Do you think children under 8 years old should own cellphones?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I've been seeing more children under 8 years old with smartphones. Even my niece got a smartphone for her birthday and I think it has a SIM card now (not 100% certain about that). She used to pretend to make phone calls all the time with a toy phone so they decided to surprise her on her birthday by giving her an actual one.

^ I don't think her parents let her carry it to school though.

Do you think children under 8 years old should own a cellphone? What's the reasoning for your answer?

I don't think it's a good idea below that age. While I'm no expert at parenting, I don't think children younger than 10 should have phones. While it can be useful for them to have phone access, I think they do more harm than good. Young children are good at being distracted by shiny technology, and some would rather play with their phones than focus in class, learn how to interact with other people or do things children that age should be doing.

It can wait until they're older and more ready to handle the responsibility and risks of owning a phone. They can wait a few years with maymays, mobile games, prank calls and the like. But that might just be me being old-fashioned.

I don't really see why they would need one at that age. I think when you start letting your children stay home alone they might want a cell phone. I mean anytime before that just seems like a waste of money... but I'm not sure, maybe I am overlooking something.

No way.

Children should spend their childhoods playing outside, drawing or reading, not glued to a screen.

Some of my cousins are <10 and they misbehave all the time. The parents give them tablets and they turn into total zombies, and barely even respond when you talk to them...

Yes. We need to stop infantilizing people. If they possess the intelligence to know their way around a phone, let them use it. Block websites and stuff you don't want them to see. Maybe limit their web activity to where you can observe. But let them have a little bit of autonomy. Maturity will come.

Children should spend their childhoods playing outside, drawing or reading, not glued to a screen.
Said the guy who loves video games so much he signed up for a gaming forum when he was still a child himself.

Reactions: Duffy
Yes. We need to stop infantilizing people. If they possess the intelligence to know their way around a phone, let them use it. Block websites and stuff you don't want them to see. Maybe limit their web activity to where you can observe. But let them have a little bit of autonomy. Maturity will come.

Said the guy who loves video games so much he signed up for a gaming forum when he was still a child himself.

I'm fifteen going on to sixteen.

All I'm saying is don't let them use their phones so much to the point they become literal zombies.

Reactions: CheeseFlavouredCake
Doesn't necessarily count as achild if you're in the UK

I know a child when I see one.

What's with the kids you know? Almost all the kids I know are not zombies despite having access to all sorts of devices. They are still imaginative, active and playful, and the ones who aren't are the weirdos. (Of course it could just be that they have a really good influence and role model and caregiver like me that motivates them more).
It's kind of insulting to children who are only a few years younger than you to declare them zombies because you saw them with an iPad once and say that 'childhood fun' should be all but forced on them.

As for their rudeness, if their parents won't teach them better, they will be rude regardless of gadgets.

It's just really grating to see a veritable hatchling like you think children are more zombie-like than you were just because you are half a decade older.

I know a child when I see one.

The ad hominem is strong with this one...

Almost all the kids I know are not zombies despite having access to all sorts of devices.

So basically, because the kids YOU know are fine, it means that the problem doesn't exist.

(Of course it could just be that they have a really good influence and role model and caregiver like me that motivates them more).
It's kind of insulting to children who are only a few years younger than you to declare them zombies because you saw them with an iPad once and say that 'childhood fun' should be all but forced on them.

I really can't tell if you're trolling at this point.
The things I said are based on personal experiences. If I go to my relative's house and 19 times out of twenty they are literally glued to a tablet watching random YouTube videos of people dressed up as spiderman and elsa, then there's clearly a problem.
There really is no need to be patronising, but i suppose you are just one of those people who simpy believe that they are right just because they're older.

It's just really grating to see an adult like you think that I'm wrong just because I'm around four years younger than you.

Also, you're assuming that the people I'm talking about are ten, even though the original post stated whether children under EIGHT should have access to gadgets. And the people I'm talking about are five.

Maybe saying 'No way' in my original post was a mistake. Of course they should, but never let it get to the point where they become obsessed.

Reactions: Arshan and CheeseFlavouredCake
The ad hominem is strong with this one...

So basically, because the kids YOU know are fine, it means that the problem doesn't exist.

I really can't tell if you're trolling at this point.
The things I said are based on personal experiences. If I go to my relative's house and 19 times out of twenty they are literally glued to a tablet watching random YouTube videos of people dressed up as spiderman and elsa, then there's clearly a problem.
There really is no need to be patronising, but i suppose you are just one of those people who simpy believe that they are right just because they're older.

It's just really grating to see an adult like you think that I'm wrong just because I'm around four years younger than you.

Also, you're assuming that the people I'm talking about are ten, even though the original post stated whether children under EIGHT should have access to gadgets. And the people I'm talking about are five.

Maybe saying 'No way' in my original post was a mistake. Of course they should, but never let it get to the point where they become obsessed.
You're an incredibly rude, defensive smartbutt and I hope that in time you learn to be less abrasive when you're behind a keyboard. My original post in this thread did say that a child can be intelligent and mature, so you didn't need to get defensive so quickly. I would never belittle someone based on something they can't control. I did point out the hypocrisy in light of your anecdotal evidence (the times you go to their houses might just not be the times they're outside) and all you have to show for your age is mocking the format I wrote my post in, trying to turn it around on me, and trying to bring maths into the equation to disqualify a conversational use of 'half a decade.' Want some maths? You were fourteen when you signed up which is when I said you were a child too, which means an eight-and-a half year old WAS half a decade younger than you even mathematically. Shame on you for not being respectful - disregarding that I am older, more mature, more qualified, more popular, less abrasive and on the staff - simply because you didn't agree with me. I hope you learn to carry out an argument without resorting to YouTube-comment-esque smug snideness.

It hurts my soul to see that as each generation of children goes by, technology consumes us even more. I'd like to think that parents would restrict their usage of devices, including smartphones, but I guess it's easier put a screen in front of a kid's face than it is to actually parent them. I think parents are more paranoid now, too. They think they're kid needs a phone so they can contact them in an emergency. I get that, but they're mostly paranoid because they too are exposed to so much more media than in the past. We see all these kidnappings and school shootings all the time, but it wasn't like they weren't there before, it is just that technology has allowed us to share that information around the globe in the blink of an eye.

Please don't get me wrong. I definitely think we should give kids phones. We definitely should, because there's no point in shielding them from technology they'll most definitely have as an adult. It's important to teach them how to use it properly though, and set limits on mobile games and all that. I also think that instead of "taking away" screen time for bad behavior, we should be rewarding children. If they do what they're supposed to and are well behaved, they get to play on their phone for an hour or whatever.

We also have to note that some of these kids, even though they are young, tend to be smarter at us at technology. My younger sibling knows everything about the iPad and I barely can use my phone as it is. Even with parental control restrictions, if you're not closely monitoring their screen time and behavior then they may be able to "hack" their way around it. No parental control app is perfect, so it's important to watch them carefully.

Alright, that was kind of a tangent. My point is that yes, kids under eight years should have phones, but it's up to the parents to monitor the children and teach them how to use technology in moderation. I've seen so many parents hand their kids their phone in the store just to keep them quiet and that's not the way to go. Rewarding negative behavior only will set up the child for a harsh reality when they grow up.

Reactions: Farhaan Raja
No way.

Some of my cousins are <10 and they misbehave all the time. The parents give them tablets and they turn into total zombies, and barely even respond when you talk to them...

This is a flawed arguement. Too many people base their opinions of what is best for everyone off their own expirences. Well one time I saw a priest abuse a child. Does that mean all priests should go to jail? No. That’s an isolated non-sciantific method obseration.

You're an incredibly rude, defensive smartbutt

LAWL LMAO smartbutt!!1! (Satire)

Ok now being serious: everything can be good in moderation. Drinking one beer doesn’t make you an alcoholic, owning a phone doesn’t make you a zombie, and growing up without a phone doesn’t make you less dumb. Obviously it’s abuse of a thing that makes it a bad thing. I guess my point here is if you do one thing so much it ends up hurting you, then maybe it’s time to reconsidder, but that’s only your call to make.

Reactions: Farhaan Raja and pokerus
No, the sole purpose of a smartphone is to have a data plan to contact people. Given that you should never let a person under the age of 8 go by themselves anyways I'd probably not give a child a phone.
This is a flawed arguement. Too many people base their opinions of what is best for everyone off their own expirences. Well one time I saw a priest abuse a child. Does that mean all priests should go to jail? No. That’s an isolated non-sciantific method obseration.

LAWL LMAO smartbutt!!1! (Satire)

Ok now being serious: everything can be good in moderation. Drinking one beer doesn’t make you an alcoholic, owning a phone doesn’t make you a zombie, and growing up without a phone doesn’t make you less dumb. Obviously it’s abuse of a thing that makes it a bad thing. I guess my point here is if you do one thing so much it ends up hurting you, then maybe it’s time to reconsidder, but that’s only your call to make.
Phones tend to be expensive, easier to lose, and defeats the purpose of a phone if a child is only going to watch videos or play video games. As long as the product your buying isn't high end I see nothing wrong with buying a child a device (as long as you don't spoil them). Personally one of those Rca tablets would be much better, as they are cheaper and fufill the purpose for the child easily which is why kids shouldn't own cellphones.

My girlfriend had this discussion a couple times and we ended up agreeing with each other on it. So here is our take on it.

We won't give our kids a cellphone until they are at least 13. And even than it will be programmed to only call 911 or us (mom and dad)., and maybe the school as well. But than again, technology moves so fast, smart phones may be no longer and we have some sort of micro implant that uses our thoughts on commands to intercommunicate with people lol :p

• Funny
Reactions: phofufury and Farhaan Raja
My girlfriend had this discussion a couple times and we ended up agreeing with each other on it. So here is our take on it.

We won't give our kids a cellphone until they are at least 13. And even than it will be programmed to only call 911 or us (mom and dad)., and maybe the school as well. But than again, technology moves so fast, smart phones may be no longer and we have some sort of micro implant that uses our thoughts on commands to intercommunicate with people lol :p

Get them a Nokia Brick if you want them to have basic functions.

Reactions: eonia
I think that kids should wait until they’re about 10-12 to get their first one because they’re meant to be for calling and the only reason you would need one for a kid is if an emergency is happening plus if the kid started using it at school they would get it taken from them and the kid would have to wait til the end of the day to get it back

I think that kids should wait until they’re about 10-12 to get their first one because they’re meant to be for calling and the only reason you would need one for a kid is if an emergency is happening plus if the kid started using it at school they would get it taken from them and the kid would have to wait til the end of the day to get it back

But how often are the kids in an emergency. Most people use their phones as a media device.

But how often are the kids in an emergency. Most people use their phones as a media device.
Just to play devil's advocate, but when you think about it kids seem to be getting into emergencies more and more (not necessarily on purpose). Look at what just happened in Florida. Considering there have been more then 1 mass shooting every 2 days in the United States alone this year (Sources- https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...-shootings-in-america/?utm_term=.fe16d7b6143b
https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data)
(almost one per day, many of which have taken place in schools), it may not be such a far off conclusion to reach that emergencies are very relevant to children's lives. Even if children use them for media, that may be crucial to figuring out exactly what happened in some tragedies. Drawing on the recent events in Florida, many videos have come out from students inside the school that police can use to track the timeline of events.

Just food for thought.

Reactions: Farhaan Raja
Just to play devil's advocate, but when you think about it kids seem to be getting into emergencies more and more (not necessarily on purpose). Look at what just happened in Florida. Considering there have been more then 1 mass shooting every 2 days in the United States alone this year (Sources- https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...-shootings-in-america/?utm_term=.fe16d7b6143b
https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data)
(almost one per day, many of which have taken place in schools), it may not be such a far off conclusion to reach that emergencies are very relevant to children's lives. Even if children use them for media, that may be crucial to figuring out exactly what happened in some tragedies. Drawing on the recent events in Florida, many videos have come out from students inside the school that police can use to track the timeline of events.

Just food for thought.

*In the United States*

Back