Splatoon could have had Yoshi as the main character

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
No way. I'm glad they didn't put Yoshi or Rabbits in the game .-.

But the development team were considering many different types of characters to put in the game. They were ever considering Mario. Now that's one character I'm glad wasn't made the main character. He has too many games already. It was about time for something new and fresh <3

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/24/splatoon-potentially-yoshi-main-character/

I have no idea why they'd consider putting in astronauts :panda:

Reactions: Dark Link
Man I really like Yoshi ,but I'm very glad that didn't happen. I like how the rabbits have the same vibe as the Inklings , but it's just too weird to look at for too long. lol Interesting idea for having an astronaut like suit . Maybe at one point there was talks about make space turf wars. They should at least made astronaut like gear as a throw back to this little idea.

It would have been interesting if they put yoshi in the game. What exactly would Yoshi be doing in the game? Like mentioned I am glad they didn't put Yoshi in the game. It was great already on how they made the game. If they put yoshi in the game maybe it wouldn't be as good?

The squid kids work pretty well in this case.

The rabbits look like something out of Epic Mickey. :p

It would have been interesting if they put yoshi in the game. What exactly would Yoshi be doing in the game? Like mentioned I am glad they didn't put Yoshi in the game. It was great already on how they made the game. If they put yoshi in the game maybe it wouldn't be as good?

If Yoshi were in Spaltoon 2 I could see Yoshi throwing eggs like paint grenades and covering a large area with corresponding colored ink. May be Yoshi could "eat" an Inkling and pop them out as an egg that would explode either as a time bomb (based on how long it takes to respawn) or throw them as an egg grenade. I don't play or own Splatoon 2 currently despite having a Switch, maybe I would be interested if Yoshi and other familiar Nintendo characters were in the game...

Reactions: Mikaya
Oh thank god. I don't hate yoshi but whenever Nintendo uses yoshis, the game sees very very childish... Splatoon has a very unique style that probably would not have worked with yoshi, or anything besides inklings.

Reactions: Mikaya
That would have been weird, but if it was done with those characters, the gameplay would have changed to make more sense with those characters. The way the game was going, squids were one of the only options. Maybe rabbits could burrow in thier territory and that would work, but yoshi would have been strange. Though sunshine yoshi was also weird, so maybe they could ruin yoshi’s reputation further.

Yoshi seems like a weird pick. Yoshi as a playable character would just not work. It would not work with the splatoon lore and stuff. A yoshi costume would definitely work though. Or the best possible way to incorporate yoshi into splatoon would be to add a yoshi themed map. A yoshi map seems perfect because it would be a bright and colorful map which is perfect for splatoon. Maybe yoshi can appear in the background.

It would make sense to me Putting Yoshi in a paint ball game. Mainly because of the lore behind his attack options. In SMW he can shoot fire out his mouth. In Yoshi's Island he can spit seeds of different elements and shoot Eggs of different sizes. In Super Mario Sunshine he can Spit juice out and that's really the part that matches with Splatoon. Thinking about it now if they wanted Yoshi to be the main species then it would have flutter jump and some way to hide. I'm glad Splatoon can have you sorta hide while charging up ink to make it more enjoyable.

Reactions: Deepak
I'm really glad they didn't use Yoshi. He's already got his spin-off series and it's nice to finally see a series was a new mascot. Or even a new series overall, though I've never played it, I tire of seeing the countless Mario or Pokemon titles they bring out.

Rabbits look interesting, but how would they have worked? The ink is quite an important aspect of Splatoon so only the squid motif could've really worked. Maybe they originally intended to have paint instead of ink?

Astronauts look too dull and emotionless to really fit Nintendo's theme at all. Really glad they didn't go with that.

I'm pretty glad they didn't make splatoon a mario game. It be pretty bizzare to have mario shooting paint when sunshine exists. The rabbits are interesting i guess. It's pretty neat to see their thought proccess when creating the characters for splatoon. Though i prefer the fact they choose squids over rabbits to maintain a sense of coherency in the game. Also the very first tofu demo is pretty neat to look at to, despite it being in only black and white.

Back