What would you do to prevent/stop school shootings?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Unfortunately, school shootings happen :(

Who knows how some kid got their hands on a firearm, but it happens.

If you were given the opportunity to give an attempt at preventing or possibly stopping school shootings, what would you put in place to do so? Of course, you have to be realistic about the idea you have.

Idk. Possibly stepped up in school security. Metal detectors and the likes. That's the only thing realistic i can come up with. Daily Bag searches, in case a student brings a weapon.

My mother works the front desk at a school in my town, so I always have her in the back of my mind, wondering if she's okay.

If you were given the opportunity to give an attempt at preventing or possibly stopping school shootings, what would you put in place to do so? Of course, you have to be realistic about the idea you have.

When it is legal for them to buy guns, is that really a question?

Seems interesting because some people want to ban guns outright in America, which might work, but is not what I would do. In my opinion, mental health needs to be a priority in America. Mental health issues seems to be a big reason for a lot of these mass/school shootings.

Reactions: Mercedes-Benz

Seems interesting because some people want to ban guns outright in America, which might work, but is not what I would do. In my opinion, mental health needs to be a priority in America. Mental health issues seems to be a big reason for a lot of these mass/school shootings.

A-freaking-MEN to that. I, myself, relate to mental health and I believe that it should be addressed in all parts of America.

Reactions: Mizunil and Duffy
Idk. Possibly stepped up in school security. Metal detectors and the likes. That's the only thing realistic i can come up with. Daily Bag searches, in case a student brings a weapon.

My mother works the front desk at a school in my town, so I always have her in the back of my mind, wondering if she's okay.
Daily bag searches? This could work, but I feel as if it may be a little unrealistic. Every bag for every student, plus girl's purses, plus bag in and out for lunches, etc... which is a heck of a lot of bags to search. Mental detectors are in some schools already... but this won't stop a shooting, it just stops someone from being a gun into a school during the day. Instead, they shoot their way in if they these practices are in place. Focusing on mental health would stop them at their core (hypothetically), rather then just attempts to prevent guns being moved to non gun zones.

Not a question for an answer. It's questioning how they get their hands on guns.

Reactions: Duffy
Not a question for an answer. It's questioning how they get their hands on guns.
They purchase them. I'm confused why you think getting a gun is hard.

Daily bag searches? This could work, but I feel as if it may be a little unrealistic. Every bag for every student, plus girl's purses, plus bag in and out for lunches, etc... which is a heck of a lot of bags to search. Mental detectors are in some schools already... but this won't stop a shooting, it just stops someone from being a gun into a school during the day. Instead, they shoot their way in if they these practices are in place. Focusing on mental health would stop them at their core (hypothetically), rather then just attempts to prevent guns being moved to non gun zones.

Right you are. Maybe spring for an in school psycho-therapist or the likes. I never had that in my schooling days, and things just got worse.

Right you are. Maybe spring for an in school psycho-therapist or the likes. I never had that in my schooling days, and things just got worse.
Now we are getting somewhere. Schools desperately need more councilors and mental health experts. It was a big problem at my high school. I don't really wanna talk about it but our class... had some mental health issues (so I may be a little biased on that issue, but I don't think my experiences are unique to my class).

Reactions: Mercedes-Benz
Well, you got me, I have no idea.

The best thing I can do is just be well prepared for a shooting to happen. It takes a lot of work to prevent a shooting, but it's impossible to make sure it (or any bad thing in general) never happens again. Once me and my faculty and student body are prepared, then I can make some means to prevent it...somehow.

to be honest, the entire topic itself is gamble. you can choose to outlaw firearms altogether, but that doesnt guarantee some fool will find a back door and still manage to sneak in a weapon. you could even start some sort of anti-violence campaign to enlighten the masses for lack of better words in order to encourage lawmakers to take action against the issue, but again, there's a big list of ways firearms can fall into the wrong hands and a mess could still be made some point thereafter. as much as all of this sucks, its the hard truth. weapons can fall into the wrong hands no matter what public authorities do or try to do ... =/

Ban guns~ There's very little need for them in the hands of civilians. There are other, more efficient means and tools for self defense than guns, too.

But banning guns goes a long way.

Reactions: Duffy

White men commit the most amount of shootings in America, but statistically have the most access to mental health care.
Black women commit the least amount of shootings in America, but statistically have the least amount of access to mental health care.

School Shootings is a horrific thing to see. I'd like to think the best way is to just hire security as Resource officers. Security in which that can help both the school and students from harms way. Metal detectors can help somewhat but I think if school just has a guard at the entrance or monitoring everything is fine.

Some of which think arming teachers with guns is acceptable, I don't think that would be in my opinion.

School Shootings is a horrific thing to see. I'd like to think the best way is to just hire security as Resource officers. Security in which that can help both the school and students from harms way. Metal detectors can help somewhat but I think if school just has a guard at the entrance or monitoring everything is fine.

Some of which think arming teachers with guns is acceptable, I don't think that would be in my opinion.
Funny you mention School Resource Officers a few days after a in Maryland shooting was stopped by one... It's certainly not a bad idea but I think this School Resource Officer was actually the first one to ever stop a shooting according to some metrics. In fact armed guards are almost so ineffective that banks no longer use them (Source-http://fortune.com/2018/02/22/armed-guards-schools-wont-work/). It's certainly not an easy issue, because there's no clear solution with little downside.

I think a major issue in this is bullying. Bullying someone can have powerful physiological effects on them. Some school shootings were by kids that were bullied and tormented by other students. Teaching acceptance and tolerance for your fellow humans should be a mandatory class and or subject at all grade levels. Just because someone is different doesn't mean they should be bullied or a target.

On the subject of guns. Taking away guns won't solve the issue of violence in schools. It may in fact lower the targets and random casualties, but if someone really wants someone else dead there are ways around metal detectors and random bag searches. Heck a sharpened pencil can be lethal! You can't have standardized testing without pencils.

How kids get guns. Sometimes the guns are stolen from the home of the kid or gotten through illegal means. Yes, in some states you can purchase a gun fairly young (don't know the exact age as it varies from state to state) as long as you have a FOID card (firearm owner identification card). A FOID card is a state issued ID that permits you to lawfully own a gun and buy ammunition. This does not permit you to conceal and carry (which is a different program altogether and carries it's own licence and policies again different from state to state).

Schools as soft targets. Schools are mostly a soft target in my opinion, as are unguarded banks and other facilities. Many schools don't have metal detectors or other means of security. Simply having armed security guards would be a deterrent in many cases. The school I went to had/has still security cameras and a locked door policy during school hours. In this case you have to ring or buzz in your request for the main door next to the office/front desk to be unlocked all the while being observed on CCTV.

I could go on but I have stuff to do and I'm sure you're tired of reading by now.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: Mizunil
Clear bags, metal detectors, a one way in and one way out system, more serious anti-bullying efforts, and an armed police man/extremely qualified faculty member. You can't stop all the bad stuff, but this would be a viable start I think. Can't say how practical it is, but clear bags would be an easy enough start, maybe schools could provide them though some government organization?

Also parents are a huge factor in these, I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that a huge percent of the shooters have parents who don't have a real relationship with them. If parents can't pick up on some of this, then that's awful! I get they can't do everything but I find it hard to believe that they thought their child was acting normal.

Back