A discussion about console hacks

• Thread starter Blacklist
  • Start date
Blacklist

Blacklist

Anonymous
Towns Folk
I just really want to know what everyone thinks of hackers. Are they really that bad? They are going to be banned at one point so... Well, what do you think?

Everyone likes to portray hackers as people who always do things wrong and mess up games and cheat when really its the person themselves using modding to their advantage. Not everything that involves modification is gonna mess up something or get you banned, either. It's like a stereotype for people who like modding/hacking their consoles for use on things other than "piracy" or "cheating".

Reactions: Hayleia
I honestly don't have a problem with it as long as it isn't used for piracy or anything else illegal. I myself used homebrew on my 3ds, but never installed FBI or freeshop. If people want to do Custom Quests in MH4U that's fine, provided they do it with other fully aware, consenting players and don't use their illegitimate gear when playing with other normal players. I feel like hacking can be used in cool and creative ways, that are fun and interesting without being dangerous or illegal. Stardew Valley doesn't have Steam workshop support, but I still use mods for it to improve my enjoyment of the game. And when I get my Switch I'll probably Homebrew it as well, once it get developed.

I've been playing online with a lot of people here and
  1. I was never banned since I bought my first 3DS back in 2014
  2. no one thought I was a bad person
even though my 4 consoles from the 3DS family are hacked and my Wii U is too.

It's just that "hacks" rhyme with "piracy" and "cheats" in the minds of most people. And yeah, cheaters should be banned (and something should be done about pirates, but you can't ban them from piracy, it doesn't make sense, so no idea).

And to be completely honest, the only thing I 99% (not 100 because some games like FFE are stupid, but otherwise yeah, MK/Pokemon/Splatoon cheaters should be banned) disagree with is cheats, but I don't manage to disagree with piracy research (I disagree with piracy obviously, but the research for it has good consequences) when I see the buying options we're given:
  • buy cartridges and be annoyed when you need to swap to switch games
  • buy digital and don't get anything physical from your money, plus the fact that once servers shut down, you paid and you really don't have anything left out of the money you paid
So yeah, I kind of like being able to buy cartridges (so I have a physical and lasting purchase) but still be able to install these games as digital content. That's why most of my games are still under blisters lol.

@supertristan00 You don't need to hack your console at all to get a custom quest :p
You only need a fake proxy program on your PC.

Reactions: Mikaya
@supertristan00 You don't need to hack your console at all to get a custom quest :p You only need a fake proxy program on your PC.

Yeah, but lots of people refer to them as hacks, and there is a lot of people who are completely against them, even to mistreating players they suspect have done them. I was just saying that there is a way that I feel is acceptable for them to be used. Like using them to create harder fights for more endgame content, or to create weird wacky fights.

As a formal script kiddie, as what some would refer to as ha hacker, Most Hackers are not trying to cause harm. While there are the few, look at the people who enhanced Mario Kart with CTGP, or those with Riivolution to edit the game in almost unimaginable ways!
I agree those who try to rack up points by using harmful hacks and stuff like that are bad, but son't keep the misconception that all are bad.

I think the problem is that the "most hackers who are not harmful" get unnoticed. So people assume all hackers are like the ones they notice, and they notice those ones because they are harmful, so they assume all hackers are harmful.

Reactions: Ethendor and PrimordialMew24
I was thinking about this idea yesterday. People only notice when you do something. If the majority of people don't do something nobody will notice, because people don't notice the absence of something, only the presence of something. The "most hackers who are not harmful" aren't doing good for the world, they are just abstaining from doing harm, and so in doing the absence of harm go unnoticed.

Reactions: PrimordialMew24 and Hayleia
I don't see hacking as bad mostly. I find that people are able to make emulators and applications for homebrew fascinates me like how are people more knowing internally about a company's software than the company itself. Like CFW for example, it must've taken people a lot of time to get in depth how to have custom applications on the 3ds home menu. Though Nintendos reaction to the current hacking of their consoles just results in banning the person which doesn't make since because Nintendo has stated they have been hiring people to find exploits in their systems OS and basically hack the thing.

[QUOTE="Eric Cartman, post: 477720, member: 11856"Though Nintendos reaction to the current hacking of their consoles just results in banning the person which doesn't make since because Nintendo has stated they have been hiring people to find exploits in their systems OS and basically hack the thing.[/QUOTE]
It does make sense though. Hacking is some people's legal job. Watch MatPat's Game Lab. They will find the vulnerabilities in a company's systems so the company can then fix it and make it more secure. It's very different from people hacking for their own benefit, as well as the benefit of other than the original company. I don't see it as wrong, and it fascinates me as well, but there is still a difference. Nintendo has every right to hack their own systems to find holes in their own code, but the people hacking on their own are technically on the wrong side of the law.

True especially with the free shop incident.

I don't think that hacking a console is a bad thing unless it gives the hacker an unfair advantage (e.g cheating in Smash 4 or 600cc mode in MK8). Other hacks, such as adding costumes in Smash or skins in Mario Kart actually seem like a pretty cool idea to me, even if I've never personally done it.

Back