Is it worth getting a Circle Pad Pro to play Monster Hunter?

• Thread starter Clavier141
  • Start date
Clavier141

Clavier141

Digimon Fanatic. 3DS FC: 3952-7481-0269
Towns Folk
I'm really interested in playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and in future Monster Hunter 4, but I've heard that the controls are a nightmare without a circle pad pro. I've got a 3DS XL so I'd have to get an XL one too, making it even more expensive and even less portable. Is it worth investing in one so I can play comfortably? Bearing in mind I'm not interested in any other games that use it such as Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear or Resident Evil.

Not really, the lock-in mechanic is enough to get reacquainted to camera controls. Just remember to put the camera controls on the lower screen.

I used to play MH using the claw, playing without it is awkward at first but you'll get a hang of it real quick. The only real place I can see it making a difference is in underwater battles and that's only when you're not using a GS.

Reactions: Kadaj and Clavier141
I think you should wait to get the 3DS XL's new model hopefully coming out in the West at most by the late 2015 winter season. Circle Pad Pro support is built in as well as the ZL and ZR buttons the Circle Pad Pro had, plus the updated and stronger firmware. As soon as it comes out, prices for the older ones will drop, so I suggest you save your money until them.

Reactions: Clavier141
I don't really think that you will have much of a hard time using just the A/B/X/Y buttons to control the camera. I personally find it really convenient to use the regular buttons on the 3DS, and the Circle Pad Pro would be needed for games which require very precise controls, like in Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D or Resident Evil: Revelations.

Im no expert but I'm 20 hours in and the regular controls are fine. The touch camera controls are surprisingly responsive and the lock on system helps fix it even more. And underwater controls do suck but it's good enough IMO.

The controls are alright without the CPP, but if you really wanted to invest some time into Monster Hunter, a Circle Pad Pro is a worthwhile investment. It has made MH3U much more comfortable and enjoyable for me. MH4U will be another great game to play with the accessory. For ~$20, it isn't too expensive and you can probably get it online fairly easily. You could always wait for the New 3DS, although its C-Stick seems pretty small (I can't judge on its comfortability yet though).

on 3ds i don't have monster hunter 3 but i have played the demo and i found it easy to use and unless the circle pad pro thing has more games that use the feature or i get more action type games,i don't have many(prefer RPG or VN), then i might consider it but right now its just another gimmick nintendo made to get more money $.$

I'm really interested in playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and in future Monster Hunter 4, but I've heard that the controls are a nightmare without a circle pad pro. I've got a 3DS XL so I'd have to get an XL one too, making it even more expensive and even less portable. Is it worth investing in one so I can play comfortably? Bearing in mind I'm not interested in any other games that use it such as Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear or Resident Evil.
Yes, You will definitely love it. Otherwise, the game will annoy you at times with very weird camera angles ruining the whole gameplay. Get it and you'll understand what I'm talking about or you can wait for the New 3DS which has a built-in Circle Pad Pro.

I think it is a good choice, I bought mh3 ultimate digitally and I didn't start playing it until I got the circle pad pro, as dilawer states the camera without the accesorie will annoy you at times. I am playing the game with the circle pad pro and the experience is awesome, because it is not just that ok i'll lock the target with R and that'll be it, you will need the camera even to look for other things besides monsters.

I know this post is old as hell but...

Blademasters; The CPP is an absolute luxury, but not a necessity. The virtual D-pad is good enough & you can alter it's size to make it more comfortable, but having that extra camera option & extra buttons is really helpful.

Gunner/Bow: Definitely a necessity. It is managable, but aiming with a virtual d-pad is harder than it sounds.

It also makes the thing comfier.

The new 3d adds other advantages to Monster Hunter 4u & Generations other than a built in cpp. It has better loading times & better textures.

I played monster hunter on my wii u before trying it on 3ds, and the difference is obvious. Having two sticks is just better. Sure, you can get used to using the touch screen, or worse, the d-pad, or you can use a second stick and be able to move the camera while using other buttons too.

If I were to get Monster Hunter for 3DS, I would probably pick up a circle pad. I bet it makes the game wayyy better.

Back