Baton Pass Banned From OU

• Thread starter Bobcam7!
  • Start date
Bobcam7!

Bobcam7!

*Consuming itself*
Towns Folk
Kinda weird to me honestly. They already had the baton pass clause but apparently it wasn't enough. I feel as if Baton Pass has way too many weaknesses to justify a total ban (Especially with Nilego running Clear Smog at times) but what do you think? Was its ban needed or no, it wasn't.

Hell to the FRIK NO!

Baton Pass; although easily countered by Haze, is just to good and FUN! Smogon needs to rethink this whole ban of Baton Pass

Also, Clear Smog, Topsy-Turvy, and even Psych Up can foil an opposing Baton Pass strategy

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances are my Pokemon on steroids after the baton pass will be able to "take out" any hazer that came my way, or do serious damage to it and then it's back to the drawing board to do it all over again.

I don't think baton pass should have been banned. I think using multiple stat boosting moves and abilities on a Pokemon with baton pass should have been disallowed. For example, Scolipede with sword dance, speed boost and baton pass.

Kinda weird to me honestly. They already had the baton pass clause but apparently it wasn't enough. I feel as if Baton Pass has way too many weaknesses to justify a total ban (Especially with Nilego running Clear Smog at times) but what do you think? Was its ban needed or no, it wasn't.
Hell to the FRIK NO!

Baton Pass; although easily countered by Haze, is just to good and FUN! Smogon needs to rethink this whole ban of Baton Pass

Also, Clear Smog, Topsy-Turvy, and even Psych Up can foil an opposing Baton Pass strategy

Baton Pass DOES NOT have many weaknesses, in fact, is extremely hard to counter
1.- Nihilego should never run Clear Smog, is a waste of a moveslot in a Pokémon that already struggles with coverage problems even when using 4 offensive moves.
2.- Clear Smog doesn't affect users behind a Sub, which EVERY Baton Pass Team runs
3.- There are no Pokémon that run Psych Up in singles, is a waste of move, and a good Baton Pass team can play around it easily
4.- Topsy-Turvy is avaliable in 2 fully evolved Pokémon, one of them is Malamar (An unviable Pokémon that actually loses to any Baton Pass team) and the other is Smeargle (Which also loses to Baton Pass, and running that move is a waste of space)
5.- The only, actual "Counter" to Baton Pass is Haze, which is only run in 3 viable Pokémon: Toxapex, Mantine and Tapu Fini (the latter almost never uses this move anyway) Two of them get trapped an killed by Dugtrio, and all of them are easily pressured by Necrozma, Magearna, Latias, Espeon and Xurkitree, all of which are run in BP team

It would be nice if people tried to inform themselves before argumenting against something the have no idea about...

I don't think baton pass should have been banned. I think using multiple stat boosting moves and abilities on a Pokemon with baton pass should have been disallowed. For example, Scolipede with sword dance, speed boost and baton pass.

That's actually interesting, and was brougth up to discussion at some moment.
The problem with that is the fact that the ruleset would become MUCH MORE complex (check UltiMario's comment http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/baton-pass-in-sm-ou.3604290/page-2)

I don't use Baton Pass very often, mostly when I try to sweep with some uncommon Pokémon like... I don't know... Plusle or Chimecho. It's a shame to lose the move though, with a Dry Pass you could grab some momentum with sets like Specs Sylveon (though BP was banned already in the tiers below OU). I know creating a clause that bans Baton Pass + any stat boost wasn't considered because only 2 Pokémon in OU use Dry Pass (Pyukumuku and Shedinja, the former of which only does when it's unable to pass Curse boosts), but maybe if they created it, the other tiers would follow suit and implement the clause as well.

Back