Do you think old Nintendo consoles deserve to be "brought back"?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I'm asking because I came across an article mentioning an improved version of the Game Boy. We've already seen Nintendo release better versions of their NES and SNES Mini consoles, so I'm wondering if you think the old Nintendo consoles deserve this treatment or do you think the company should keep their focus on new consoles?

Reactions: Mizunil
No. Nintendo messes up modern consoles enough as it is.

No. Nintendo messes up modern consoles enough as it is.
I don't agree because I think the Switch went pretty well, but I do agree they shouldn't update old consoles. I don't think they should do it to the Gameboy. That would just be weird. They should just bring Gameboy to Virtual console on the Switch

Yea I think they should just port all the games they can to Virtual Console and make a semi decent search system to find them all. But they probably make more money going the mini console route.

Reactions: Marc
I think it is really just for the older market. People who grew up in that era that owned a NES or SNES, making it a good thing. As if you were to get those games again for the NES some games can cough up to $200+. Which insane unless your a hard core collector. So I think Nintendo is doing something good, as a tribute to the originals.

No. SNES and NES deserved remasters because the games were old and rather good.
N64, GCN, DS and all the others should get ported onto the switch virtual console.

No. SNES and NES deserved remasters because the games were old and rather good.
N64, GCN, DS and all the others should get ported onto the switch virtual console.
I wouldn’t say just because a game is old you should remake or remaster it. TMNT IV (snes) got a remaster that was hot garbage, and the original is much better). Plus tons of newer games get remasters anyways. Look at OoT, Majora’s Mask, even Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Besides, how would you even go about remaking a game like the original Legend of Zelda?

Reactions: Farhaan Raja
Besides, how would you even go about remaking a game like the original Legend of Zelda?

Give it the Metroid: Zero Mission treatment and remake it with the Link Between Worlds engine. Put it on the switch or 3ds.

Oh, and when I said that old games deserved remakes, i kinda only meant the good ones. Overall, I was glad to see which games they put on the SNES classic.

Yes and no.

No, because I think Nintendo should focus on the Switch more and get going with the paid subscription service rather than putz around with retro system remakes. Many of these games could be put on the Virtual Consoles of the Switch and or 3DS.

Yes, because Nintendo can market nostalgia like nobody else and have older people relive the past and the new generation experience the good old days of video gaming. If this allows for Nintendo to make money and improve their digital infrastructure (ex: servers for online gaming which still sucks).

Also, I think Nintendo was smart not to put all their eggs in one basket due to the failure of the Wii U. Nintendo still has the 3DS for better or worse and it's still selling well. As for the Switch, I have high hopes for it and look forward to many years with it.

Yeah that would be a good idea for like the n64 and maybe GameCube but @Marc quick question do you mean like more of the mini/classic consoles or do you mean like they bring them back in a new improved way also would they take cartridges or have the games in the console digitally?

if they made a ds system with working online for games that'd be pretty neato. they could have a system with built-in games, and a cartridge slot so you can play your own copies as well if you'd rather want to play those

Definitely think these games should be resurrected! .... Well at least the NES and SNES and N64. I can't imagine Nintendo getting much farther than that honestly, Gamecube is far too recent for a reboot. But if they do a N64 Classic they really gotta fix that availibilty issue... don't appreciate spending upwards of $150 for something that retails for far less :dead:

Yes, absolutely! It’s be better if they released them on Virtual Console on the Switch, but on the other hand, not everyone owns a Switch, and the mini consoles are quite charming, being so tiny. ;u;

If they ever make a GameCube mini, I’ll be the first in line, no dispute. That thing was my childhood, so to have a mini version of it would just be awesome! :D

Reactions: P2.0
I currently have the newer version of the NES nintendo brought out, and it came with around 50 oldschool games. I'm hoping if they do continue to remake these consoles that they atleast making the game controller plugs longer so I dont have to sit so close to the Tv. Or maybe they could even make switch games for these oldschool games which would be fascinating to see , considering how popular switch games are gettting.

This is a very good question. If consoles are brought back or resold there's more novelty in it and the accessories that go with it. People could actually find it easier to code for older consoles because it's easier with current tech (or harder because coding is less simplified depending on the people making them). But if it's done like the PlayStation or SNES there's less value in it unless there's hard to get exclusive games in that case you get it not to emulate it. Depending on the games in it you can either love or hate that console especially if they've been remade on other consoles like Tetris for GB might not be your favorite if you have Tetris DS. BUT if it's a Dreamcast game you are playing on your PC and you want a controller and there isn't a 3rd party one out there for you it may as well be more worth it to pay the big bucks to play it that way with is why remade consoles done right are worth it. So I say yes but only to rare consoles or ones with rare games that have hardly ever been played that can be widely acclaimed as good games.

NO.

There are functional emulators around for almost every console, even your smartphone or 3DS can play these emulators. So, buying any re-release of old consoles is stupid. Don't feed your money to these corporations, be smart. Feed it to me. :sneaky:

Uh, YES. D: There were a lot, A LOT of really great games from consoles' past, and Nintendo only touched up on a few of them via virtual console. ;-;
I sort of liked the idea with the 'Mini' series that they were doing, letting people who remembered playing those classics play them again. But if even if no one likes the idea, they could just put them back in virtual console, but make it so you can buy the games rather than having to buy a sub to access them. ;-;

That still makes me bitter, lol. :hilarious:

Yes, Nintendo has such a great collection of gaming consoles, bringing back the old consoles to a new generation would be a great idea!
The old titles already have an amazing library of retro games and to take a minute to play then would give so many memories back to the previous generation.
It could also be a cheaper alternative for those who just want to play some games on the system but don't want to buy the whole unit and games.

I feel they should bring old consoles back because the classics are really cherishable and timeless that people should be able to play them even if the games are 30 or 20 years old. Having an n64 classic would be a pretty dope addition to the Nintendo line and would be pretty dope to have in general. Especially since n64 has 2 of the greatest Zelda games of all time as well as the very first smash.

I just wish they added a better virtual console to the Switch. Being able to play gba or n64 games would be awesome, but who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back