Breath of the Wild Can the master sword break in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Probably a stupid question but I came across a message from a guy who was asking if the master sword was worth getting since weapons break fast in the game. I wouldn't really expect the master sword to "break" :panda:

So can the master sword break in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

It's a bit complicated: It doesn't break like regular weapons do per se, but it still has a certain amount of uses you can get out of it before it needs time to recharge, which takes 10 minutes. In the meantime it sits in your weapons inventory being unusable. It notably takes much longer to break when it's nearby sources of blight/Ganon or if it has been restored to its former glory.

Reactions: Marc
Basically when it "breaks" it will just be in your inventory and it will take 10 minutes until it full recharges which means it's able to be used again. So it doesn't permanently break like other weapons. :p

This may be a little off topic, but original when BoTW was being developed if the Master Sword would break, it would be sent back to Korok Forest (deep within is the location of the Master Sword). But this idea was cut because it would force gamers to go back to the same location every time it broke.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
This may be a little off topic, but original when BoTW was being developed if the Master Sword would break, it would be sent back to Korok Forest (deep within is the location of the Master Sword). But this idea was cut because it would force gamers to go back to the same location every time it broke.

If I'm not mistaken, that's actually still a feature for fail-safe purposes: if you somehow lose the Master Sword (which apparently could happen through glitching), it will give a message stating that it's gone back to its resting place in Korok Forest.

Reactions: Dark Link
If I'm not mistaken, that's actually still a feature for fail-safe purposes: if you somehow lose the Master Sword (which apparently could happen through glitching), it will give a message stating that it's gone back to its resting place in Korok Forest.
Actually yeah, that glitch is actually in the game. I should have explained that, but the thing is during development it was already coded in the game (also by hacking the game you can find the text that says the Master Sword has returned back to Korok Forest) but was taken out due to players would have to go back to Korok Forest like I explained.
This feature is more of Lost Content if you will.
Also yeah it's still possible for the Master Sword to return to Korok Forest through glitching like you said. Although I'm wondering if this glitch will be removed with a update since I believe it hasn't been dealt with yet.

Maybe the glitch will be removed in a later patch. It would've indeed been annoying going back to the Korok Forest every time your Master Sword breaks but it would've been too OP had they made it unbreakable like in every other installment, hence why they used the "run out of energy" excuse.

Even so, the Master Sword being sent back to Korok Forest reminds me of the Chris Houlihan room in LttP, in that they're both meant to deal with glitches that would otherwise break the game or put the player at a disadvantage. It's nice when developers have the foresight to put countermeasures in place even if they won't likely be seen by the majority of players.

Reactions: Dowhat? and Dark Link
That´s definitely a good question, I mean his argument is reasonable but I can tell whether it is right or wrong, since I have used the master sword just to fight Ganon, not powerless enemies. What I do know is that the Hylian shield can be broken just as any other shield. The only difference is that the former lasts quite longer than any other shield in the game.

No, the Master Sword does not break however it can run out of charge if you overuse it. When it does, you have to wait ten minutes in real time for it to recharge until you can use it again. Meanwhile, it sits in your inventory even though you can't use it. What makes the Master Sword unique compared to other weapons in the game is the fact that it doesn't break.

I know this is old, but the answer is yes and no. While it does break and has durability like all of the other weapons, it doesn't truly break. It has magic powers, so the master sword can fix itself back up when it's fragmented. Think of it as like, an invisible bar that slowly builds up overtime, and when it's finished, the master sword has finished fixing itself back up. Pretty cool if you ask me.

This is really old but the answer is yes the Master Sword can break but like the champion abilities it will regen. It's strength however you can increase by doing the trial of the sword and when you complete it your master Sword will do more damage it will glow and it will have more durability. Of course in order to do the Trial of the sword you need the expansion pass in order to do it.

Wow, this is a stupid question. Jkjk

No, the Master Sword can't break. Basically, it runs out of energy (the same way a weapon breaks), but it doesn't disappear from your inventory, it just has to recharge for about ten minutes, iirc

Back