How do you feel about Pikachu talking in Detective Pikachu?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
What's your opinion about Pikachu talking in that new Detective Pikachu game? :eek:

I swear, someone at Nintendo saw Guardians of the Galaxy and said "you know what we need? A Pokemon version of Rocket!" And then they laughed, had a drink, did river dancing on the table, and then passed out laughing.

Reactions: Artisan and 28142
I think it's weird. Just like the Pikachu talking in the latest movie. Weird. I just hope they have an option to turn it off so all gameplay isn't affected if someone doesn't want that.

Reactions: Alegria
If someone doesn't want a talking Pikachu, it's pretty clear Detective Pikachu isn't a game for them.

I was momentarily stunned watching a Pikachu talking during the trailer. It wasn't so much the fact that he was talking that bothered me per se, more that the voice actor doesn't seem to quite match a Pikachu. I'm sure it will pass in time though, as I did chuckle at that quick attack bit.

Reactions: Alegria and Duffy
I think we will better be able to answer this after playing the game. Right now it seems... kinda weird but I'm into it. I mean if meowth can talk why can't a pikachu talk, and solve crimes too apparently :hilarious:

Reactions: Pandaxclone2 and buckembarnes
Pikachu talking is always going to seem weird/ be weird. It wasn't as weird as I thought it would be as odd as that sounds. I sort of like the voice as it doesn't look like the voice a pikachu would have. This fact makes me very interested in the game.

Rats are too dumb to talk. Not even lab rats. Not even experimented on electric rats, but whatever it's Game Freak and they can do whatever they want. If the voice is British or sounds like catbug then I'm okay with it. Here's a sample:

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Rats are too dumb to talk. Not even lab rats. Not even experimented on electric rats, but whatever it's Game Freak and they can do whatever they want. If the voice is British or sounds like catbug then I'm okay with it. Here's a sample:
In case you're wondering, Detective Pikachu will be voiced by Ryan Reynolds, who did the voice of Deadpool. So, Catbug? Nope. :cool-pika:

In case you're wondering, Detective Pikachu will be voiced by Ryan Reynolds, who did the voice of Deadpool. So, Catbug? Nope. :cool-pika:

AFAIK that only applies to the movie adaption that's coming out in 2019. Not sure if Ryan Reynolds will be voicing Detective Pikachu in the game though.

Lmao I like it in a weird way. It sounds and looks weird but it's defs amusing. Dunno if the game is for me because I haven't seen much gameplay but I like talking Pikachu.

While initially I find it somewhat unusual for Detective Pika to talk, I'm reminded of how Meowth from Team Rocket can as well, so I think it can work well in a way.

And from what I checked on the demo, it seems that the other people in-game (with exception of Tim Goodman) couldn't hear Detective Pika speaking in human language. So I think Detective Pika speaking being understandable only by Tim might work well without mostly affecting what you know about Pikachu, because I presume the others would only hear Detective Pika speaking the Pika speak. This is what makes Detective Pika unique in a way, and it's helpful for helping Tim to solve the cases as well.

The only way I can think about this game (so not only the fact that Pikachu does talk, not only in a weird voice for a Pikachu, not only that,
if I got it well, he can't use thunder attacks
, but also the fact the Pikachu is a detective, which is incredibly weird for a Pokémon who is supposed to get directives from their trainer to do a proper fight! When did he get so smart?)
, is that this game could exist, the concept looks fun, the work looks well done, but not in the Pokémon world! The guys could have made a whole different universe, but they just used Pokémon because they were lazy?

It's weird. I have played the demo yesterday, and it's just... weird. I know only Tim understands him, but a detective? That's a mouse! An electric mouse! Meanwhile Ash's Pikachu loses to a level 5 Snivy (I know it's level got resetted or however you spell it, but still). I was surprised to see that the game got good reviews, because I expected the critics to give it terrible scores.

I don't like it. I accepted that Meowth could talk but honestly, I don't think they should talk.... They're pets, I would be scared shizless if my cat started speaking suddenly. Specially because all he would say all day is "Food? Feed me. Food." LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I sure hope the movie is still coming because that would be great. However what I have seen from the demo isn’t great. It’s a children’s game and that voice is really weird in that context. “This pokemon had something important to say to help us solve the mystery. What was that again? Right, the mankey who stole the necklace had white paint on his tail.. I think we saw some paint in the shape of a mankeys tail, so which way did the mankey with the necklace go? Right. Work with me, i think you have what it takes to become a great detective like me, eventually.”
Its very much like a children’s show where they ask questions they don’t expect you to answer but this game you actually have to answer. Im hoping a movie would drop the kiddie vibe and have more fun stuff.

I feel like the idea of detective Pikachu itself is pretty stupid. What’s next? Are we going to make him an astronaut?

I love the idea, and think it would've been cool to have a talking pikachu (or at least one that says "pika pika" with subtitles). However, whoms't the actual heck thought it was a good idea to make pikachu sound like a middle-aged grumpy man? Like, why?? I imagined him with a cuter, more feminine voice. Maybe even a girl pikachu, idk.

Based on my experience with the demo, the gameplay is tedious (just 'asking questions' at people), and the quick-time event things are... a really poor decision. Bland and pointless. Why do I need to press A for him to climb a tree? How is that fun?

I imagined him with a cuter, more feminine voice. Maybe even a girl pikachu, idk.

Something to do with this, I wonder?

Which is further removed since Ash's Pikachu is basically male... (Female Pikachus have a heart-tipped tail.)

Something to do with this, I wonder?
(Female Pikachus have a heart-tipped tail.)

I know the difference. Make the pikachu female.
It'd be a lot more interesting than Mr. Touch Guy 'Chu

I know the difference. Make the pikachu female.
It'd be a lot more interesting than Mr. Touch Guy 'Chu

But then it newcomers would think something is off about Pikachu's appearance. :eek:

(For the record, I know what you're getting at. And of course you know the difference. Got to think about people reading these posts in the future too. :p)

Back