Big Question Regarding What System I Should Get...

• Thread starter King Of 3D
  • Start date
King Of 3D

King Of 3D

Pedia Mastermind
Towns Folk
OK, so I need help! I haven't been active on 3DSPedia aka NintenPedia for a little while. Why? Because my 3ds stopped working with all of this and that and I got a brick because I was using homerew to record my 3ds... Ok you guys get the idea ;)
But anyways, I am never going to try that again, haha :)

So I wanted to know what 3ds (in the 3ds family) I should get.
There is no way I am going to get the switch (for now) because I don't really care too much about the new games, just the games I played on the 3ds. Although I do love the switch, it is cool!

So I wanted to know, should I get a New 2DS XL (which I am leaning towards buying, but still not sure) or a 2DS, because I don't want to buy the 3ds again when I never used the 3d, plus it is cheaper price for the 2DS systems!

So what do you guys think I should get? Leave a reply on this thread if you know and like always have a great day :)

"New" 2ds XL, or "New" 3ds. I never used the 3d on my regular old 3ds, but I used it almost all the time with my "New" 3ds. The face tracking 3d really works. If you don't care about the 3d get the "New" 2ds for the faster processor, ability to play "New" 3ds exclusive games, built in amiibo and circle pad pro support. I got a "New" 3ds, and I absolutely love it.

2DS is a lot cheaper than the N2DS XL.

You can get a 2DS and a bonus game (MK7, Yo-Kai Watch, etc) for only $80 US - http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/nintendo-2ds-electric-blue-with-mario-kart-7/138244

The N2DS XL is priced at $150 US and you're not getting any bonus games with it.

On the plus side for the N2DS XL, you get that extra performance boost that's seen in the N3DS XL for games like Hyrule Warriors: Legends, Fire Emblem Fates and Pokemon Sun/Moon. Fire Emblem and Pokemon will run on the regular 2DS regardless.

In addition, I think it supports AMIIBO without having to buy an add-on for it.

So it's a matter of price or power.

Reactions: Mikaya and TribstyAnn
@Marc. That's what I meant to say, but you said it way better. :D :pompus:

Old 3ds: Don't get

Old 3ds xl: Consider getting. It's the one i own and it has decent battery and screen size.

Old 2ds: This is most likely the cheapest and comfiest of them all, however doesnt fold and has the same screen size and battery as old 3ds, all while being more sturdy. You cannot use the circle pad pro on this one.

New 3ds: Consider getting. While pricier, the games load faster, and it can play exclusive games, such as xenoblade 3d, upcoming fire emblem warriors and the snes virtual consone. You can also change the cover plates to personalise it a bit. It has the c-stick, meaning no need for the circle pad pro. Also has face-tracking 3d which tracks your face so you dont have to keep your 3ds in one position.

New 3ds xl: Does for the new 3ds what the original xl did for the old 3ds. While packing bigger screens and a bigger battery, there are no customisable face plates. It is however, the most expensive.

New 2ds xl: Cant say much on this one: It's cheaper than the new 3ds xl, looks cool, probably has similar battery and features to the xl.

Conclusion: If you want the full experience, but are worried about price, get the new 3ds
If you dont care about xenoblade and snes, get the old 3ds xl.
And if you want to go premium, get the new 2ds or 3ds xl
Cheapest option is 2ds, but sacrifices portability.

Forgot to add that the new 3ds and 2ds systems have a built in amiibo scanner, whereas with the old 3ds and 2ds, you need the NFC reader/writer. Still possible, but less conveniant and doesnt feel as magical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still possible, but less conveniant and doesnt feel as magical.
If you're not interested in MK7 or Yo-Kai Watch I'd say get the New 2DS or N3DS but if you are interested in Yo-Kai Watch or MK7 get the New 2DS. If you're not interested in using any Amiibos or if you don't want to buy an Amiibo then get any of the older systems because why would you buy a New system unless you want slightly faster loading times. In my opinion getting a system just for quicker loading times is understandable but unnecessary.

I would go with one of the 2DS models depending on your preference. The 3D isn't really required anyway.

The regular 2DS is much cheaper and by virtue of its design, will break less often. The less moving parts, the less likely to break. If you're not looking to upgrade and just want a cheap replacement so you can continue playing your games, the 2DS is the way to go.

However, since your original system is busted and the upcoming New 2DS XL is around the corner, I would definitely recommend the upgrade. You'll still get the classic clamshell design of prior 3DS/DS systems and everything the New 3DS XL system has sans the 3D itself. That includes Amiibo support, SNES virtual console titles, access to New 3DS exclusive games and a boost to some other 3DS titles that support New 3DS. At an extra $50 slapped over the 2DS price it would be the optimal system to get.

EDIT: I should mention that the New 2DS XL will likely use Micro SD cards for external memory. The regular 2DS uses regular SD cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikaya
I have seen New 3DSs' for very cheap online and Nintendo has recently announced the New 2ds xl for very cheap so I definitely recommend looking into that.
Though I feel bad for you fam. I also have Homebrew as well as CFW on my 3DS and my system bricking on me would kill me since I haven't even had my New 3DS for a year yet. ;.;

Back