nah? Are they trying to keep 3ds owners happy or are they being legit! Discuss below!

The DS came out almost one year before the Gameboy Micro launched, so I can't really tell...

Reactions: Duffy
No.
It had a good run, but I think they're gonna let it slip away quietly.
Hopefully the Eshop stays alive for a while longer though...

No.
It had a good run, but I think they're gonna let it slip away quietly.
Hopefully the Eshop stays alive for a while longer though...
I hope they keep the eshop alive for a while too. But I think they will. Considering the Wii eshop is alive right now, and it doesn't cost them that much. And with the promises they are doling out (see above) they are gonna need to keep at least the eshop open to deliver. I mean to me active development means new 1st party titles, which I thought were going to be sparse if at all... It's interesting to think about this if they do not chose to keep it alive.

Reactions: Farhaan Raja
I don't know how Pokemon Bank and transferring Pokemon to a future Switch Pokemon game are going to work without at least the 3DS eShop staying open. Unless they make a Switch Pokemon Bank but then what about Virtual Console Pokemon games on 3DS? Ugh, this is confusing.

The DS came out launched almost one year before the Gameboy Micro launched did, so I can't really tell...
*Launched, did. Sorry I'm on mobile...

But I also thought about it, what are they going to do with Pokemon Bank? PokeTransporter worked because of the 3DS's backwards compatibility and the downloaded VC, and Pokemon Bank worked by switching the cartridge or using downloaded games. But the switch isn't backwards compatible, and the 3DS Pokemon games can't be downloaded in it, so how are they going to do it? They may do it with Wi-Fi, and they may just end it. But they must keep Nintendo Network on the 3DS for a few years in order for it to work. Who knows?

Reactions: pokerus and Duffy
The 3/2ds is still going to be alive for a while longer. It's still quite popular, and loads of people still use their 3/2ds'. Games are still coming out for it and companies are still focusing on it alongside the switch. I don't know why people are always to quick to assume that now the Switch is massively popular, that the 3/2DS is going to die instantly. Nintendo even said themselves that the switch wasn't going to replace the 3/2DS so why would that mean that they stop caring for it? The 3/2DS is still bringing Nintendo a fair amount of money in, they're not going to cut that off just because of the Switch.

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64 and Duffy
Nope. I'm pretty sure they will start releasing less and less games for the system until it comes to a complete stop somewhere in like 2019.

Servers and eshop will be around for much longer though.

maybe they are maybe they aren't.
It depends how many people still play the 3ds or not.

maybe they are maybe they aren't.
It depends how many people still play the 3ds or not.
Kirby Battle Royale cracked the top 10 best selling weekly games for it’s release window in Japan (Source: VG Chartz). Regardless of what people think about how good that game is, that’s pretty decent for a 7 year old system. Maybe that’ll tell Nintendo people are still interested in 3ds.

Also I really don’t see a scenario where the nintendo network and eshop go down before 2020. I mean if the wii’s shop is going to make it to 2019...

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64 and 28142
They might drop support for older 3ds models(except for 2ds) soon.

They might drop support for older 3ds models(except for 2ds) soon.
What do you mean? Like new 3ds exclusives?

What do you mean? Like new 3ds exclusives?
Err, make more games for new 3ds and drop support for older systems

Err, make more games for new 3ds and drop support for older systems
hmm... interesting. As a new 3ds owner I wouldn't mind but I wonder how other people would feel about this. A lot of people do not like how certain games like minecraft are new 3ds exclusives...

I believe Nintendo should hold onto the 3DS a bit longer, at least until the Switch's library of games in better established. Right now according to the video @3dsCollector sourced; the 3DS seems to be doing well still in sales and don't forget the immense library of the 3DS with it's own games as well as playing DS games. Even if there is a direct descendant of the 3DS to coexist or work with the Switch directly, only time will tell because Nintendo is quite about it's future projects and etc. Nobody besides Nintendo knows what crazy thing or idea will be popped out next! I'm looking at the wildly successful Wii and the curious Labo for Switch.

Preface: https://mynintendonews.com/2018/02/...ing-to-develop-new-software-for-nintendo-3ds/

So after resding that article, do you think Nintendo will actually keep developing and releasing 3ds games? They keep re saying that they are commites to the 3ds and I think a lot of people do not believe them. So do you think legit or nah? Are they trying to keep 3ds owners happy or are they being legit! Discuss below!
It will be nice if they keep it alive as others have said it’s still pretty popular.
Plus I still enjoy my 3Ds along with my switch :p

I think that’s it’s going to stop selling in probably a couple years now that the switch is out the 3ds is still a great handheld but it’s been out for nearly 7 years which is a long time so the 3ds will probably end soon but we don’t know yet.

I think that’s it’s going to stop selling in probably a couple years now that the switch is out the 3ds is still a great handheld but it’s been out for nearly 7 years which is a long time so the 3ds will probably end soon but we don’t know yet.
A couple more years would be nice if it did keep selling. Nintendo couldn't just ignore it then, and 3rd parties would probably keep porting or translating.

The 3DS is still very alive. There are still games coming out for it. Perhaps Nintendo will slow it down and then one day the 3DS will stop selling.

Wait so you’re a “3ds collector” and your asking if the 3ds is going to stop selling :eyes2:

Back