Third-party docks can brick your Nintendo Switch on 5.0

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Well look at that :eek:

A third-party dock for the Nintendo Switch is causing peoples' consoles to brick if they're on 5.0.

This YouTuber upgraded to the 5.0 system update and bricked his Switch when using his Nyko dock. Another unlucky fellow had to send his Switch in to a $115 repair because his warranty was up :/

Nintendo fix these hardware issues! I feel this needs to be said and done because the switch is like the only nintendo system that has anything like this. All their previous systems seemed built to last.

Well if this is for all 3rd party docks then I probably wont ever used docked mode then. If it's just for that one (Which is kinda likely maybe) then I'll wait and see if others get the same issue.

Even though I'm safe because I only used the original Switch dock, I feel odd when hearing third-party docks became incompatible and even bricking the Switch once it has updated to version 5.0.

I hope Ninty would fix these issues away, probs when the new update comes out.

Last edited:
This is one of the main reasons why I always try to stick with the official brand accessories for my electronics . Even if most of the time they are overpriced accessories. I been hearing a lot of bricked systems are caused by the Nyko dock even before this update, but yes I would avoid at least the Nyko dock at all cost at this point.

Seems like the 5.0 update also screws over users using the official chargers/docks as well. I quickly scanned the Nintendo Forums (at the official Nintendo site for NA) and it appears that the 3rd Party docks aren't the only ones bricking Switches. I noticed a few users didn't specify what they were using to charge/dock their Switch, but one user specified that they DID NOT USE a 3rd party dock or charger; they could be lying... To be safe than sorry I would stay away from docking my switch period and any and all 3rd part chargers/docks. Hand held mode isn't that bad although for grand cinematic or multi player games I can see it being inconvenient.

Link to what I'm talking about

There is a new update for the Switch 5.0.1 and this new update from what I read when I Googled "What does the update 5.0.1 do for the Nintendo Switch?" Everything seemed to point to the typical "enhanced stability" explanation Nintendo gives for most of it's updates. This update was very small and only took me about a minute or so to install and restart the system. The point I'm trying to make here is that this 5.0.1 update does not seem to fix the 3rd party chargers/dock bricking of the Switch issue. However, it might, but who would be brave or stupid enough in the event this update did in fact do nothing to alleviate the brick issue to try a 3rd party accessory. Time will tell if or when this issue is fixed by Nintendo, right now there is too little information at this time to try a 3rd party charger or dock.

Final thoughts:

Don't use 3rd party anything at this time!

Reactions: Marc
@PrimordialMew24 Nintendo made an official comment about this :
Nintendo said:
Nintendo (recommends) that Switch owners only buy officially licensed Switch products . . . Unlicensed products and accessories do not undergo Nintendo’s testing and evaluation process. They might not work at all with our game systems, and they could have compatibility problems with certain games, the Nintendo Switch system itself, and other licensed accessories and peripherals.
So I'm starting to think these accessories weren't even licensed by Nintendo...? Or did Nintendo give these accessory makers permission to make these accessories for the Nintendo Switch?

@PrimordialMew24 Nintendo made an official comment about this :

So I'm starting to think these accessories weren't even licensed by Nintendo...? Or did Nintendo give these accessory makers permission to make these accessories for the Nintendo Switch?

Correct. However there are some 3rd party chargers and accessories approved by Nintendo.

There are certain 3rd party accessories with the Nintendo seal of approval which says "Official Nintendo Seal" or "Official Nintendo Licensed Product" in a gold emblem. These companies were contracted by Nintendo to make products for Nintendo. No seal, not approved by Nintendo. (i.e. the Nyko charger/dock has no such seal) Some accessories include anything from game cases and car chargers (PowerA car charger is one such 3rd party charger licensed by Nintendo).

Under System and Accessories Precautions and Maintenance in the digital manual on the Switch, found here: System Settings> Support/Health & Safety> Safety Precautions> System and Accessories Precautions and Maintenance> Second from the bottom before AC Adapter Precautions, says:
"To minimize the risk of damage to the Nintendo Switch system, only connect Nintendo-licensed accessories to any external connectors."

Hope this clears thing up. :)

Just proves that going 'cheap' does have it's consequences. All Switches come with a dock, so why not stick with it? I understand that some gamers might've picked one up without a dock at all. That would be pretty rare, but surely the official one is affordable? You spent a substantial amount of cash for a Switch, So wouldn't you want to take care of it properly and ensure that any risks are minimal?

PS. Rip that guy's Switch xd

I hate when things like this happen, because Nintendo has sometimes bricked systems with thier updates for those using homebrew, and there is a possibility this is nintendo fighting back against another form of competition, this time for thier dock. Its shady and there is no way to know if this is intentional from Nintendo or a flaw in the 3rd party product.

Back