College vs. High School ~ Differences

• Thread starter 3823
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
College vs. Highschool... :p

What would you guys say are the similarities and differences between college and highschool?

And which one do you prefer/like better/looking forward to?

Highschool
  • Homework
  • People watching you
  • Popularity contests
  • Horrible food
College:
  • Class is 4 days/week
  • Homework
  • You're there to learn
  • More mature people (thank god ;-; )
  • Dorming :eek:
I prefer college. (I'm in summerschool right now) Class is fun and everyone has some decency. It's really nice coming from the HS I came from :p

I still don't get what the difference between college and university (and pretty much everything else that has to do with US/UK school systems) is after so many years of meeting people from other countries on the netz :bag:

Please send help :dead:

Reactions: 3823
I still don't get what the difference between college and university (and pretty much everything else that has to do with US/UK school systems) is after so many years of meeting people from other countries on the netz :bag:

A university is a bunch of colleges under the same administration or whatever you wanna call it. This is why you'll see names like the "University of Texas College of Education".

Reactions: Moon Rain
I've got a feel for the college life lately. It's certainly a lot better when you don't live around parents 24/7 tbh.

There's no difference except college is a lot more work, and if you live in a dorm, you can't ever expect to be comfortable.

Reactions: Ashkil and Livada
Depends. If a kid takes Ap or IB classes (college level courses) in High School, the work adds up as much as a Freshman or Sophomore would get in college. If you were caught cheating in the IB program or in Ap classes, you would be kicked out, just like in College. The courses themselves (both IB and AP) will enable you to get college credit.

I bet College is much more better though. More freedom and Dorms are a huge plus in college. Grading is much more strict in College then it is in High School, but that is to be expected for older people.

High school: Teens
College: Teens who think they are now adults

._.

Reactions: 3dsatackman, Evelyn and Livada
High school: Teens
College: Teens who think they are now adults

._.

Yes but now they can drink alchohol, drive cars and own homes..

Yaaaaay.. ;-;

Colleges are often severely smaller and lack any sense of unity, as the point of college is to be in and out, and on to the next thing; also, high chance you won't make friends there. Don't find it odd to find yourself in a conversation questioning why and how anyone has friends there, because it's not uncommon.

University is the opposite of those things because it's a much longer procedure, and ppl force you to interact.

There's no difference except college is a lot more work, and if you live in a dorm, you can't ever expect to be comfortable.

Hear, hear. College is a lot more work and never ever comfortable. Terrible food, long hours (like 3 am is early to sleep and 9 is late to get up long hours), not the best dorms and a hell of a lot of drama literally 24/7.
But it's not all bad. College gives you a lot of freedom which you just can't get elsewhere. It's always a lot of fun. And spending so much time in close contact with your friends really builds (and sometimes breaks) bonds that last.

Of course this is my experience at a law college. I hear those arts college people have a chill life (Arts people don't kill me pls)

Reactions: 18
The only real difference I see between college and high school is a lot more work. I had more assignments to do in high school compared to in community college and university, but those few assignments in community college and university basically adds up to the high school work, if not more, to be honest.

I definitely prefer college over high school though. Even at the community college level, everyone's more mature and actually wants to be there (for the most part). I've felt more compelled to actually want to do work at community college and university than in high school. The older people in courses also provide great advice for life or just classes in general, which is pretty cool. I live at home with my parents, so I can't really speak to dorm life. Campus life is pretty cool though; there's a lot more opportunities to get involved and make friends. The freedom you have at the college level, whether you live on campus or at home, is definitely great. I personally have enjoyed taking all my classes in two days in most of my semesters; the only times I went four days a week was when I was at community college. My first semester, I split everything up over four days because it was my first semester. A year after that, I split everything up over four days again because I didn't want to take Russian and math in the same day. xD Other than that, I've enjoyed having my first classes at 11am (with the exception of my first semester where I had a 10am) and being able to leave at night. Definitely a lot nicer to be able to form my own schedule and take classes I'll enjoy at times that work for me rather than times that don't work for me and classes I don't really want to take.

Reactions: 18
High school: It won't be this easy in college
College: It won't be this easy in the real world

Reactions: Ashkil
The books at high school are available at little cost while the books at college cost a small fortune. We live at our parents house in high school but in college we live with friends. We are forced to learn all subjects in high school but in college we learn whatever we want. We study comfortably in high school at home before a test but in college the library becomes our home. High school attendance is mandatory but college attendance is strongly suggested. We have a full day of classes at high school but in college we plan our schedule likely.

Back