Are there any games you loved at first but now dislike?

• Thread starter Knight
  • Start date
Knight

Knight

Aspiring Punladin
Towns Folk
Or have simply grown to like less, if you don't outright dislike them.

For me, Skyrim was one of these games. I adored it at first, and had a blast doing quests, exploring every corner of the world, leveling up skill lines, fighting enemies, studying the lore, clearing dungeons and hauling around tons of loot to sell for meaningless coin. It was unlike any game I had ever played before with its open-world vastness, massive lore, fully voiced dialogue for hundreds of characters, countless sidequests, about as many dungeons, endlessly respawning foes to battle and fiends to be slain.

Though it's an easy game to get into even for people unfamiliar with the genre, the game lacks the depth to make me want to play any more of it. The RPG elements are very watered down compared to Oblivion, even more so compared to Morrowind or Daggerfall. Character building is less engaging with how homogeneous most races are and how the perks work. It feels more like gradually building an unstoppable death machine than actually building a character in the traditional RPG fashion. Magic becomes underpowered at higher levels, aside from exploits and endless stunlocks. Combat is clunky with plenty of bugs to affect the experience. The writing is rather poor, which is very noticeable in the game's many quests and lines of dialogue. The quests themselves lack the variety of Oblivion's, and most are underwhelming or unmemorable. In addition to the game's shortcomings, the innumerable bugs and crashes, while standard for Bethesda games, doesn't make it any more tolerable to play.

While there are mods to restore RPG elements, patch bugs and make the game more enjoyable to play, the vanilla game is fairly underwhelming to me these days. It was fun until the novelty wore off, and I started seeing its flaws. It's easily accessible to almost any player, but that's about all it has going for it in my eyes.

For me, it's Undertale.

I remember first getting it and being so excited to play. I wanted to find all the secrets, get to know the story better, and I wanted to have a blast. Me and my siblings loved it at the time.

But then I saw the fandom we had gotten ourselves into. It wasn't the fandom itself that turned me off but the pictures they drew. They've drawn pictures of the characters doing disgusting things. *shudder* Terrible things. So then I stopped playing and left it for my siblings to play, with them still being quite oblivious about what I've seen.

It's not just that, but it's also because once you've done all the routs, there's nothing to really do...

So now I Undertale is very neutral for me. Its not that I hate it, it's just that I don't think of it a high regard record - breaking game like the internet thinks. There are other games that, let's face it, are more fulfilling to play than Undertale. Final Fantasy VI, the MOTHER series, Kingdom Hearts, and others I've played and are more of a favorite than Undertale (tell me, does Undertale have a score just as awesome as MOTHER 3's "f-f-fire!"?)

So that's my story. I don't like it, but I don't hate it either. I'm very neutral about it.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star. I always wanted a paper mario game on 3ds. I never thought they could mess it up as bad as they did in sticker star.

Pokémon Shuffle comes as one for me. I used to play it a lot, but I find it to be too hard to play as the time goes...

I think Resident evil's changed as a known franchise. All the games got a little worse past 4. (7 being the worst most strangest in the franchise.) It's just not relevant anymore.

Clash royale, clash of clans, Super smash bros., animal crossing,

Used to love Fire Emblem Awakening and, in fairness, it did introduce me to what became my favourite franchise for a while. But nowadays I'm not so big a fan of the entry that pushed it into the mainstream.

Compared to later entries, the maps are pretty basic and uninspired, it's essentially a game about throwing your strongest units against the enemies until they die. Grinding is easily accessible and sometimes encouraged. Character personalities are weak and the dialogue is incredibly lighthearted in a dull manner.

Granted, this was an experimental game of sorts, they needed a way to appeal to the mainstream or else they were going to do away with the series entirely. Thankfully, with Fates, they took the series back into a more hardcore approach - or at least as far as Conquest was concerned - and nowadays they keep a mix of casual and hardcore play into the series. At least the maps are better, characters are more interesting and gameplay more balanced.

It may have kicked off the series (for the second time, I guess, counting Binding Blade or whatever that was called) but the consequent release blow Awakening out of the water by far.

Back