SwSh Pokemon Switch Idea

• Thread starter Mr. Kream
  • Start date
Mr. Kream

Mr. Kream

Will Mod Your Soul
Forum Moderator
How would you feel about DLC regions in the next console version of Pokemon?

I'd much rather there wouldn't be any DLCs for Pokemon.

With Pokemon specifically, what could be locked behind a DLC? New story? But what could that give? New Area? But again, same question. If it gives new DLC specific pokemon, then surely those could just get traded and end up being common. Items, same thing could happen. It would just become a question of "Where to stop" in terms of what to lock behind a second paywall imo.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I agree with Sky. There's really no sense to Pokemon using DLC when it gets by just using Mystery Gift Pokemon. The only way I could personally see DLC justified is if it pertained to adding inaccessible areas where Mythical Legendaries reside, but even then that's unnecessarily complicating the process by requiring players to own the DLC before they can partake in it.

I wouldn't mind seeing DLC expansions with more, different stories and regions, actually. Like, if the base game was set in Kanto and over time got a story set in Johto, then one in Hoenn and so? Or it could be done like, some regions for the base game, then others for the actual sequel. I think that'd be interesting and give them more longevity as long as the DLC regions are worth it.

@Blue Knight But if they did that, then they couldn't capitalize on remakes. :eek:

No, if they made dlc regions they would just releasr it as a new game probably. Makes more money that way. Plus they can have an expanded story rather then make it half baked and a different protagonist.

@Blue Knight But if they did that, then they couldn't capitalize on remakes. :eek:
It amazes me that you aren't sick of Nintendo remakes yet. Either way, that's not a hindrance, they can always remake sinnoh and not post it as dlc... Remember, it's not as if the entire universe has to be in one game, just the parts they want to post.

For instance, the orange islands were never part of the original series of games, and may or may npt be in the manga. Dlc could be a good excuse to bring it into the game, and it doesn't even have to relate to the plot, it can just be another area to play and explore. Same with other one-shot wonders like the sevii islands and the battle frontier. Things like hoenn and kalos, even orre, could possibly be ported and made to match current technology.

To be fair, a few of you are saying there's no reason to add (more) dlc to Pokemon, but Pokemon is probably the first game in history to use dlc.

I feel it would be quite interesting if dlc for this was instated like dlc was for rbygsc, where you had to be in a specific place at a certain time to get it, and all you had to spend was your time.

Reactions: Blue Knight
It amazes me that you aren't sick of Nintendo remakes yet. Either way, that's not a hindrance, they can always remake sinnoh and not post it as dlc... Remember, it's not as if the entire universe has to be in one game, just the parts they want to post.

What's there to be sick about? If anything, I'd rather be sick from a lack of remakes than there being remakes. There's honestly nothing wrong with an old game getting a fresh coat of paint. And yes, you could make the argument that they're making money off of that which they've already done. That pretty much applies to sequels too. Plus, you can make the counter-argument that a newer, younger audience gains access to games that they'd otherwise have to spend a fortune on.

Anyway, your point with Sinnoh is what I was already suggesting in my post anyway. It's just that many people seem to be under the impression that Game Freak will suddenly decide that making a Pokemon game with all regions makes complete business sense. It's an unrealistic, idealized game for the franchise.

For instance, the orange islands were never part of the original series of games, and may or may npt be in the manga. Dlc could be a good excuse to bring it into the game, and it doesn't even have to relate to the plot, it can just be another area to play and explore. Same with other one-shot wonders like the sevii islands and the battle frontier. Things like hoenn and kalos, even orre, could possibly be ported and made to match current technology.

You make a valid point with anime filler, but that's assuming they even wish to follow up on that and not just make an entirely different game based around it. The only time the games attempted to exclusively follow the anime's plot was Yellow, which was some time ago. This isn't to say they couldn't make anime/manga exclusive DLC content for Pokemon, but for it to be worthwhile it would have to offer Pokemon that are unobtainable, which depends on what list of Pokemon they decide to use in the next generation.

Ignoring all that however, canon game regions would be completely out of the question since they would make better standalone games, rather than DLC.

To be fair, a few of you are saying there's no reason to add (more) dlc to Pokemon, but Pokemon is probably the first game in history to use dlc.

I feel it would be quite interesting if dlc for this was instated like dlc was for rbygsc, where you had to be in a specific place at a certain time to get it, and all you had to spend was your time.

That sentiment is rather wishy-washy. You could technically argue that yes, DLC is prevalent in Pokemon. But that is simply because the content is already present within the game data. Get an event Mew? Already in the data. Get an event item? Already in the data. The kind of data you're talking about is more akin to expansions, where entirely new or rewritten code is introduced to the game, requiring those who don't have the expansion to own it or not play with friends.

Is it possible for them to sidestep these issues? Yes, but only if they are smart about it and implement the data beforehand. And again, this all depends on if it's worthwhile for the audience, plus makes perfect business sense from their end.

What's there to be sick about? If anything, I'd rather be sick from a lack of remakes than there being remakes. There's honestly nothing wrong with an old game getting a fresh coat of paint. And yes, you could make the argument that they're making money off of that which they've already done. That pretty much applies to sequels too. Plus, you can make the counter-argument that a newer, younger audience gains access to games that they'd otherwise have to spend a fortune on.

Anyway, your point with Sinnoh is what I was already suggesting in my post anyway. It's just that many people seem to be under the impression that Game Freak will suddenly decide that making a Pokemon game with all regions makes complete business sense. It's an unrealistic, idealized game for the franchise.

You make a valid point with anime filler, but that's assuming they even wish to follow up on that and not just make an entirely different game based around it. The only time the games attempted to exclusively follow the anime's plot was Yellow, which was some time ago. This isn't to say they couldn't make anime/manga exclusive DLC content for Pokemon, but for it to be worthwhile it would have to offer Pokemon that are unobtainable, which depends on what list of Pokemon they decide to use in the next generation.

Ignoring all that however, canon game regions would be completely out of the question since they would make better standalone games, rather than DLC.

That sentiment is rather wishy-washy. You could technically argue that yes, DLC is prevalent in Pokemon. But that is simply because the content is already present within the game data. Get an event Mew? Already in the data. Get an event item? Already in the data. The kind of data you're talking about is more akin to expansions, where entirely new or rewritten code is introduced to the game, requiring those who don't have the expansion to own it or not play with friends.

Is it possible for them to sidestep these issues? Yes, but only if they are smart about it and implement the data beforehand. And again, this all depends on if it's worthwhile for the audience, plus makes perfect business sense from their end.
Panda, I feel like you completely misunderstood me. I never said anything about all regions being in a game, I suggested the exact opposite; and the point with the Orange Islands and the Battle Frontier was only an example. The point I was making with that was that DLC has a lot of room for new possibilities. The universe has wormholes, and time travelers, beings that twist space and time, I think your thinking is too limited where that's concerned. I'm not asking about the methods of DLC that's been used, but how you all think it will be implemented.

Let's see our DLC possibilities... Buy more Master Balls (with real currency)... Buy rare Pokémon with special moves? Na that's too unlikely. Buy an add-on where you can play the game with different battle mechanics like reverse battles in a facility or only monotype teams allowed that seems interesting. Bringing back previous battle facilities would be neat like the Wifi battle Subway. I wouldn't pay for just a couple more battles with preexisting characters from the series unless they included Jesse and James or Miror B. and you had the VS. Seeker. But I don't think I'd want to pay for any of it as long as I can transfer teams and compete in online competitions.

Panda, I feel like you completely misunderstood me. I never said anything about all regions being in a game, I suggested the exact opposite; and the point with the Orange Islands and the Battle Frontier was only an example. The point I was making with that was that DLC has a lot of room for new possibilities. The universe has wormholes, and time travelers, beings that twist space and time, I think your thinking is too limited where that's concerned. I'm not asking about the methods of DLC that's been used, but how you all think it will be implemented.

I feel like you've misunderstood me. The "all regions" issue was but merely a side point in my post. I'm attempting to cover all the bases here.

My point being however, is that it's unlikely we will see proper DLC in a Pokemon game. When it comes to Pokemon, everything is already be present in the game from the get-go; it's just that a lot of that happens to be already locked behind an item you can't get outside of an event, or Pokemon that are unobtainable. As it is, Pokemon doesn't need DLC like other games do, and the only real reason I could see behind doing that would be for an extra bit of money in their pocket. Money that they already get from packaging the same game twice with differences.

Now, I'm not saying that DLC is impossible for Pokemon. But considering their track record (plus the chance that they could've put out DLC on the 3DS titles but didn't), it's very unlikely that they will pursue that model for their next gen titles.

TL;DR: Basically, I think it won't be implemented at all, except in in the form of Mystery Gift like we've been doing since Gen IV.

Last edited:
ball capsules, anyone?

If they are going to make another game with the exact same graphics and sometimes character assets why can’t they make it a dlc expansion sense they they allow trading between games anyway, it shouldn’t be a problem, unless the download size is too big.

If they are going to make another game with the exact same graphics and sometimes character assets why can’t they make it a dlc expansion sense they they allow trading between games anyway, it shouldn’t be a problem, unless the download size is too big.
Because why lock it behind a paywall? If it makes more money they would release it as a new game. And if it doesn't then why do it at all? That's just how economics work but who knows maybe they have a different plan.

Because why lock it behind a paywall? If it makes more money they would release it as a new game. And if it doesn't then why do it at all? That's just how economics work but who knows maybe they have a different plan.
It would cost money because just like a new game it took effort to make. It would make money because it would improve the game while costing less than a new one. And sometimes the most economical way isn’t the way that gets more people to buy or be excited about a product. Not everyone wants to have to buy a ton of full games to catch em all.

It would cost money because just like a new game it took effort to make. It would make money because it would improve the game while costing less than a new one. And sometimes the most economical way isn’t the way that gets more people to buy or be excited about a product. Not everyone wants to have to buy a ton of full games to catch em all.

Ultimately they would be spending less money overall if they include it within the game itself and locked it away via an event.

How would you feel about DLC regions in the next console version of Pokemon?
As long as they're free, I'm cool with it :cool-pika:

But I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if it means added story instead of them bringing out a totally new game like how they did the ultra versions of Sun and Moon. Big plus if it's like Emerald's Battle Frontier.

Reactions: Mikaya
The issue with DLC in Pokémon is all the things I'd be willing to pay out money for (an actual, real, good Battle Frontier, new Post-Game Locations, extra Legendaries) is that I feel all that should be in the base game already. If I'm gonna pay $60 US for a game, I'd want it to include the features that have already been successfully included in the base games of previous entries of the same series. And while some of these things haven't been around for a while, if they were to make their return I feel it should be in the base, not as an add-on.

Of course, if Pokémon did release a good Battle Frontier as DLC I would still buy it, so I guess as a company it makes sense. That doesn't mean I like it though.

What if they were to make a bunch of Pokémon after the game is over. Why can’t they let you buy a 10$ lure to get a ton of new pokemon to come out of hiding?

What if they were to make a bunch of Pokémon after the game is over. Why can’t they let you buy a 10$ lure to get a ton of new pokemon to come out of hiding?
The issue would come with splitting the playerbase. You'd either make these Pokémon limited to only people who buy the DLC, meaning that online matches would be split into who did or didn't buy the DLC. Or, everyone gets the data and only the people who paid can catch them in the wild. Then you'd run into the issue of trading these DLC Pokémon, effectively ripping off those who bought the DLC and now anyone could get them.

You could attempt to allow people to only battle with each other but not trade, but that's still splitting the playerbase, and also opens up the game to a multitude of possible bugs and exploits.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Back