What set of PC would you build at THIS moment?

• Thread starter 3D ARlife
  • Start date

3D ARlife

New Kid on the Block
Towns Folk
I need a new set of PC for my corner as my laptop can't stand the heat (even with the cooler)

I'm having a budget about $500-700. The good new is I like the GTX 1060 (I heard it's cool) and the bad new is that's pretty much all I know. With the GTX 1060, what other parts would you buy with? with about the budget? Thanks

I'm guessing that you need all the peripherals with it too, monitors and such. If you get the GeForce GTX 1060, you're not leaving much money for anything else since that's going to cost almost half your budget there.

Reactions: 28142
Please note that this is my own opinions on what might be best. This may not be the best build for the budget given, but it is my best attempt. All prices are taken from PC Part Picker at the time of writing. This also may go over budget, but this is just a rough estimate of what would be a very good build, and if you look hard enough, it is possible. I'm also sorry for this massive wall of text D:

Ok, so since you're looking at the 1060 I'm guessing you're more wanting a gaming rig. This guide is more for buying all of the parts separately, and judging from your post, you've never built a computer before.That's ok! If you want to build it then a full PC build may be slightly overwhelming if you don't know what to do, but there's loads of guides online to help you. Otherwise, there may be a computer shop near to you who will take the parts and assemble the computer for you for a fee. All the underlined parts are the parts themselves, the rest is explaining my reasoning to those parts, prices, ect. I also wont include optical drives, case, or any peripherals (and probably some other things too) since they mostly just come down to choice and/or budget.

If you're wanting a great graphics card, then on your budget you may have to be a bit less on other things. Overall I'd recommend an Intel Core i5-6600K. These usually go for about low to mid $200.

Motherboard is probably one of the most important parts of your build. MSI - Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 I'd probably recommend since it's very good from what I've heard and supports up to 64GB of memory (if you really want to go that mad). 4 slots for RAM too so you can upgrade whenever (as long as the RAM is compatible). It's a bit steep though at about $200. This motherboard goes really nice with the 6600K though.

For RAM/Memory either 8 or 16 GB would do (2x4 or 2x8 preferably) and this bit really kinda depends both on budget and what you want to do on the PC. Are you going to be playing games that are RAM heavy, or can you spare a bit of money on the RAM and only get 8GB? You could go DDR3 or DDR4, 3 is cheaper, but 4 is supported by a lot more things now so it may be worth upgrading. You can leave that off for another time though and just get DDR3 now if your budget doesn't stretch that far. Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 is 2 lots of 4GB DDR4 and is about $60. With the motherboard above, you could buy a second set of these at later date if you wish, then you'd have a total of 16GB.

Hard drives you could either get one small one for your OS to go onto, or a large one and partition it. Either way, I couldn't recommend Western Digital enough. They'll last you a great amount of time before it dies on you (with performance decrease of course). Hard drives kinda depend on what money you have left in your budget and what you want to do with them, but Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM is a real nice drive. It's 1TB, and there are many different sizes available for different prices. This particular drive goes for about $50. It is a HDD but it performs almost as fast as an SSD so no worries there.

For the power supply, this is incredibly important. If you buy one that's too weak then you could end up with no power going to your graphics card along with other things, and it's just be a waste of money. Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX would do you good for now, it's about $50 too.

Cooling, Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing would do the job, I've heard complaints that it can get a tad bit loud, but otherwise it's a pretty good CPU cooler. It's also around $20-$30 so good price too.

Video card, now for the main piece of any gaming rig. With the 1060, it'd play nicely with the rest of the parts I've already said, but you'll be pushing it on the budget a little bit. Since, the minimum average of the parts above comes to about $580. Now, a 1060 is about $300, so you'll be over budget by about $100. The GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB may be a bit better, it's still a very good card, just on the cheaper side, costing only about $200. Still averaging over budget though, but depending on how much your other parts come to and how cheap you can find them, it may be under budget.

Now that build is VERY good, and it would be kind hard to find the parts cheaper then average. I'd recommend surfing around PC part picker and looking at some completed budget builds on there that people have done. That'll tell you what parts are compatible with each other too. Of course, that there isn't a full build, since I think this post would just be way too long of a read otherwise. What I have listed though are pretty much the main body of a computer and the most important bits. I'll probably edit this post if I change my mind on things.

Total average price of all that I've listed in this post: $780 ($80 over)

Reactions: 3D ARlife, Marc and Alex
Please note that this is my own opinions on what might be best. This may not be the best build for the budget given, but it is my best attempt. All prices are taken from PC Part Picker at the time of writing. This also may go over budget, but this is just a rough estimate of what would be a very good build, and if you look hard enough, it is possible. I'm also sorry for this massive wall of text D:

Ok, so since you're looking at the 1060 I'm guessing you're more wanting a gaming rig. This guide is more for buying all of the parts separately, and judging from your post, you've never built a computer before.That's ok! If you want to build it then a full PC build may be slightly overwhelming if you don't know what to do, but there's loads of guides online to help you. Otherwise, there may be a computer

buiilds on there that people have done. That'll tell you what parts are compatible with each other too. Of course, that there isn't a full build, since I think this post would just be way too long of a read otherwise. What I have listed though are pretty much the main body of a computer and the most important bits. I'll probably edit this post if I change my mind on things.

Total average price of all that I've listed in this post: $780 ($80 over)
Very, very useful. Many thanks there. I'm about to order this set https://thegreatsetup.com/builds/best-gaming-pc-under-700/ My friends recommended me this and I find it pretty good.

As of the graphic card (my top concern), it's GTX1060 as I heard GTX1050Ti is a bit low on price/performance. The set plugs a core i5-7400, I'll find more details about these two and decide later.
And by way, I found a core Xeon chip, I heard it's as good as (or better) than i5, but different comments on the internet kinda confuse me, if you have an idea, please tell

With your set, I'll consider another extra $20 for the $800 set but I don't want things exceed too much.
What I didn't like about this set is the HDD 2TB is not so necessary for me, I'll remove it to buy a HDD and a 128GB SSD.

I found myself a very reasonable deal on eBay, a Dell gaming PC with an XFX one graphics card built-in, for at least 120$ (It runs on Windows 10, but that is a debatable interface.)

I would probably consider that PC with the GTX thingy you mentioned earlier, because you can insert it later on. (Mine also has an opening in the back, so I guess it's for an extra Graphics card.)

Very, very useful. Many thanks there. I'm about to order this set https://thegreatsetup.com/builds/best-gaming-pc-under-700/ My friends recommended me this and I find it pretty good.

As of the graphic card (my top concern), it's GTX1060 as I heard GTX1050Ti is a bit low on price/performance. The set plugs a core i5-7400, I'll find more details about these two and decide later.
And by way, I found a core Xeon chip, I heard it's as good as (or better) than i5, but different comments on the internet kinda confuse me, if you have an idea, please tell

With your set, I'll consider another extra $20 for the $800 set but I don't want things exceed too much.
What I didn't like about this set is the HDD 2TB is not so necessary for me, I'll remove it to buy a HDD and a 128GB SSD.

For that HDD, I'd recommend keeping that, and just buying a smaller drive (like a 128GB) just for your boot drive, because trust me, if you're gonna be playing games, you'll use up a lot of space quickly.

I have got a couple issues with that build though, for one, the CPU is worse then the one I recommended, the i5-6600K is better then the i5-7400 in pretty much everything, the 7400 is just a bit cheaper, but not by very much. If you're wanting a newer processor that's better then the 6600K, then go for the 7600K, but even that for the extra £20 price tag, isn't that much better then the 6600K. (http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7600K/3503vs3885 (With the core that's better then both the core in the $700 build and the core I recommend.) - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7400/3503vs3886 (With the core in the Under $700 build)).

The GPU though, get the 1060 if you can though, since yes, it is a better card overall, I just recommended the 1050 Ti since, well, budget ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That build hasn't got a cooler though (Or well, it maybe has a stock one, but they're not the best things ever), so you'll have to get one yourself. Again though, I'd recommend the cooler I suggested above.

With the $800 build too, the CPU isn't as good as the original CPU I recommended (and still not really any cooler).

I found myself a very reasonable deal on eBay, a Dell gaming PC with an XFX one graphics card built-in, for at least 120$ (It runs on Windows 10, but that is a debatable interface.)

I would probably consider that PC with the GTX thingy you mentioned earlier, because you can insert it later on. (Mine also has an opening in the back, so I guess it's for an extra Graphics card.)

With the "opening" that could be for quite a few things, that's also on the case, you'll have to see on your mobo if there's a spare PCI-e x16 slot that'll fit the card in and then see if the slot on the case lines up right with the PCI-e slot.

With that budget, you can build one heck of a good computer for about $300. That leaves you with $200-400 to really deck it out. Look up some tutorials on how to build a gaming PC and you'll be all set. If you have any problems also, feel free to PM me. I've been working with electronics for years and don't mean to brag but I know my stuff. Unfortunately, I don't do well in other areas, i.e. math and science :p but yeah look at a couple of tutorials and shoot me a message if you need help!

For that HDD, I'd recommend keeping that, and just buying a smaller drive (like a 128GB) just for your boot drive, because trust me, if you're gonna be playing games, you'll use up a lot of space quickly.

I have got a couple issues with that build though, for one, the CPU is worse then the one I recommended, the i5-6600K is better then the i5-7400 in pretty much everything, the 7400 is just a bit cheaper, but not by very much. If you're wanting a newer processor that's better then the 6600K, then go for the 7600K, but even that for the extra £20 price tag, isn't that much better then the 6600K. (http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7600K/3503vs3885 (With the core that's better then both the core in the $700 build and the core I recommend.) - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7400/3503vs3886 (With the core in the Under $700 build)).

The GPU though, get the 1060 if you can though, since yes, it is a better card overall, I just recommended the 1050 Ti since, well, budget ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That build hasn't got a cooler though (Or well, it maybe has a stock one, but they're not the best things ever), so you'll have to get one yourself. Again though, I'd recommend the cooler I suggested above.

With the $800 build too, the CPU isn't as good as the original CPU I recommended (and still not really any cooler).
Hi, thanks. yea it's true I need another cooler lol. And about the i5 vs xeon chip please?

Back