Anyone doing IB, AP, or Honers classes?

• Thread starter TheSpiritedWarrior
  • Start date
TheSpiritedWarrior

TheSpiritedWarrior

Never gives up a fight
Towns Folk
How are IB and AP classes? I plan on registering for the IB program next year, mainly because of the ib diploma, university acceptance, and how it will better prepare me for college. I am going to be a freshman next year, and currently for ib and ap, I have 2 pre ib classes, which is Spanish 1 (I so regret not doing Spanish in middle school) and pre ib English, which I believe is almost the same as the honers class but a bit harder. I have 1 AP class, which is human geo. I believe that pre ib spanish 1 is supposed to catch you up to spanish 3.

So I want to know, how are those classes for you guys? Are they difficult in one way or another, or is it just the procrastination piece? I heard of many horror stories, especially with the IB stuff. That would be great if you guys can tell me your experiences with IB and AP, honors would be great also.

I took one AP class last year, I'm in four this year, and I'm signed up for six next year (so I probably won't be getting any sleep lol). I don't know a lot about the IB program, but I think it is certainly comparable to AP, although some people might regard it as slightly harder (?).

In my experience with AP classes so far, I haven't found them to be as ridiculously difficult as people make them out to be. Sure, I might be like 4 assignments behind in calculus, but I'm not up till 2 AM every night like people make the AP work load out to be. I think if you do well in honors classes, then AP is just a natural progression from those classes. I haven't taken AP Human Geography (they're offering it at my school for the first time next year, and I would take it but I can't fit it in my schedule. My brother is taking it though) but from what I've read about it, it isn't particularly difficult, so I think you'll be fine. As far as I'm aware, it's the most commonly taken AP class by freshmen across the country and serves as a good introduction to the AP program.

I was a freshman this year and took all honors classes, before people were saying that honors in high school is a big step up and way different from honors in middle school but in my experience so far, I think the difficulty only depends on how good your teacher is. Ex) I have one teacher that is really good, teaches really well and does not give us unessary assignments, only things that will help us do better in the class. Most of the students in our class have an A. On the other hand, some of my friends have a different teacher for the same subject. In his class, I've heard he doesn't teach, he just reads off sheets that he gives his students with little explaining. In addition to that, he gives students homework like 20-30 pages of a book to annotate once in a while and places heavy emphasis on those types of big assignments. Many of the students in his class have a C or a B and an A is rare there.
I would go to a site like ratemyteachers.com for your school and see what people said about the teachers for the classes you are planning on taking for your school

cu2Eb4H.jpg

nuff said

I just do lots of AP courses, they basically help you take a load off during college because those are classes which you take for free in high school which most people pay for in college.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be doing college classes next year if my mother would let me but she is paranoid. Next year I'm taking AP Trigonometry, AP American History, and AP Chemistry

cu2Eb4H.jpg

nuff said

I just do lots of AP courses, they basically help you take a load off during college because those are classes which you take for free in high school which most people pay for in college.
Why are you taking Physics 1 and Physics C?

I would be doing college classes next year if my mother would let me but she is paranoid. Next year I'm taking AP Trigonometry, AP American History, and AP Chemistry

AP Trigonometry isn't a class?

Also, since everyone is posting what they're taking, I will too.

Last Year:
AP U.S. History

This Year:
AP Psychology
AP English Lang. and Comp.
AP Calculus BC
AP Physics 1

Next Year:
AP Microeconomics/AP Macroeconomics
AP English Lit. and Comp. (probably gonna die in this)
AP Statistics
AP Biology
AP German
AP Music Theory (friends forced me to sign up for this lol)

Why are you taking Physics 1 and Physics C?
You get two credits for the material of one!

They go hand-in-hand so I figured it would be a good thing to try out.

They go hand-in-hand so I figured it would be a good thing to try out.
That's impressive, I can barely handle Physics 1 by itself e.e

That's impressive, I can barely handle Physics 1 by itself e.e
Well Physics C is essentially Physics 1 + Calculus

How are IB and AP classes? I plan on registering for the IB program next year, mainly because of the ib diploma, university acceptance, and how it will better prepare me for college. I am going to be a freshman next year, and currently for ib and ap, I have 2 pre ib classes, which is Spanish 1 (I so regret not doing Spanish in middle school) and pre ib English, which I believe is almost the same as the honers class but a bit harder. I have 1 AP class, which is human geo. I believe that pre ib spanish 1 is supposed to catch you up to spanish 3.

So I want to know, how are those classes for you guys? Are they difficult in one way or another, or is it just the procrastination piece? I heard of many horror stories, especially with the IB stuff. That would be great if you guys can tell me your experiences with IB and AP, honors would be great also.
i was asked by the school if i want to be in AP but i said no because we have to work alot.

i was asked by the school if i want to be in AP but i said no because we have to work alot.
Lazy Daisy, why would you say no to being in an AP class? You're going to have a heavy work load eventually.

AP Chem for life! Most of my friends are also in AP US but I'm not in it thankfully. My US class is such light work, my teacher has it so if you pretty much just do your work in class you have zero-little homework. I hear my friends talking about all the time in APUSH how they have a textbook outline due soon or they have a test or essay coming up the next day. Luckily I don't have to deal with all of that. I have enough work as it is, and I value my sleep and need to go to bed at a reasonable hour and not go to bed at like 2 like a lot of my friends do. I'm not sure what AP's I'm going to take next year, but I'm leaning towards taking AP Calc, and possibly AP Bio or AP Gov. (I would only pick one of those to do)

I think IB and AP programs are great prep for college and post-secondary education. As far as my course load goes:
AP: Physics
AP: Philosophy
AP: Psychology
AP: Accounting

Next semester:
AP: Computer Engineering
AP: Computer Programming
Hospitality (Who doesn't like food?)
AP: Challenge and Change In Society

(Except Mondays: Enrichment)

With work my schedule is all kinds of crazy but meh, all looks great on applications and resumes I guess...
Regardless, I think AP programs (IB too I guess my school has only AP instead) are great if you're considering post-secondary or owning a business e.t.c. as it not only teaches you the subject matter but how it maintains relevancy. At least that's what I think, so I would highly recommend you take AP courses at your own leisure.

Back