Support Needed System Transfer without Touch Screen?

• Thread starter YoshiPlays
  • Start date
YoshiPlays

YoshiPlays

amen (master)
Towns Folk
I broke my 3ds touch screen recently, and I want to transfer the data to a new 3ds. Unfortunately, the only way I know how to do it is to go in system settings then System Transfer, which requires the touch screen. I would like some help please.

I broke my 3ds touch screen recently, and I want to transfer the data to a new 3ds. Unfortunately, the only way I know how to do it is to go in system settings then System Transfer, which requires the touch screen. I would like some help please.

I just checked Nintendo's site for system transfers... They all require the touch screen, whether it's confirming the transfer or entering you NNID password. I would set up a repair by calling Nintendo or using their website to do so.

Set up a repair with Nintendo online OR call them at 1-800-255-3700. This number and link is for North America (US) only, otherwise look for a similar page and phone number on your country's corresponding Nintendo website.

How did you break the touch screen? Is the screen cracked or just not work? Also, how long have you had your 3DS? (It may be covered by the warranty if you've had it less than a year.) Depending on how the touch screen broke may dictate what Nintendo can do (i.e. liquid damage, dropped, stepped/sat on and etc.). Most likely the Nintendo representative will ask you to send it in for repair or replacement.

One last thing to note, Nintendo is no longer servicing or repairing the original 3DS model. If this is what you have you will need to discuss replacement instead of repair.

Hope this helped! :)

I heard somewhere it's possible to simply put the old SD card into the new sysytem. IDK if it works though.

I heard somewhere it's possible to simply put the old SD card into the new sysytem. IDK if it works though.
No, it doesn't. The touch screen is essential for normal system transfers. Only Nintendo can help at this point.

Can't the files be copied via computer to another SD Card? My new 3ds manual says it can be done.

Can't the files be copied via computer to another SD Card? My new 3ds manual says it can be done.
That's because the New Nintendo 3Ds can connect to your computer though your network. So, technically maybe, if you're using the same system, you still need the touch screen to initiate the system transfer form the broken 3DS to the not broken one. If you have an older system you're out of luck. Also, the touch screen is essential if you're transferring data between an Old 3DS to a New 3Ds.

That's because the New Nintendo 3Ds can connect to your computer though your network. So, technically maybe, if you're using the same system, you still need the touch screen to initiate the system transfer form the broken 3DS to the not broken one. If you have an older system you're out of luck. Also, the touch screen is essential if you're transferring data between an Old 3DS to a New 3Ds.
No, I meant plug the SD cards into the computer and manually copy the files That way.

Okay... the link says "this page cannot be found".

There is a data transfer, not a system transfer which you can use a computer and swap data between SD cards. (ex: you're upgrading from a 16 GB SD card to a 32 GB SD card and transferring the data).

I think I found what you're talking about. Yes this is a data transfer NOT a system transfer. Check out the links below and let me know if this is what you meant, or not.

How to transfer Data Between SD Cards or Micro SD Cards

Data transfer using a PC and an SD Card with the New 3DS

Last edited:
Google the manual. It's the first result.
But, yea it's what is meant.

The touch screen IS needed to go to the System Settings (Wrench icon on the menu) and Tap, Other Settings, and keep Tapping to the right and select system transfer after which your New 3DS (XL) will check the online to see if you indeed can even do a system transfer IF you have a linked NNID. After which you can proceed to do the wireless transfer if needed.

I read the PDF file of the system transfer for 3DS to New 3DS XL and on page 50 [url=https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/downloads/manual-nintendo-new3dsxl-operations-english.pdf]Manual for New 3DS[/URL] see the last little illustration. If I'm wrong I'm sorry. It's just that this subject is really bugging me and I need to know! No offense to you and I do not intend to be argumentative. It's that I thought I knew how to do this and I could have sworn I have done this before and the touch screen in needed regardless. This link > [url=http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14116/p/430?a_id=14169&p=430&session=IQQ6acDn]Click Me[/URL] is the step by step process (I think) that is being described in the manual. The manual seems incomplete or inconclusive and difficult to follow, almost making the Nintendo site mandatory.

Best thing I can find is having someone at Nintendo unlink your NNID and manually redownloading all the games.

I kinda think I figured it out. The wireless transfer between systems is for things like NNID and games. Data transfer is for things like save games.
Buttt
1. Have the Nintendo guy unlink NNID from old system
2. Redownload games after signing in with new 3ds.
3. Transfer save games via PC.

Back