S.T.E.A.M. Codename: S.T.E.A.M. Demo

• Thread starter 9070
  • Start date

Restricted User
Towns Folk
Has anyone had a chance to play the demo yet? It's on the eShop for everyone :singing:

I played a bit of it the other day. I think it's a pretty unique and interesting game though I'm not sure how well it'll do.

If you have played it, did it influence your decision to purchase the game?

Reactions: faustine
I played it yesterday and I think I was kinda dissapointed. I was planning on considering to buy code name steam when it came out but after I played the demo, I was dissapointed and not looking forward to code name steam as much. For one thing, the alien. moves are way too long. After my turn ended I expected the aliens turn would be quick and instead it turned out to be like a minute long even when there was only like 3 more aliens and it was boring because the camera viewpoint didn't change and I couldn't see where all the aliens were moving clearly. The overall mechanics were pretty fun though. I hope they fix the viewpoint and long alien moves in the full game

Reactions: Ashkil
Didn't play it but looked and read the plot and it didn't pique my interest plus I don't want any games or demos that I downloaded to be taking up space on my sd card.

I was really excited when they announced this game, but when i started watching gameplays and trailers I was like uh, well it could be an option. I downloaded the demo version of the game and I did give me some clue to finally decide if buying it or not, and to be honest I am not buying this game, I think it has really nice graphics but it has a story full of excitmnen. Not really something that interests me , specially because of the gameplay

I'll definitely give this a try. I have watched some videos related to this game, and it looks pretty fun to be honest. Since it's made by the developers of the Fire Emblem series, it's going to be good, I know that :p
The real-time strategy gameplay is what intrigues me the most, though.

The game had my interest beforehand, so I played and beat the demo yesterday, it was so much fun.

It's surprisingly long for a demo, but that's just all the better as you can get more of a feel for the game. The controls were smooth, the gameplay was very enjoyable, and the music was solid. Plus it was actually quite challenging at times, which really bodes well for the final game as a lot of games seem to lack an appropriate level of challenge nowadays.

Overall, the demo definitely sold me on the game, sucks I'll have to wait a few months but this is certainly a buy for me at this point.

I played it yesterday and I think I was kinda dissapointed. I was planning on considering to buy code name steam when it came out but after I played the demo, I was dissapointed and not looking forward to code name steam as much. For one thing, the alien. moves are way too long. After my turn ended I expected the aliens turn would be quick and instead it turned out to be like a minute long even when there was only like 3 more aliens and it was boring because the camera viewpoint didn't change and I couldn't see where all the aliens were moving clearly. The overall mechanics were pretty fun though. I hope they fix the viewpoint and long alien moves in the full game
Press the START button during their turn, it speeds it up.

The lack of a good viewpoint adds to the difficulty; the game wants you to find good vantage points so you can see where the aliens are going during their turns and while you typically can't see all of them all the time, it's still good to know where the aliens are generally situated.

Reactions: Knight Rain
I downloaded it this morning and didn't have the chance to play it yet. The opinions on it seem quite split, it makes me even more curious about it actually. The game seems really fresh and unique...

I downloaded the demo a few days ago and I think it's great! Before I was unsure of buying Code name Steam but then when I played it was very smooth. Not to mention the good gameplay, graphics and story. Just like @Nightsrain622 said it takes along time for the aliens to move, hopefully the start button will actually speed up the processes.

Just like @Nightsrain622 said it takes along time for the aliens to move, hopefully the start button will actually speed up the processes.
It should, I definitely noticed a difference in speed when I did this.

@Icemario I hope so! I hate waiting for those Aliens, they take forever!

I've downloaded the demo when it came out. The hype for this game was all over my dashboard and newsfeed from my fellow local gamers in my country. I haven't played the demo yet because I was busy with my academic engagements and still finishing The Legend of Zelda NES VC. I'll try to play it this weekend.

And from what I heard, people were kinda disappointed with the demo? I was so in awe when I heard "Code. Name. STEAM." when you highlight the cursor to the demo icon. And the cover of the demo is so cool. I guess I won't say it's bad until I play the demo.

I enjoyed the Demo, I also didn't lose a single mission ;) I think it'll be a fun game, and I can't wait for the full version.

I was actually surprised by the amount of missions, I figured it'd be 1 or 2 but I believe there where 3 or 4.

All in all it was fun :D

IMO, it's a good game and I'm hyped up for it - good difficulty, especially when I tried to pace it through. It's just that the whole enemy's turn thing is too long and I prefer a slightly faster pacing. I kinda think that this type of story would be so good with a faster FPS, mainly because I'm pretty sure there's a lack of FPS on 3DS and this game, with it's great visuals, controls (once you get more used to it, but add in more FPS elements to it) and story would be well suited to it.

Either way, it interested me and I've spent around 30 minutes on it (and played it once) so it's a 3DS game that can have me playing for slightly longer (even if I did take a small dinner break during it) which is exciting.

I played the demo yesterday, and I think it's awesome enough for a demo. The cutscene looks great. But yeah, the enemies turn is quite long, that I have mini heart attacks if they caught me hiding. I always blame their long turn on why I got caught. Haha. I lost on the 2nd mission (what a noob) and I stopped playing from there. Tho I might try it again and complete all missions available for the demo.

I've gone through the first two levels of the demo, and honestly I'm kind of disappointed. The levels were kind of boring, especially since it looks like there can only be four characters on your side at once. I think the biggest problem with it though is that the movement is restricted so much. When I can only move the character two grids and have one counterattack that starts to feel a little too restricting and maps take longer than they should. Enemy turns are also extremely slow and most of the time you cant even see the enemy moving. Perhaps I'm not playing it the way it's meant to, and I am just coming from valkyria chronicles which a was a brilliant game that took the same gameplay very well but all in all I'm more than a little disappointed.

Has anyone else played the demo yet? How do you feel about it?

Ok so I didn't really like the game especially when I saw the trailer video and to me I didn't really even play the demo because I had a feeling it would be very boring and a waste of my time . I am not hating on the game , it is just that feeling and now seeing your experiences , I might as well not even bother . I played other games that are like it but more fast-paced . By the way it is very very expensive like 40 dollars!?! I didn't really expect such large amount of a price of that game , but I look forward for any people who liked the game to share their experiences

This has been on the new nintendo's 3ds game benchmark and his a new announced game to be released on 3ds hope the full version will be as tasty as the majora's mask remake for the 3ds

Wow, I'm 10 months late lol anyway, I have played the demo but have yet to finish it. It is kinda interesting but its a kind of game that you have to use strategy. I personally like it and would buy it but others might not like it so much and I can see why

I played the demo a long time ago and I thought the game was ok but I'm not really a fan of a turn base strategy game that's also a shooter. I like fire emblem turn base strategy but code name steam doesn't feel as fun and as excited as I hoped it would be for a shooter

Back