How to turn off the Switch without pressing the Power Off button?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
The Nintendo Switch has a power button at the top. I like that you have to hold it down so you don't accidentally turn off your console while gaming, but sometimes I feel like it'll get worn out so I'm looking for a way to turn it off completely by alternative means without draining the battery >.> Is this possible?

On the home screen there is a sleep mode. Maybe there's a power off button somewhere hidden? :panda:

It really seems like Nintendo doesn't want you to ever actually power it off. The only way to 100$ power it off is that little power button, as far as i know. Also, if it is powered completely off and you put it in the dock to charge, or plug in a charging cable, it will immediately turn itself on.

If it's any consolation, the sleep mode on the Switch lasts so much longer than a 3DS in sleep mode. For me a 3DS in sleep mode lasts about two and a half days, tops. The Switch on the other hand when close to fully charged I've left it alone in sleep mode for about a week and the charge was about 30% left. I agree with you @TribstyAnn that Nintendo probably doesn't want you to fully turn off the Switch system, ever. I also agree @Marc that the power button does indeed feel flimsy as do the volume buttons. They kind of feel as though they were added last minute or as an after thought.

Reactions: 28142 and Marc
I imagine it's a conveniance issue as well.
With the Wii and Wii U, there was a button on the controller to turn it off from your sofa, but with the switch you have to get up, walk over and hold for three seconds.

Maybe a future update...

I imagine it's a conveniance issue as well.
With the Wii and Wii U, there was a button on the controller to turn it off from your sofa, but with the switch you have to get up, walk over and hold for three seconds.

Maybe a future update...
This bothered me too. If you're holding the Switch, disconnected from your TV, it's fine because you can just press the power button, but if you're connected to the TV and using the Joy-Cons, then there is no way to turn it off besides getting up off the couch to turn it off. I don't know, maybe I'm just super lazy, but the Wii U having a power button on the remotes made everything so much easier.

Reactions: Farhaan Raja
The power button won’t wear too bad but a way to turn it off without getting up would be nice. Just put that as an option in the quick menu and I’ll be happy

Back