Is the 3ds... dead?

• Thread starter Arshan
  • Start date
Arshan

Arshan

The Gucci Mining Diamonds Gang
Towns Folk
The Nintendo Switch has been the hottest topic in gaming for the entirety of 2017. On the opposite end of the spectrum is the Nintendo 3ds, which has lost relevance over the past few years. This little handheld device was originally launched in 2011 and is still here in 2017 (very close to 2018). And while it isn't officially gone, it is safe to say it's lifespan is in it's ending moments. So the question is, is the 3ds dead?

No more major game releases:

So at this point in time the 3ds has basically nothing coming in terms of major game releases. Aside from spin off games from Nintendo and a few indies, nothing is coming to the 3ds. This clearly shows Nintendo has kinda forgotten about this console as they aren't supporting it as much. Major game releases keep consoles alive, and aside from a few in 2017 there haven't been any of them recently.
Nintendo games going on sale:
I'm sure you all know that nintendo doesn't really do sales on their games until many years after when the console the game is on is dead, or the game is irrelevant. Well many games have been going on sale recently on the nintendo 3ds systems (and wii u). This shows Nintendo doesn't care too much about the games on the 3ds systems. It also shows nintendo kinda saying themselves the system is dead and there won't be much more coming. Also hardware is going on sale a lot too.
Outclassed:
At this point in time, there isn't really much going for the 3ds. The Nintendo Switch just outclasses it in like, every way. 3ds games just can't compare to switch games, from their graphics to sizes. The switch is also much more modern, with a much faster GUI, load times and more. The switch is also getting so many games, you can't even compare the two. Although the 3ds is cheaper, that's about all it has going for it.

COUNTERPOINTS:

Still selling well:

To surprise, the 3ds is still selling well. Is it switch numbers? No. But it is still impressive considering this console released nearly 7 years ago. In the last quarter the 3ds managed to sell ~1 million units. The 3ds could still be selling profitable numbers for many more months.

Games still being announced:
So this one is kinda a counterpoint as there is a chance for more games to be announced later down the road, or there may not be. It's likely at least one more nintendo game will be announced for the 3ds in 2018. However there is still a chance there may not be another game announced, and if there are any more games coming from nintendo, it won't be many.

Conclusion:
So overall there are points for both why the 3ds is dead and not dead. This handheld has come a long way from where is began and now we are questioning if this is it's end. So what do you think? I'd love to hear about whether you think the 3ds is dead or not. Personally I think it's dead. I don't see much point in it existing at this point in time. But there are also arguments to make about it not being dead.

Edit: Just to clarify it doesn't have to be dead right now just in its ending phases. It won't die right now as it just had a major game release but after USUM is it going to be dead? We have no major game releases announced right now. So it may seem like the 3ds is in it's ending phases.

Last edited:
No more major game releases:

So at this point in time the 3ds has basically nothing coming in terms of major game releases. Aside from spin off games from Nintendo and a few indies, nothing is coming to the 3ds. This clearly shows Nintendo has kinda forgotten about this console as they aren't supporting it as much. Major game releases keep consoles alive, and aside from a few in 2017 there haven't been any of them recently.
Nintendo games going on sale:
I'm sure you all know that nintendo doesn't really do sales on their games until many years after when the console the game is on is dead, or the game is irrelevant. Well many games have been going on sale recently on the nintendo 3ds systems (and wii u). This shows Nintendo doesn't care too much about the games on the 3ds systems. It also shows nintendo kinda saying themselves the system is dead and there won't be much more coming. Also hardware is going on sale a lot too.
Outclassed:
At this point in time, there isn't really much going for the 3ds. The Nintendo Switch just outclasses it in like, every way. 3ds games just can't compare to switch games, from their graphics to sizes. The switch is also much more modern, with a much faster GUI, load times and more. The switch is also getting so many games, you can't even compare the two. Although the 3ds is cheaper, that's about all it has going for it.

COUNTERPOINTS:
Still selling well:
To surprise, the 3ds is still selling well. Is it switch numbers? No. But it is still impressive considering this console released nearly 7 years ago. In the last quarter the 3ds managed to sell ~1 million units. The 3ds could still be selling profitable numbers for many more months.

Games still being announced:
So this one is kinda a counterpoint as there is a chance for more games to be announced later down the road, or there may not be. It's likely at least one more nintendo game will be announced for the 3ds in 2018. However there is still a chance there may not be another game announced, and if there are any more games coming from nintendo, it won't be many.

I would wait on "No more major games." Before the Game Awards, we didn't now many games coming to the switch and that's certainly not dead. There's a Nintendo Direct in January (I think?) so if no games are announced then, that point will be a little more believable. Also the "games going on sale" is kind of a end of the year/holiday/black friday thing I think. Again, if major sales continue into 2018, this point will hold more ground. In terms of the "3ds being outclassed" I disagree that this even matters. The more powerful consoles don't always win. Xbox One X is getting beat up by the less powerful Ps4. The Wii sold over 100 million with specs that the ps2 could probably match.

Reactions: 28142
I do not think it is a dead system just yet. With Ultra sun and moon out, It will last a bit longer before it is considered dead. Of course some side games will still be released, for example, Kirby battle royal. But, the systems final moments are near, so, the system could technically be considered dead.

Reactions: Duffy
There's still ads for the 3DS, that could mean the 3DS isn't dead yet

Reactions: Duffy and Bagel
Maybe the 3DS is dead to the world, but not to me. The 3DS was one of my favorite systems to date. Does it beat the Switch? For now, yes. Until they actually release a few more games I'll actually buy and play, the 3DS is still my favorite system. And no one's mentioned yet that Nintendo just released the New 2DS XL and a new SNES model of the New 3DS XL. So, in my opinion, the 3DS is not dead yet. And even if it is, it's not dead to me.

Reactions: dani20
The 3DS is still my most used console; I have a lot of great games I didn't play yet on it, so it will have a long life with me :) . I think it is more portable than the Switch and easier to carry in one's pocket. With the Switch I play mostly on TV, but I have the 3DS with me often. I think the 3DS will live on for at least a couple of years and we'll have games released for it.

Pfft, the Gameboy isn't even dead. (Seriously, I can't go to a lecture without some dude playing his Gameboy.) I think the 3DS is going to age quite gracefully. I for one, still have dozens of games I still need to finish/want to play.

From a manufacturing standpoint? The 3ds will be dead by the end of 2018. Nintendo doesn't need to compete with itself on the mobile gaming device market, and all keeping the 3ds alive will do is just that. Why try to slow sales of your amazing new Switch by keeping a cheaper device alive?
Because of the massive success of the Switch, I can't see them announcing any more major games. Plus, we already have the Nintendo handheld's flagship franchise, Pokémon, making the jump to the Switch. While we know few details of that game, from the way it was announced it's reasonable to assume it's going to be the next main series installment. That announcement, for me, foreshadowed the inevitable death of the 3ds.

I don´t believe the 3ds is dead. Let´s not forget that this very year, the 3ds got a really good exclusive title that blew everyone away, and I am talking about Metroid, samus Returs. I think that is a fair proof that nintendo is still supporting the nintendo 3ds and I don´t think they are going to they are slowing down till 2019.

The biggest thing that will make the 3ds dead sooner than later is the fact that the switch is compatible with so many more game making programs (game maker, unity, etc) so if a 3ds game could run on the switch, why not port it to the switch? Its the new thing that people are getting excited about.

Reactions: Arshan
The biggest thing that will make the 3ds dead sooner than later is the fact that the switch is compatible with so many more game making programs (game maker, unity, etc) so if a 3ds game could run on the switch, why not port it to the switch? Its the new thing that people are getting excited about.

Because the switch can't play anything in 3D.

Because the switch can't play anything in 3D.
Nobody i know actually cares about 3d. The only game i know of that 3d is necessary to play is super mario 3d land. Some more recent games don’t even have the option to do 3d. It sucks but is true.

Nobody i know actually cares about 3d. The only game i know of that 3d is necessary to play is super mario 3d land. Some more recent games don’t even have the option to do 3d. It sucks but is true.

Common argument. I care about 3D.
I'm not nobody, lol

It doesn't need to be "necessary" to add to the game. I think it looks beautiful.

Common argument. I care about 3D.
I'm not nobody, lol

It doesn't need to be "necessary" to add to the game. I think it looks beautiful.
What matters though is that it isn’t necessary, and most people would enjoy it just as much without it. They would even have the option to improve the graphics a little if they wanted to put the effort in to port it to the switch.

I feel like the 3DS had reached its peak so I don't think anything mayor will happen next year. I dontd consider it dead right now but I think after this Christmas The Switch will probably be the only one in the spotlight.

What matters though is that it isn’t necessary, and most people would enjoy it just as much without it. They would even have the option to improve the graphics a little if they wanted to put the effort in to port it to the switch.

2DS

The switch is the new console. The 2ds does exist, but it only plays 3ds games. The switch has the ability to have better looking games on it. The 2ds is also proof that many people have stopped caring about 3d. Nintendo probably decided that the 2ds was a good idea based on club Nintendo surveys that showed that most people hardly use the 3d functionality. Many people wouldn’t by 3ds games because they are expecting creators to give them more games to play on the switch.

The switch is the new console. The 2ds does exist, but it only plays 3ds games. The switch has the ability to have better looking games on it. The 2ds is also proof that many people have stopped caring about 3d. Nintendo probably decided that the 2ds was a good idea based on club Nintendo surveys that showed that most people hardly use the 3d functionality. Many people wouldn’t by 3ds games because they are expecting creators to give them more games to play on the switch.
Nintendo decided the 2ds was a good idea because 3d is expensive and 2ds with a bundled game for 70$ went a long way in helping the sales (over 8 million last year...).

Nintendo decided the 2ds was a good idea because 3d is expensive and 2ds with a bundled game for 70$ went a long way in helping the sales (over 8 million last year...).
True, its a really good deal. But if the 3d actually mattered than it wouldn’t be a good deal. The problem for the 3ds right now is not that its the less powerful console.
In terms of the "3ds being outclassed" I disagree that this even matters. The more powerful consoles don't always win. Xbox One X is getting beat up by the less powerful Ps4. The Wii sold over 100 million with specs that the ps2 could probably match.
The problem is however, that it is the less powerful console that Nintendo made. If both are portable, and one is more powerful, isn’t Nintendo going to push to make games for thier better system? Isn’t nintendo gonna encourage 3rd party and indie devs to make games for thier newer system?

True, its a really good deal. But if the 3d actually mattered than it wouldn’t be a good deal. The problem for the 3ds right now is not that its the less powerful console.

The problem is however, that it is the less powerful console that Nintendo made. If both are portable, and one is more powerful, isn’t Nintendo going to push to make games for thier better system? Isn’t nintendo gonna encourage 3rd party and indie devs to make games for thier newer system?

Both are portable but one is a dedicated portable device, and one is just sort of portable. And Nintendo won’t encourage devs to do anything, except make Nintendo games. They don’t take the pateralistic approach to third parties, if they wanna make a 3ds game Nintendo won’t suggest otherwise.

At this point in time, the 3ds isn’t competing against the switch. The 3ds is the cheapest console out there and the best for portability. That’s the main selling point (and slightly the dual screens). If a consumer can afford the more expensive hardware and software, they will buy the switch (or ps4 or xbox one), because those are the dedicated home consoles. They are just in different markets. The 3ds’ market is drying up slightly (at least in my opinion it is, even though the hard facts and sales if the system say otherwise), but it continues to print money for Nintendo so it won’t “die” or be retired, etc. until it doesn’t produce money anymore.

Even if they announce a “4ds” or successor to the 3ds, they won’t stop the 3ds until it stops making money, like they did eith the gba into the ds era, like sony did with the ps2 into the ps3 era, and like they are doing now with the ps3 into the ps4 era, etc.

Back