Breath of the NES - A Zelda Fan Made Game

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
So there's going to be yet another Nintendo fan game. This one is inspired by the latest Zelda game, The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. It's called Breath of the NES :eek:

From what I've been reading, Nintendo mentioned a 2D prototype of Breath of the Wild at the Game Developers Conference 2017, however, we'll never get a chance to play it because Nintendo will not release it.

I'm not sure if the fan-made game will ever live up to the 2D prototype Nintendo had, but there is a trailer of Breath of the NES already. Unfortunately, it's still in development.

What do you guys think about the game so far?

Tbh, I prefer play A Link to the Past or Minish Cap. I don't think I'll ever play this one but I am interested in seeing more gameplay videos. You never know, it could change my mind e.e

Reactions: Mikaya
Looks really cool so far. I just hope Nintendo doesn't shut it down like every other fan project. I just wish Nintendo would realize that fan projects like this aren't made to steal or profit off of Nintendo's properties. Instead, it's a way for fans to show off there love and appreciation for Nintendo games, while also showcasing there unique abilities. In a way it's free advertising for Nintendo anyways, why should they be mad and have to shut them all down.

So there's going to be yet another Nintendo fan game. This one is inspired by the latest Zelda game, The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. It's called Breath of the NES :eek:

From what I've been reading, Nintendo mentioned a 2D prototype of Breath of the Wild at the Game Developers Conference 2017, however, we'll never get a chance to play it because Nintendo will not release it.

I'm not sure if the fan-made game will ever live up to the 2D prototype Nintendo had, but there is a trailer of Breath of the NES already. Unfortunately, it's still in development.

What do you guys think about the game so far?

Tbh, I prefer play A Link to the Past or Minish Cap. I don't think I'll ever play this one but I am interested in seeing more gameplay videos. You never know, it could change my mind e.e
Is it a full on de-make like oot 2d or is it it's own thing

It actually looks pretty cool but if Nintendo finds out they'll probably close the project down because of stupid reasons. I'll probably download it once it releases just so nintendo haven't taken it down when i want to test it out.

Bad. For a lot of reasons that are mostly the same one with a different focus.

"I'm making a NES game, because I like NES games, yay"
> Does it run on a NES?
"Nope, Windows only, why the question?"
> ...

"I'm making a 1990-looking game with pixeled sprites because I like 1990-looking games with pixeled sprites, yay"
> Why do your sprites have AA'd shadows? And why can your trees jiggle more precisely than 1 pixel at a time? And why are the tab-inventory sprites using "pixels" that are smaller than the overworld sprite's?
"Because it's 2017, I don't want to be restricted by pixels"
> ...

Etc. I mean, make a retro game or don't. It's useful to get restricted by a platform's limitations in order to get the game to run on that platform, but there is no point adding artificial restrictions just because.

there is no point adding artificial restrictions just because.
I have to disagree. Some of the most awesome pixel art games today are those that are made with specific restrictions in order to make it look "authentic" or to simply get that retro atmosphere, and they're great because of that, regardless of intended platform. Take Shovel Knight for example (now I can't swear that it's made with every restriction), a NES inspired game intended for multiple platforms.

That being said, I totally agree with you on the different sized pixels and the use of AA on otherwise simple sprites. Either follow the restrictions or don't.

I realize Shovel Knight isn't the best example, but it was the first that came to mind :p

I have to disagree. Some of the most awesome pixel art games today are those that are made with specific restrictions in order to make it look "authentic" or to simply get that retro atmosphere, and they're great because of that, regardless of intended platform. Take Shovel Knight for example (now I can't swear that it's made with every restriction), a NES inspired game intended for multiple platforms.

That being said, I totally agree with you on the different sized pixels and the use of AA on otherwise simple sprites. Either follow the restrictions or don't.

I realize Shovel Knight isn't the best example, but it was the first that came to mind :p
Indeed, Shovel Knight isn't the best example :p
From what I gather from your post, Shovel Knight is exactly the perfect example of why Breath of the NES is bad in comparison. SK follows restrictions for real while BotN doesn't, and SK is multi-platform while BotN isn't. So it doesn't help you disagreeing with what you quoted :p

However, I kind of agree that I was a bit harsh, in what you quoted. Indeed, some "pixeled" games that didn't really need to be "pixeled" look (and are) great, "even if" the limitations are not needed to make them run (the 3DS is perfectly capable to handle 3D models so Shovel Knight could have been 3D).
What I didn't like with BotN was that these limitations were partial only and didn't have any actual purpose. I'm wondering why they used simple sprites if it's neither for the retro feel (because AA and subpixels kill it) nor for running on low power platforms (Windows only). Just with either one of these reasons, I would not complain (and SK has both these reasons).

Looks really cool so far. I just hope Nintendo doesn't shut it down like every other fan project. I just wish Nintendo would realize that fan projects like this aren't made to steal or profit off of Nintendo's properties. Instead, it's a way for fans to show off there love and appreciation for Nintendo games, while also showcasing there unique abilities. In a way it's free advertising for Nintendo anyways, why should they be mad and have to shut them all down.

Nah, it'll most likely be shut down. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't honestly.

The game looks pretty cool though, I may give it a try if I can get my hands on it. Sure I don't exactly feel it should have NES in the title since it's for windows, but I think it might still be a pretty nice game.

Indeed, Shovel Knight isn't the best example :p
From what I gather from your post, Shovel Knight is exactly the perfect example of why Breath of the NES is bad in comparison. SK follows restrictions for real while BotN doesn't, and SK is multi-platform while BotN isn't. So it doesn't help you disagreeing with what you quoted :p

However, I kind of agree that I was a bit harsh, in what you quoted. Indeed, some "pixeled" games that didn't really need to be "pixeled" look (and are) great, "even if" the limitations are not needed to make them run (the 3DS is perfectly capable to handle 3D models so Shovel Knight could have been 3D).
What I didn't like with BotN was that these limitations were partial only and didn't have any actual purpose. I'm wondering why they used simple sprites if it's neither for the retro feel (because AA and subpixels kill it) nor for running on low power platforms (Windows only). Just with either one of these reasons, I would not complain (and SK has both these reasons).
Then we're on the same track, and in no way was I trying to defend BotN for failing to deliver, I just wanted to stick up for the games that do :D

To stay on topic, I think it's great to see people express their love for a game in such creative ways, but this is just killing a classic :(

Reactions: Hayleia
To stay on topic, I think it's great to see people express their love for a game in such creative ways, but this is just killing a classic :(

How is this killing a classic? If anything, it's helping the franchise.

It's bringing it to a more accessible platform so maybe people who don't have any Nintendo consoles can play it without needing them. Also bringing back older players since then there's more games to play, and a different kind of game too. It's a call back to the original games and I think it's really nice.

Reactions: TribstyAnn
I honestly loved, and still love the Original Zelda for the NES. I picked up a gold cartridge of it for 5 bucks at a local garage sale, and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though the save battery didn't work anymore. I don't see this as killing a classic, but as someone re inventing it, or creating something inspired by it. Who cares if he doesn't comply fully with your ridiculous self imposed restrictions. He's creating what he wants to. Just because something is done in a similar style to something else doesn't mean it has to copy everything exactly, including it's faults and limitations. I honestly don't see how it's doing anything wrong or disrespectful to the original.

How is this killing a classic? If anything, it's helping the franchise.
Absolutely, no arguing there. My comment was more about the butchering of the NES art style, the way some elements simply seem to be plastered over others with different resolutions. Imagine enhancing an 8x8 pixels icon and try to make it fit with vector art (extreme exaggeration). It just looks bad.

Obviously this is a highly subjective opinion as we all have different tastes and references, and I happen to be somewhat of a purist when it comes to pixel art. I meant no disrespect to anyone interested in this title nor the maker, I simply don't like the graphics.

Who cares if he doesn't comply fully with your ridiculous self imposed restrictions.
Well, obviously he didn't restrict himself, and the idea isn't mine but rather a way for graphic artists to focus their efforts by limiting the amount of material to work with. If you can't paint with 4 colours, 256 won't help. Plus, you don't get the jigsaw puzzle of cut, pasted and resized graphics mentioned above. Again, it just looks bad to me.

Bad. For a lot of reasons that are mostly the same one with a different focus.

"I'm making a NES game, because I like NES games, yay"
> Does it run on a NES?
"Nope, Windows only, why the question?"
> ...

"I'm making a 1990-looking game with pixeled sprites because I like 1990-looking games with pixeled sprites, yay"
> Why do your sprites have AA'd shadows? And why can your trees jiggle more precisely than 1 pixel at a time? And why are the tab-inventory sprites using "pixels" that are smaller than the overworld sprite's?
"Because it's 2017, I don't want to be restricted by pixels"
> ...

Etc. I mean, make a retro game or don't. It's useful to get restricted by a platform's limitations in order to get the game to run on that platform, but there is no point adding artificial restrictions just because.

This feels more faithful to the demo at the developer presentation than the actual NES zelda. Maybe that's the aim they were looking for. I'm not the graphic artist for this game but at least thanks to this we'll be able to hear chiptunes of a lot of the underrated themes in BotW

That looks like a nice project! I can't get BoTW for the life of me, so I would be content with playing a 2D fan version.

I think it's a really cool fan game! However, it will probably be shut down by Nintendo :( The fact that it's inspired by Nintendo's way to check the possibilities of the game, is amazing. It needs a lot of creativity, because almost nothing was shown there. I think it's great to see those Fan games, even if Nintendo will strike it soon.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! People need to learn to not show anything about their fan games to anyone until it is finished. If you release it fully then at least some people will be able to get it and spread it around more before it gets taken down. If you really want to make a fan game, you need to keep it secret till it's finished.

Reactions: Ethendor
Or just don't target Windows. I never got any DMCA for my Pokemon and Smash games for calculators. And the latter got quite some publicity at some point so it was not really that much of a secret :p

I think this looks pretty cool and neat, although I think it has gotten shutdown, but there will always be a infinite supply mirror of download links :)

Well, that certainly didn't last long, although it was an interesting concept. Too bad Nintendo didn't give it a chance. It actually looks decent, looking at that trailer. I'm not sure if it'll do well since they're gonna use non-Zelda characters next time. I guess they can implement LoZ aspects still which might work out. Unless Nintendo will rule that out also, again. xD

Back