Ultra S/M Do you like the darker aspects they've been adding recently?

• Thread starter SmashChamp
  • Start date
SmashChamp

SmashChamp

If life gives you pickles, you should eat them.
Towns Folk
So, when looking around I've seen that some of the new Pokemon games have had a bit of a darker twist to them, such as the new side effects to mega evolution.

On the subject of the mega evolution, I don't like it, like at all. It seems like they don't want you to use mega evolution, it was intended to be temporary, which is fine. I personally wish it was a permanent feature, as it was really cool, much more so than Z Moves IMHO.

The thing that bothers me though, is that I think they forgot what mega evolution was meant to be. It used your bonds with your Pokemon to unlock a new, stronger form. And, by using your bonds with your Pokemon, your Gengar turns into a serial killer, or by using the wonderful power of bonds, you doom your Scizor to a painful death by melting!

I get that they wanted to encourage players not to use mega evolution, it was met to be temporary. Maybe they were trying to appeal to a different crowd while doing darker stuff? I can understand, but I feel like the mega evolution details were unnecessary...

They did also give some normal Pokemon darker entries as well, which I don't mind nearly as much. Pokemon are hunted in the wild, it's natural. It gives a new reward when you catch them, you save them from the cruelty of the wild. It also makes releasing your Pokemon into the wild more discouraging, but I didn't usually release them anyways.

Anyways, that's just my opinion, what are yours on the matter? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I don't know what to say; anything I try to type in I change my mind later.

But as to how I feel about it, I think it's alright. It's nothing that makes the games change ultimately, but it's a nice little side fact to get the Pokémon games a little more depth.

Personally I think Mega Evolution kind of breaks some battles... I'd have been fine with it staying in gen 6.
I am ok with darker tones in pokemon, after all I am getting older now.
I did not mind the whole Lusamine is a terrible mother thing, it makes Lily and Gladion seem like real characters, even though it is really kind of messed up.

I don't know what to say; anything I try to type in I change my mind later.

But as to how I feel about it, I think it's alright. It's nothing that makes the games change ultimately, but it's a nice little side fact to get the Pokémon games a little more depth.
That is true, it does give them a bit more depth. Personally I just don't like the mega evolution, I'm fine with the rest.
Personally I think Mega Evolution kind of breaks some battles... I'd have been fine with it staying in gen 6.
I am ok with darker tones in pokemon, after all I am getting older now.
I did not mind the whole Lusamine is a terrible mother thing, it makes Lily and Gladion seem like real characters, even though it is really kind of messed up.
True, I can see how it'd appeal. I'm perfectly cool with mega evolution being a one gen thing, but I think it would've been best to just simply remove it.

Yeah, I don't mind it either, it works rather well as a plot point.

Overall, it's more of the mega evolution that I think is kind unneeded. I feel like they could've simply removed it instead.

Reactions: Duffy
Personally I enjoy the "darker' or more realistic aspect of the Sun/Moon and US/UM Pokedex. I'm a fan of nature and science shows and the more realistic Pokedex entries seem to bring a piece of our world to the Pokemon world as "nature has a cruel side" as Hau states early in game. Life isn't fair all the time and the Pokemon world is no different, a Pokemon eat Pokemon world as well.

Reactions: SmashChamp and Duffy
Pokemon's always been dark to my knowledge. (Frightening specter Gengar is never far behind in this list thanks to his hauntings. And Parasect is flipping scary when you look deeper into his dex entries.)
Lusamine isn't the first horrible parent. (She isn't even inherently a horrible parent.) Giovanni was a jerk father to Crystal.

Last edited:
Pokemon's always been dark to my knowledge. (Frightening specter Gengar is never far behind in this list thanks to his hauntings. And Parasect is flipping scary when you look deeper into his dex entries.)
Lusamine isn't the first horrible parent. (She isn't even inherently a horrible parent.) Giovanni was a jerk father to Crystal.
You are right, there has always been some dark undertones in Pokemon but I think now's it's getting to be more mainstream in the main game.
The whole Giovanni is Silver's dad thing was not a major part of the game like lusamine was. The only way to even find out Giovanni was Silver's dad was to take a certain event celebi to a certain location in HGSS. I think it's fair to say it's obscure at best, and on every "top ten Pokemon facts you don't know" video on YouTube at worst.

Reactions: Ace
I think it's rad.

Reactions: Duffy
So, when looking around I've seen that some of the new Pokemon games have had a bit of a darker twist to them, such as the new side effects to mega evolution.

On the subject of the mega evolution, I don't like it, like at all. It seems like they don't want you to use mega evolution, it was intended to be temporary, which is fine. I personally wish it was a permanent feature, as it was really cool, much more so than Z Moves IMHO.

The thing that bothers me though, is that I think they forgot what mega evolution was meant to be. It used your bonds with your Pokemon to unlock a new, stronger form. And, by using your bonds with your Pokemon, your Gengar turns into a serial killer, or by using the wonderful power of bonds, you doom your Scizor to a painful death by melting!

I get that they wanted to encourage players not to use mega evolution, it was met to be temporary. Maybe they were trying to appeal to a different crowd while doing darker stuff? I can understand, but I feel like the mega evolution details were unnecessary...

They did also give some normal Pokemon darker entries as well, which I don't mind nearly as much. Pokemon are hunted in the wild, it's natural. It gives a new reward when you catch them, you save them from the cruelty of the wild. It also makes releasing your Pokemon into the wild more discouraging, but I didn't usually release them anyways.

Anyways, that's just my opinion, what are yours on the matter? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

@Ace is right! Pokemon's always been dark... I like how they try to snap you out of thinking "it's a kid's game". The bright colors and cheerful music always seem overly happy at first: ...but catching the Pokemon let's you realistically know Pokemon IS short for Pocket Monsters. They WILL eat you, and each other... They are dangerous (Grimer/muck other Pokemon who's very existence is destructive...) and they're suffering like humans do too... They're still suffering even when you catch them, true... they're MUCH safer in pokeballs CPUs and daycare... But when you make them fight, YOU are telling them to hurt themselves and others!
I think they really are trying to get you to see the game realistically: and know full well what you're making them do, and what is happening to them when they fight! Nintendo wants you to grow closer to these creatures who'll do ANYTHING you say no matter what happens to them. Despite their pain... 9r the scary thought that they'll wake up out their rampage, to find they killed their trainer! (Gengar's scare me so badly...) I think they really do want t\you to take the game seriously when you play, instead of just forcing your pokemon to beat themselves and others to death...

Reactions: SmashChamp
I havent played usum but there is something really disturbing about one of the new areas
Once you can travel to ultra space and go through wormholes if you are lucky enough you can find ultra ruins. Upon further investigations its a ruined haouli city. Evrn the music is haouli city theme reversed.
prettyspokky right?

Reactions: Duffy and Kakea
I'm not fond of the Mega Evolution change, not because it's "dark", but because it retcons what X and Y established. Sun and Moon is just one generation later, did GameFreak change their mind completely on what Mega Evolution was supposed to be? That, or they made Mega Evolution darker to make Z-moves seem more appealing.

Pokémon is no stranger for darker themes, it's just more apparent now. The Pokédex entries have always had some less pleasant details about certain species, there are just a lot more of them in recent gens (assuming the Sun and Moon entries don't suffer from an unreliable narrator). Playing the games as a kid, I remember being morbidly fascinated by Lavender Town, the Old Chateau, the Abandoned Ship and the Pokémon Mansion. None of them were quite what you expected to find in a child-friendly Nintendo game, I remember discussing and speculating about them a lot. Nintendo likes sneaking uncharacteristically dark themes into a lot of their franchises, Pokémon has never been an exception.

I find the surprisingly dark themes in Pokémon as fascinating as ever, such details make the world more interesting to explore. They have yet to reach the point where the games become so dark you find it hard to become invested anymore, as long as they don't, they can continue adding morbid details.

That being said, I want to know who hurt the people who wrote the Sun and Moon Pokédex entries.

Reactions: Kakea

That being said, I want to know who hurt the people who wrote the Sun and Moon Pokédex entries.

Nintendo needs a hug...

The only game series safe from this is mario, and yoshi.
Pokemon has varieing stuff depending on gen
Zelda has Majoras mask and tp
kirby has marx?
and freaking pikmin has the umibozu.
I'm not fond of the Mega Evolution change, not because it's "dark", but because it retcons what X and Y established. Sun and Moon is just one generation later, did GameFreak change their mind completely on what Mega Evolution was supposed to be? That, or they made Mega Evolution darker to make Z-moves seem more appealing.

Pokémon is no stranger for darker themes, it's just more apparent now. The Pokédex entries have always had some less pleasant details about certain species, there are just a lot more of them in recent gens (assuming the Sun and Moon entries don't suffer from an unreliable narrator). Playing the games as a kid, I remember being morbidly fascinated by Lavender Town, the Old Chateau, the Abandoned Ship and the Pokémon Mansion. None of them were quite what you expected to find in a child-friendly Nintendo game, I remember discussing and speculating about them a lot. Nintendo likes sneaking uncharacteristically dark themes into a lot of their franchises, Pokémon has never been an exception.

I find the surprisingly dark themes in Pokémon as fascinating as ever, such details make the world more interesting to explore. They have yet to reach the point where the games become so dark you find it hard to become invested anymore, as long as they don't, they can continue adding morbid details.

Reactions: Kakea
Well, looks like I will never Mega Evolve my Pokemon ever again.

I always wished that Pokemon would become more realistic, but that doesn't mean it has to be dark in the Pokdex entries. I mean honestly those entries are something else. I mean to be realistic you have to be dark but not that significantly dark.

Reactions: Kakea and SmashChamp
Back