Support Needed 3ds Screen Crack Help

• Thread starter TribstyAnn
  • Start date
TribstyAnn

TribstyAnn

Me.
Towns Folk
I went on a beach trip yesterday and took my 3ds with me for the car ride. I left it in the vehicle in a safe place while we went to the beach. It did not get hot in the vehicle, and I didn't get any sand in the console. After I got home I played my 3ds some and it was perfectly fine. I flipped the lid. A while Later I went to bed and opened up my 3ds lid to find a big line running from top to bottom of the top screen with a bunch of dead black pixels around it. I used it some, and it still ran perfectly well, then powered it off, plugged it into the charger and then went to sleep.

This morning when I woke up and turned it on the dead pixels around the line were mostly gone except for some around the bottom of the screen, making it much nicer to look at. The big line was still there but hard to see. It's a lot easier to see on a black background. I powered it off and took it the back cover off and everything out of it and carefully cleaned it. I didn't find any sand anywhere inside or outside. I put everything back together with no difference to the line and dead pixels.

My guess is that the line is a crack in the screen, but I have no idea how it would have happened. I have not dropped it or hit it recently, but I have dropped my 3ds in the past and it was fine. I also have a screen protector on and am unable to feel any sort of crack or bump.

I would like to know if I can get this repaired for cheap, or at least get rid of the dead pixels. The crack itself is not too noticeable, so as long as I get rid of the dead pixels around it I will be happy.

My 3ds is running Luma 8.1, Boot9Strap, and System Version 11.5.0-38U
I have not installed any new apps or homebrew apps recently.

Here are some pictures I took of it. My camera is terrible, but hopefully you can kinda see what it is. The dead pixels at the bottom of the crack are just to the left of the glare. I tried to get a pic on a blakc background where the entire crack was visible, but it couldn't show up on the camera.
DSCF5377.JPG DSCF5378.JPG

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

Well to me I think that there nothing wrong with the 3DS but it may have been the stuff you put on it.You said that you didn't put anything on it but would you have did an update on Luma lately?Im not really sure about that stuff but the problem may have been an update didn't function correctly.

No updates to Luma recently either. Plus I don't think it's a software issue, but that the screen may have been physically crakked. I just don't know how that would have happened. Also if it was a problem with a Luma update or something there would probably be other people having the same issues as I am.

Well here's an idea that might ask your question.Take out your SD card and turn on your 3DS if it's still there then we can say it's not Luma.If it's not there then the problem is Luma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was your 3ds under any kind of pressure in the 'safe place'. (like physical pressure) I find it hard to imagine a vehicle not being super hot around this time of the year. How long were you out at the beach? It might've been hot at some point. Having dropped it in the past could also play some role.

Dead pixels definitely don't sound like a software issue. But at least you could still play normally on it. I'm afraid I don't know much about places you could get it repaired.

Reactions: TribstyAnn
It still plays fine, and it's only kind of annoying. This safe place was just like a glove box kind of thing. I didn't have any other object on top of it either. We were only our on the beach for a few hours and it didn't get hot in the vehicle. We were on the Oregon coast and it's never super warm there. Plus the vehicle had tinted windows that kept it from getting too hot.

Was your 3ds under any kind of pressure in the 'safe place'. (like physical pressure) I find it hard to imagine a vehicle not being super hot around this time of the year. How long were you out at the beach? It might've been hot at some point. Having dropped it in the past could also play some role.

Dead pixels definitely don't sound like a software issue. But at least you could still play normally on it. I'm afraid I don't know much about places you could get it repaired.
I honestly doubt that dropping it before played a role unless that it was from some place high up but besides that dropping it from your hands on normal level would probably only scratch it up.

It still plays fine, and it's only kind of annoying. This safe place was just like a glove box kind of thing. I didn't have any other object on top of it either. We were only our on the beach for a few hours and it didn't get hot in the vehicle. We were on the Oregon coast and it's never super warm there. Plus the vehicle had tinted windows that kept it from getting too hot.
If it was in a glove box then it might have over heated since no air can go in to keep it cool.So I would suggest keep your 3DS someplace not too hot nor cold and leave it alone for a couple of hours then check back on it.If there still there you may need to wait some more or go get it repaired on I'm not really sure

Also check to see if the screen may have warped that could be another problem too.If would might have warped if it got too hot so just check by looking at screen or run you fingers across the screen to see if there's any bumps on it

Hmm I guess maybe it's just aged? Could be a possibility.

I honestly doubt that dropping it before played a role unless that it was from some place high up but besides that dropping it from your hands on normal level would probably only scratch it up.
Still depends on the angle, the type of surface, etc. though Nintendo stuff are known to be sturdy or something

Reactions: TribstyAnn and Dark Link
Hmm I guess maybe it's just aged? Could be a possibility.

Probably. I have had it for a very long time and do take it with me everywhere. It wasn't in a glove box, I don't really know what to call it. Basically a large indentation under the dashboard in the middle of the front. It didn't have a lid and wasn't closed, but was out of the sunlight. All the windows were tinted too.

Probably. I have had it for a very long time and do take it with me everywhere. It wasn't in a glove box, I don't really know what to call it. Basically a large indentation under the dashboard in the middle of the front. It didn't have a lid and wasn't closed, but was out of the sunlight. All the windows were tinted too.
Oh ok then it couldn't have overheated

Did you try Doing what I said with the SD Card? Take it out of your 3DS ,Turn on our 3DS and see if it still shows up on the screen if it doesn't then the problem is on the SD card.Why it keeps doing that is a Mystery but I do recall seeing a video about this and why it happens I'll find the Link so you can watch it

That will not change anything. You obviously don't know a lot about Homebrew and CFW.

A nice update, though, The dead pixels have been mostly fixed, with me barely noticing only a few left. The only thing left if the physical crack in the screen, which isn't too bad.

That will not change anything. You obviously don't know a lot about Homebrew and CFW.

A nice update, though, The dead pixels have been mostly fixed, with me barely noticing only a few left. The only thing left if the physical crack in the screen, which isn't too bad.

Sounds like if you do want it fixed though, then I'd say talk to Nintendo and set it to be repaired, but that'll cost you and since you homebrewed it, I think that might cost more if they feel you've broke the warranty on it.

If you've dropped it before, then it could have caused a very VERY small fracture on the screen, and if that got too hot or too cold, then that could have cause the screen to expand or shrink just enough for the fracture to expand, causing the dead pixels and the crack.

The warranty ran out on it a while ago, just because I've had my 3ds for a while. I did cfw it which Is another reason I Wouldn't send it in to them. Plus I don't know if they do non-warranty repairs.

Is there any non-Nintendo place to get them repaired?

The warranty ran out on it a while ago, just because I've had my 3ds for a while. I did cfw it which Is another reason I Wouldn't send it in to them. Plus I don't know if they do non-warranty repairs.

Is there any non-Nintendo place to get them repaired?

there might be somewhere local to you, but I guess the best thing to do is either see if you could repair it yourself, or again, see if there's anywhere local that'll do it for you. But it might get a bit expensive.

I went on a beach trip yesterday and took my 3ds with me for the car ride. I left it in the vehicle in a safe place while we went to the beach. It did not get hot in the vehicle, and I didn't get any sand in the console. After I got home I played my 3ds some and it was perfectly fine. I flipped the lid. A while Later I went to bed and opened up my 3ds lid to find a big line running from top to bottom of the top screen with a bunch of dead black pixels around it. I used it some, and it still ran perfectly well, then powered it off, plugged it into the charger and then went to sleep.

This morning when I woke up and turned it on the dead pixels around the line were mostly gone except for some around the bottom of the screen, making it much nicer to look at. The big line was still there but hard to see. It's a lot easier to see on a black background. I powered it off and took it the back cover off and everything out of it and carefully cleaned it. I didn't find any sand anywhere inside or outside. I put everything back together with no difference to the line and dead pixels.

My guess is that the line is a crack in the screen, but I have no idea how it would have happened. I have not dropped it or hit it recently, but I have dropped my 3ds in the past and it was fine. I also have a screen protector on and am unable to feel any sort of crack or bump.

I would like to know if I can get this repaired for cheap, or at least get rid of the dead pixels. The crack itself is not too noticeable, so as long as I get rid of the dead pixels around it I will be happy.

My 3ds is running Luma 8.1, Boot9Strap, and System Version 11.5.0-38U
I have not installed any new apps or homebrew apps recently.

Here are some pictures I took of it. My camera is terrible, but hopefully you can kinda see what it is. The dead pixels at the bottom of the crack are just to the left of the glare. I tried to get a pic on a blakc background where the entire crack was visible, but it couldn't show up on the camera.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide.
It is possible to replace a 3DS's upper LCD, and it is actually a lot easier than I thought. It is a little bit on the expensive side (looking at ~$50 for a new LCD with the proper resolution and dimension, as well as possibly a soldering iron) but nothing major at all. Here's the tutorial I used: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+3DS+Upper+LCD+Replacement/6176
Good luck, and if worst comes to worst, you could ship it over to my place and I could fix it for free because I have pretty much everything you need to fix it :)

Back