2016, still in love with old games.

• Thread starter Aura Knight
  • Start date

Which of these systems did you grow up with?

• Total voters
Aura Knight

Aura Knight

Spirit of the West
Towns Folk
Hello everyone!

Wow! When you look at the history of gaming, I'm amazed at how much we've advanced over the years! From the pixels of an Atari system to the striking VR, video games have definitely grown as much as we have!

And yet, from all the fancy graphics and near-flawless material, I can't help but to enjoy games in the early times. Sure, I was a kid born in 2001, but games like Mega Man and Crash Bandicoot have been a big part of my childhood. Heck, my Dad even brought home a full-on NES once upon a time! So, yeah, old games have really struck my fancy lately.

I guess I now play them because it makes me feel special. Sometimes, when I ask my classmates if they've played the original Mega Man games, most of them said "No", and some said "What's Mega Man?". I guess I go back because those give me great accomplishment for beating them. Probably because most of the old games were known for throwing you into the action with no tutorial, which, don't get me wrong, I like most times.

So, I guess my post for today is how much I've really grown to like old games. Well, then again, I guess I've better get used to it; I probably won't be able to play new games that come out.

Well, thanks for reading my garbage! Bye!

Aye I know the feeling. I still pull out Pokemon Red and my old Gameboy Color (complete with batteries) from time to time. Half-life 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic will forever have a place in my heart (and forever ruining Bioshock and Mass Effect). I couldn't even get past an hour of the new XCOM just because it wasn't enough like the original. Red Alert is still my defining RTS, complete with its broken V2s and prism tanks as well as campy dialogues and campaign.
The nostalgia effect is strong.

Reactions: Aura Knight
Oh yea, growing up on early video games was the best! I played a lot of Gameboy(Color, Advanced, SP too) I used to covet the Hamtaro games.(why O why did I sell those? :banghead: ) I also played PS2 frequently. Anyone else play Star Trek: Elite Force or GTA 3?(my faves on there)

I love the games for Gameboy Original/Color/Advance it had Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Final fantasy and much more. And i also love the games for gamecube Like Super Mario Sunshine, The Legend Of Zelda Wind Waker, The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance.
Edit: this are not the only old consoles i have played these are just the consoles i started with and had a lot of memories off.

I grew with a Nintendo 64. (Particularly with the Super Mario 64. That my friend, was my childhood.)

Reactions: Blue Knight and Aura Knight
I grew with a Nintendo 64. (Particularly with the Super Mario 64. That my friend, was my childhood.)
Same case here o/

Even with all the advancements, I think some classic games are still pretty much unparalleled in one respect or another. It doesn't take a huge budget or sophisticated tech to make a game that plays well and pulls you in.

I also think that the nostalgia factor plays a role in making us perceive these games a certain way. Like you said, they feel "special" to us, because we associate them with a special time in our lives.

Man, the Nintendo GameCube was my childhood in a nutshell! I used to sit in front of the TV for hours, playing Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. And don’t even get me started on the Mario Party series, lol. I played the heck out of Mario Party 5 :artist:

The DS Lite was also a big part of my growing up. Gosh, I’m just getting nostalgic feels all over just from typing all of this, lol

Everyone has their own games they like, some even religiously but I have only 3 ways to identify whether I like a game or not. 1: I have to be good at it. 2: I have to have multiplayer to see how good I am. 3: It has to have a challenge. I guess my favorite old games are Spyro and Pokémon Colosseum and they still hold up today because nothing can match the feel, look and gameplay which makes sense unless it's a remake and even then they don't get everything from the old games you like for example the new music in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy or the sheer skill the coders did to compensate for the older system's capabilities. I get what you mean and I guess we were made to like the games we lived with.

Back