When do you think the Wii U eShop will end?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
By now most of us should have heard the news about the Wii Shop Channel coming to an end. We will no longer be able to download our Wii games, which makes physical copies of games better in these cases.

I'm wondering when you guys think the Wii U eShop will be put to an end.

They said it would be some time next year but I think it's just the wii part , the wii u part should still be running at that time. I know I am going to try and get the games I was interested in before it goes down tho. Kind of sad to see it going down and I don't see why they just don't leave it up , if they did it would give them some sells cause it's not like there are people that don't have a wii or wii u.

I know this seems early, but maybe like a year after they get a good virtual console library on the switch.

Just going by how long they kept the Wii shop up, I think it'll probably be a few years into the next Nintendo console after the Switch. When the Switch is old, and something else is the new hot console item from Nintendo, then in a year or two the Wii U shop will close down. I wonder if the 3ds eshop will close at the same time or not. I hope it stays open for a long time.

I think it will come relatively quick, maybe end or 2018 or early 2019.

Wii shop stayed up for a while because the console was popular and they were still making sales. I doubt the Wii u is making enough sale right now to justify keeping it up as long as they did for the Wii =/

probally what @SunnyWindy said, but maybe annonced to end

I'm not really sure, because it seems like Nintendo wants to leave the Wii U with them closing down Miiverse and just porting some games to the Nintendo Switch or the Nintendo 3DS but the Wii Shop Channel lasted 13 years! That's crazy! I will guess that the Nintendo eShop will close down in 2022 or in 2023, depending if Nintendo is merceful enough!

I'm not entirely sure, but all I know is that it's probably gonna be soon. The Wii U was a flop, besides a few awesome games here and there, like Splatoon, that you just had to have. As well, almost no one uses the Wii U anymore, Most people have already moved to Switch, and even the 3DS is starting to be moved away from. I believe that from Nintendo's point of view, their main focus is the Switch right now, and the Wii U Eshop won't be around for much longer. What do you guys think?

The eShop on both the 3DS and Wii U seem to be tied somehow, kind of like how the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service was tied across the DS and Wii. Considering these things...

-The Wii Shop Channel is going down NEXT YEAR (I totally forgot it existed but whatevs) meaning, it'll have lasted about a decade and a half. That's insane.
-The 3DS and Wii U eShop have a vast library of titles, and when you look past the random developers that Nintendo get on this thing, the list of titles is pretty fantastic.
-Nintendo will probably shut down both shops at the same time so they can make room for the Switch shop (or whatever comes next).

So my guess would be that we have a few more years AT LEAST, especially for the 3DS's sake.

I think the Wii U will become obsolete sometime in 2019 next year. Once the switch has a big range of games setup, the Wii U will then lose internet related features. Miiverse was our first signal of that sadly.

I think the wifi support for Wii U will go away in 2019. Install base is too small and cost is too high to do it for free, and by then the paid switch services will be up by then (probably... who knows it might be delayed). It does not coast a lot to keep up the eShop up, so I think that will go away in 2020, significantly more dramatic then how long the Wii will be up for. That's what I guess at least. Nintendo always surprises me lol.

I predict it will happen around late 2018/early 2019. I think the eShop has lasted for many years but it's time will soon be up. Switch has pretty much taken over and Ninty's efforts will be focused on it fully (How it should be, We can expect great things). Wii U eShop had a good run and will be remembered. xd

I predict it will happen around late 2018/early 2019. I think the eShop has lasted for many years but it's time will soon be up. Switch has pretty much taken over and Ninty's efforts will be focused on it fully (How it should be, We can expect great things). Wii U eShop had a good run and will be remembered. xd
Do you think the Wii U's eShop will go down before even the OG Wii?? (Wii's shop goes down 2019)

I don't think anytime soon, the switch uses the same servers right? there both "E shop" same with the 3ds, I can imagine the switch, 3ds and switch version would all go out at the same time.
Do you think the Wii U's eShop will go down before even the OG Wii?? (Wii's shop goes down 2019)
Nope the vwii version will though or well at the same time

Prolly about as long as a gap as the original wii had before they shut it down honestly.

It will be a very long time, because switch uses same eshop currency and maybe even servers. The eshop is really the only revenue the wii u is still getting, so it will stay a good while longer.

I think the wifi support for Wii U will go away in 2019. Install base is too small and cost is too high to do it for free, and by then the paid switch services will be up by then (probably... who knows it might be delayed). It does not coast a lot to keep up the eShop up, so I think that will go away in 2020, significantly more dramatic then how long the Wii will be up for. That's what I guess at least. Nintendo always surprises me lol.
I disagree, considering the servers for the 3ds and the Wii u are the same I don't think it'll go down at least till the 3ds servers go down.

Eshop will also stay for a long time (again till the 3ds eshop goes down) especially when the Wii shop continues to stay up. Games like Mk8 and Smash continue to be pretty popular to play on so taking down the servers would be pretty disappointing and wouldn't make any sense when its connected to the 3ds servers.

I disagree, considering the servers for the 3ds and the Wii u are the same I don't think it'll go down at least till the 3ds servers go down.

Eshop will also stay for a long time (again till the 3ds eshop goes down) especially when the Wii shop continues to stay up. Games like Mk8 and Smash continue to be pretty popular to play on so taking down the servers would be pretty disappointing and wouldn't make any sense when its connected to the 3ds servers.

Did not realize the Wii U and 3ds servers are connected... in that case I can see them staying up at least until 2022, too far out to tell

I'm expecting the Wii U eShop to either end in 2021, or end when the Nintendo Switch gets a good Virtual Console library.
Meanwhile the 3DS eShop will probably stay afloat until around 2022.
Nintendo Switch eShop? 2026.

I'm expecting the Wii U eShop to either end in 2021, or end when the Nintendo Switch gets a good Virtual Console library.
Meanwhile the 3DS eShop will probably stay afloat until around 2022.
Nintendo Switch eShop? 2026.
Do you know how long it took for the Wii to die? The Wii U may be pretty much easy to homebrew, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo is going to give up on it so easy. Obviously it's going to stay for a long while, Wii U stays until 2024, and 3DS stays till 2025. Nintendo Switch stays still 2028

Note: You can still physically go to the Wii Shop Channel, and get the Legend of Zelda Skyward Swords Update

Back