Blast from the Past: Game & Watch

• Thread starter Starry Windy
  • Start date
Starry Windy

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Towns Folk
Did you know that Nintendo have success on gaming handhelds long before they created dedicated portable console like Gameboy series, DS and 3DS? Apparently, it started a long way when late Gunpei Yokoi saw a bored businessman in a train, who happens to play a LCD calculator by pressing the buttons. Then Yokoi have an eureka moment to make a watch that also doubles as a mini gaming machine. That's how Game & Watch was invented, and it sparks popularity worldwide.

Game & Watch came with many varieties depending on which type of games you wanted to play on, and it also give legacy on how handheld gaming should be, in which later on Ninty decided to release Gameboy in its place as the second handheld gaming device. But hey, Game & Watch still have some legacy in it, given that there were Game & Watch Gallery series, and did you know that Mr. Game & Watch from Super Smash Bros. are based from these machines?

Do you used to play or ever owned Game & Watch in the past, or are you still playing it at some point? How does it compare to recent portable systems, or do you play it for the sake of nostalgia? Discuss away!

Reactions: V_Weeb
cool

It's actually really cool, My dad had one but now the batteri is broken so we just display it now luckily the 3ds released some game and watch titles which i bought because it would be fun to see what my dad played, Surprisingly it was actually very fun :3

Yes I knew the Game & watch was real when I saw mr. Game & Watch and his stage in melee. Donkey kong Jr. Was a noteworthy G&W game.

Well, it was made 24 years before I was born, so I never saw someone playing one. It's actually really cool if I could find one. It looks like a great thing to collect :)

Back