Phoenix Wright Why is Dual Destinies rated M?

• Thread starter ShoxShark
  • Start date
ShoxShark

ShoxShark

The Shark :3
Towns Folk
I was just wondering why Dual Destinies is rated M. I have the demo, played it, and was really fun. When I went on eSho to check put the price on the 3DS and check out its ratings, I saw that it had the rating of M. Sure it has blood, but thats ok, MH3U and MH4U have blood, its rated T.It also has "language" I dont think many people care about that as long as they dont say things like the f word or the sh word. Suggestive themes? I never really knew what that meant xD. I think a 12 year old wpuld be able to play that game no problem, and its rwtes M?

I played the game ^-^ I think that the main reason why it's rated M is the the bloody cut-scenes that they show. Well, it's a lot more, realistic and they happen to be more gory compared to any of the previous games ( the old games didn't have cut-scenes so yeah ) I've never experienced any sort of bad language or cursing, never ever. There is only a rare occurrence of mature content but it's mostly humor. I believe most of the M rating is from the murders =/

I played the game ^-^ I think that the main reason why it's rated M is the the bloody cut-scenes that they show. Well, it's a lot more, realistic and they happen to be more gory compared to any of the previous games ( the old games didn't have cut-scenes so yeah ) I've never experienced any sort of bad language or cursing, never ever. There is only a rare occurrence of mature content but it's mostly humor. I believe most of the M rating is from the murders =/
I saw the pictures and blood, but it isnt that bad. Its from the murder, oh, lol, but the cutscenes/evidence isnt that bad. in the demo, the evidence showed that the detective hit her head on the rock. There was some blood, but I dont think it wpuld effect the gameplay of Dual Destinies

There's a certain scene in the last case that can be seen as a heavy subject matter. I mean it took me off guard , but the game itself is pretty much the same as the others for that sort of content. So if you are worried about anything too gruesome don't worry it's not that bad. I think it be fine overall it's a good game .

There's a certain scene in the last case that can be seen as a heavy subject matter.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the exact reason why Dual Destinies is M. If not for that one particular thing it'd be T just like the rest of them.

Scared the pants off me, it did.

Well it reference fifty shades and i think that is kinda asking for that M rating.

I was actually thinking about getting this game but the m rating made me think about not getting it but if it is rated m because of some blood and a one case then maybe I will get it the demo was good

I'm going to go a little bit further for those who don't quite understand.

Without spoiling too much, the reason Dual Destinies has an M rating is because of situation in the last case of the game that touches on the subject of "matricide." For those of you unaware, matricide is the term of killing one's mother. It is for this reason and a few disturbing images that Dual Destinies is rated M.

I'm going to go a little bit further for those who don't quite understand.

Without spoiling too much, the reason Dual Destinies has an M rating is because of situation in the last case of the game that touches on the subject of "matricide." For those of you unaware, matricide is the term of killing one's mother. It is for this reason and a few disturbing images that Dual Destinies is rated M.

Eh... Even after playing it, I never really agreed with it being M.
Yes the cutscenes make things a little more 'real' then previous games, but it's really not much.
And Phoenix Wright has touched on matricide and patricide before.
*Spoilers*
If Athena had been declared guilty of killing her mother, then maybe I could see the correlation to the M rating.
In Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (The first one), Edgeworth confronts his past regarding the DL-6 incident.
He believes that he is responsible for killing his father through most of it, and he is further pushed toward believing it by the testimony of Yani Yogi.

Now if you want to push the idea that it's matricide and that patricide alone isn't capable of giving an M rating, (Both aren't, really), then we can look to Bridge to the Turnabout, in Trials and Tribulations. Maya is accused late in the case of murdering her mother, Misty Fey, although under the control of someone else. It is proved the guilty one is Godot, though he attempts to cover his crime not by framing Maya, but rather by trying to do the opposite, make it look like she had nothing to do with it.

*Spoiler alert ahead for those of you who haven't played the game yet*

It's not just the matricide alone, it's also the fact that they show images of the daughter with her mother's dead body, covered in blood, and a particularly disturbing shot of the daughter with a disconnected smile on her face. Even the way the case handles it is a bit awkward, with the prosecution just going with it and saying what no-one else wants to say. Even the daughter thought she could "fix" her mother by getting her on that table, which is misconstrued a little as her trying to disassemble her mother.

It doesn't quite stack up to Edgeworth's patricide because It's left ambiguous as to what happened since a lot of it comes from year old records saying it's Yanni and Edgeworth who thought it's a dream, not to mention Edgeworth passed out immediately after throwing the gun. Edgeworth thinks he did it but in the end it turns out not so. Plus I doubt the whole matricide thing in the 3rd title matters much because it's still an accusation and doesn't touch on more than evidence linking her to being there.

Basically while those games touched on it and had a little evidence supporting it, Dual Destinies went full hog and tried it's best to make it seem like Athena did kill her mother. Even if she didn't, she was left in a room with her dead mother (and unlike Edgeworth, Athena was conscious) and because of the isolated world she's been living in thinks it's best to try and fix her. It's a pretty messed up situation for a child.

Last edited:
Basically...

"something is wrong with Mummy, so I'm going to fix her"

What is Dual Destinies?

What is Dual Destinies?

If you mean the game:

phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-dual-destinies.png

If you mean "What does 'Dual Destinies' mean?", the game's theme is about people's destinies being intertwined within the plot.

If you mean the game:

phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-dual-destinies.png

If you mean "What does 'Dual Destinies' mean?", the game's theme is about people's destinies being intertwined within the plot.
In that picture it says it’s rated T for teen, funny enough.

Back