Do you prefer to buy full games retail/physical or digital?

• Thread starter 18
  • Start date

Do you prefer digital or retail full releases?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime Pawpaw
Towns Folk
A lot of full, $40 3DS games have made their way onto the eShop. I'd like to ask you guys - do you prefer to buy such games retail or digital if both are available?

With retail, you get to keep the game if unluckily your 3DS's system software goes awry (not that that's ever happened to me, thank God), you can sell it off if you don't like it anymore, and you have a nice cover to put the cartridge in. You can have many games even if your SD card's capacity is small.

On the other hand, the game can get physically damaged and can't be redownloaded like digital games can, and if you have many retail games it's a problem carrying them around for you adventurous travels.

With digital games, you can redownload the game if your SD card gets damaged because your eShop account is linked with the 3DS, and many early 3DS games got price drops when they came on the eShop. You also don't have to change cartridges.

But you can't sell the game off. Once you buy it, you're stuck with it. You also lose the cover, which can be works of art in themselves. If digital full releases grow, the quality of game covers is likely to deterioate, much like how digital media and e-books killed the art of music album and book covers.

Personally I'm all for retail. What about you guys?

Reactions: Leej07 and Marc
Digital! Retail/physical 3DS games here are almost triple the price tag. Purchasing the games from the eShop is a lot cheaper for me and it's more convenient. Plus I hate switching cartridges over and over again, :oops:

There are more cons to buying 3DS games via eShop. If your 3DS breaks, you lose everything, :eek: Not to mention the loss of data due to errors (I never got 'em before). I recall @ErixSan sharing his experience with this.

Reactions: Mehedi123
Digital! Retail/physical 3DS games here are almost triple the price tag. Purchasing the games from the eShop is a lot cheaper for me and it's more convenient. Plus I hate switching cartridges over and over again, :oops:

There are more cons to buying 3DS games via eShop. If your 3DS breaks, you lose everything, :eek: Not to mention the loss of data due to errors (I never got 'em before). I recall @ErixSan sharing his experience with this.

I was using a MicroSD that time, so I suppose that was the main problem :D
I have to make an intentional error on my console and publish how to fix it...

Well, on the other side, I have the same problems with @Marc
The price tag of physicals game cost me almost triple, so buying games on eShop is a lot cheaper.

Well, also you can play every game every time you want without switching cartridges so it's so much convenient.

I'll have to go with Digital games. They're easy to buy, easy to keep around and we don't have to worry about losing the carts and stuff. Digital is better.

I'll have to go with physical. I like having the box and the manual with me. Also, the fresh new smell when you open up a physical game is the best.

Reactions: gamerboyblue and animalcrossindaddict
give me retail versions, I enjoy holding the game between my hands.

Reactions: Kaynil
I'll have to go with physical. I like having the box and the manual with me. Also, the fresh new smell when you open up a physical game is the best.

Yes, I love that too, but now with the price tags, I not interested paying more for just a box and a manual.
Last console buying physical games: PS3

Yes, I love that too, but now with the price tags, I not interested paying more for just a box and a manual.Last console buying physical games: PS3
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD came out as a digital version last Friday. The retail version hits stores two weeks later. I'm just here waiting for the retail version... :whistle:

Reactions: amirally27
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD came out as a digital version last Friday. The retail version hits stores two weeks later. I'm just here waiting for retail version... :whistle:

What about Super Luigi Bros?

What about Super Luigi Bros?
I got both the DLC and retail version. I couldn't resist not having that green box on my shelf. :)

I got both DLC and retail versions. I couldn't resist not having that green box on my shelf. :)

You bought that two times? :p

Well, do you can receive Club Nintendo Platinum Prices?

You bought that two times?

Well, do you can receive Club Nintendo Platinum Prices?
Of course I bought both versions. I collect Wii U Nintendo games.

Huh...?

I prefer retail. I love having the game to add to my collection, and the boxes are super neat. :D

Reactions: Onett
I like having the physical copy. The act of purchasing a game allows you to leave your house and get moving. Although purchasing the game digitally saves times and everything, memory can sometimes be an issue. I also enjoy having the boxes that come with the games. The option to sell and trade the games after I'm done is always a plus.

I have the same problem with @Marc and @ErixSan ,yup Retail is more expensive where I live compare-to the Digital download and where I live its kinda hard to find used games and if you want to sell used games its hard to find buyers .So Digital all the way :)

I have the same problem with @Marc and @ErixSan ,yup Retail is more expensive where I live compare-to the Digital download and where I live its kinda hard to find used games and if you want to sell used games its hard to find buyers .So Digital all the way :)

If you found someone is selling used games, where I live, it's at the same price (or expensive) than the digital version :p

I prefer the physical copy of the game.

I prefer the physical copy of the game.

I agree with you. The only digital games I have are the regular eShop games.

Digital only because I just don't feel like buying retail for some reason now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back