Do you think the Nintendo Switch should have had disc shaped games?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
...or do you prefer the current, smaller game card?

Your game is less likely to get scratches and be damaged I guess..

Wii disc game pic :

DbGDuZqVwAE-ipr.jpg

But you see less art, for people who are into those types of things :

0kpdktE.jpg

I personally prefer the game cards. They're smaller and better to store when you're done playing.

Yeah game cards are good, and I like them better, but psp had something like a small game card with a CD in it. So all depends on how the CD is made the psp CD looked a lot like game cards.

Discs are better if you store your games in the cases they came with. Chips/cards are better if you put them in cases that store multiple games imo but are more likely of getting lost. Sure CDs have more room for art but GCN discs had less room for art so you might as well just only put the title on the disc.

I prefer chips and I'm glad they did that for the Switch.

It would certainly be harder to take discs on the go. I’m for pretty much either way. I don’t like the switch tax, buy I’m glad it gets a lot of games.

If you wanna know my thoughts on it, I say no. Mainly because in my history of getting games, discs have a tendency to get scratched right the fudge-pudding up. :p
I personally think that was a good move, making the games card-shaped. I don't think they'll be too big of a problem to read it they happen to get a bit dusty. Wiping it off with Ray should remedy that.
Plus, as long as people are responsible and keep them in their cases, they won't get lost. \o/

I prefer cartridges. I always feel like discs load slow and most of the time they make you download the content from the disc onto the system now ( like with FF 15 and some of the other ps4 games ).... I know the carts are small but I dunno, there's something nostalgic about popping them in lol

I'm not really a fan of discs as they can get dirty or scratched easily even when you think you look after them properly. xd

Game cards are much more portable (if that's the right word to use) and you don't have to fiddle around with them. The cards are less likely to develop problems in the long run. Not to mention, Discs are so last century. xd

Reactions: P2.0
I can understand the part where you can put more art on the game disc but I don't really see how that's even a bit important (or maybe it's just me). Most of the time you can easily express the game artisticly through the game's box art. That suffices most of the times. So I'll say that having game cards is the better of the two, more compact and portable.

Reactions: Mikaya
If Switch were to have the disc-shaped games, it means Ninty should make sure the disc is inserted inside, no matter if it's on docked or portable mode. Maybe PSP-esque disc/cartridge hybrid would work in a way, but still, I like Switch using game card as it is because these carts are small and portable.

If speaking of putting nice arts in the game though, they're usually come in physical box art nowadays. And those who bought digital purchases are not left out as well, because the title logo in Switch's menu screen itself is also an art in a way.

I actually like disc more since we wouldn't have as many force downloads for games. We are seeing a good range of third party games that come with that banner that we have to download some parts so we can play the game. The carts must cost too much so we get this problem. However having a portable disc drive is just an awful idea so going with carts is the right choice for that. I still don't like this new problem we have now because of it however.

I've yet to buy a Switch, but I like the cartridges. They're compact, easy to store, hard to break, and feel very Nintendo. Artwork on the game itself is not that important to me, the CD will spend most of its time inside a console or case, so it's not a huge loss. CDs have their advantages and cartridges their drawbacks, but for many Nintendo games, I think cartridges are a good choice.

If only they'd reduce the size of the Switch cases to fit the cartridges better. That's a lot of wasted plastic.

I love thecarts. The boxes are smaller but still have great artwork, and if they had tried smaller disks the games wouldn’t fit. Big disks would require the switch to be extra bulky, and damage to the disks while playing in handheld mode would be a high possibility.

Back