Are there multiple legendary Pokemon in the real Pokemon world?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Like, are there more than one legendary Pokemon of their kind in the "real" Pokemon world? For example, if we're looking at the Pokemon world (and not just the games where people trade to obtain more than one legendary Pokemon), can you encounter two or more of the same kind of legendary Pokemon like Mew, Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus, etc?

It depends on the origins and roles of certain legendary Pokemon. Pokemon like Arceus, the Lake Trio and the Weather Trio are integral to the creation of the world so there should only be one of each. That doesn't however mean there can't be more of them (with exception to Arceus), as we see in HGSS's Sinjoh Ruins event that Arceus is capable of recreating Giratina, Dialga and Palkia. From that reasoning alone, any legendary excepting Arceus himself could have more than one present in the Pokemon world.

But suppose that Arceus doesn't feel like doing that or hasn't done that barring creation itself and that one-off incident. Based off of some evidence from other Pokemon media, we can see there are a few legendaries that can exist in multiples. Mew has been stated numerous times in Pokedex entries to hold DNA of all Pokemon in the world, so it follows that Mew is their common ancestor. This means there had to have been billions of them in the past. Celebi from Pokemon 4Ever is shown to have more Celebi friends who traveled to the present and brought it back from death. You could technically argue that they're past/future versions of Celebi itself, but we can't know if that's truly the case.

Pokemon Heroes shows that despite Latios sacrificing himself, there is another Lati-duo out there when watching the credits. Mewtwo has at least two present in the world, as the one in Genesect and the Legend Awakened has a different, feminine voice to that of Mewtwo in The First Movie. Likewise, we see multiple Genesect in the same film and they used to live in huge numbers in the distant past, sans the roboticization. Deoxys is known to at least have two of its kind as seen in its film as well.

Even the anime has evidence of legendaries in multiples, as we see baby Lugia Silver and its mother in the episodes The Mystery is History, A Parent Trapped! and A Promise is a Promise. Feel free to tell me of any other examples I didn't mention here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Kream and buckembarnes
Well, if it comes to examples from movies, I think we do see multiple Shaymins in Giratina and the Sky Warrior, when it's shown that they're doing the Flower Bearing at near the end of the movie. And don't forget the two Mews that appeared in two movies: Mewtwo Strikes Back, and also Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
In the anime there's more than one of each legendary but in the games I think it varies. Mewtwo is a clone so there are most likely many Mewtwos. The Event where you can get Lv.1 Sinnoh Legends means there is probably at least 2 of them since their levels vary from the ones normally obtained in D/P/Pt. There are probably only one of each Mythical. But other than that there is only one of each of the legendaries because we can assume they have never been caught since you can progress in the game without catching them. My question is why in every game is the legendary readily available (besides the GCN and GBC games) because if they have so much power they shouldn't be able to be caught and just seen in the Pokedex and read in books.

Some legendaries are in legends that could mean they are several... For example, it might be wrong but Pokemon Silver version's Pokédex states about Entei that:
upload_2018-4-6_19-28-43.png
Which implies there are several Entei. Maybe it's just a urban legend.
That being said, there is another legend, which says Entei wasn't like that, but, like Suicune and Raikou, was a "normally weak" Pokémon which was trapped in a burning tower and Ho-oh resurrected them, giving them the power they have now. Which implies that Entei is unique.

Reggigigas's legend in gen 4 would say that the four golems would be unique.

Now, Heatran. We see this Pokémon in some volcanoes, I doubt one traveled, there are maybe several of them? and I think I remember NPCs know that Pokémon for a while.

And I think that even "unique" Pokémon are just unique in their universe. If they came across a wormhole, it could result in having two of them in the same universe?

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
There's also Brandon's Regirock from the anime episode Battling the Enemy Within!, which may or may not be the same Regirock seen in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. The Celebi in Zoroark: Master of Illusions is likely a seperate one from the one we see in Pokemon 4Ever, as neither of them know Ash upon first visit. Diancie's X and Omega Ruby Pokedex entries state that it's a sudden transformation of the Pokemon Carbink, meaning it's a mutation. Since Carbink are plentiful in numbers, many Diancie are possible.

Back