Do you care if your 3DS screens are TN or IPS?

• Thread starter Eric Cartman
  • Start date

TN or IPS?

• Total voters
Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman

BEWARE OF ADS
Towns Folk
If you are wondering was TN and IPS are they are both two different types of LCD screens on the 3DS. When some people buy a 3DS sometimes they desire the type of LCD the 3ds uses to be a certain type. Many 3DS owners desire the IPS type because of the wider viewing angles and the better color reproduction than TN LCDs. I don't see screen types a big deal on my 3DS though I can see some flaws with my TN LCD. While playing wario ware touch sometimes shades of colors would slightly change in shade which can kinda throw me off.

Article on TN and IPS differences: http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/faqs/pc-life-faqs/what-is-ips/

I think I have a IPS, I don't pay much attention to the screen, I am more of a "Don't care how bad the screen is as long as I can play well" type of guy. lol

Reactions: Eric Cartman and Mikaya
When it comes to the size of the 3ds screen, it hardly matters whether you have ips or tn. IPS has slightly richer colors, but personally, I didn't even notice it until yesterday when I was helping my sister with a system transfer from her broken ds to my working launch day 3ds.

I don't mind per se, but it is kinda stupid that Nintendo's been doing this. It's cheap, despite their clear interest in keeping the 3DS family alive. Course this means they have to keep up production, but is Nintendo really losing any profits since they're popping out a "new" DS every couple of years? I am not a statistics kind of person so I wouldn't know.

I don't mind per se, but it is kinda stupid that Nintendo's been doing this. It's cheap, despite their clear interest in keeping the 3DS family alive. Course this means they have to keep up production, but is Nintendo really losing any profits since they're popping out a "new" DS every couple of years? I am not a statistics kind of person so I wouldn't know.
Agreed though Nintendo being cheap is not really surprising to me any more ever since many of Nintendo's certain hardware parts tend to be cheap. (Which doesn't make it all that bad by the way).

Agreed though Nintendo being cheap is not really surprising to me any more ever since many of Nintendo's certain hardware parts tend to be cheap. (Which doesn't make it all that bad by the way).
True, but this is a little different. This applies to one system but different versions of it, so not everyone is getting the same experience. Picky? Maybe I guess. But I don't think Nintendo has done anything like this before. It just seems a little silly to put all the effort into producing two kinds of screens to save money. From a consumer standpoint, that is.

True, but this is a little different. This applies to one system but different versions of it, so not everyone is getting the same experience. Picky? Maybe I guess. But I don't think Nintendo has done anything like this before. It just seems a little silly to put all the effort into producing two kinds of screens to save money. From a consumer standpoint, that is.
True, and basically Nintendo is practically cheaping some people out when both of the same people get the 3DS at the same price and yet one has a better lcd than the other. I just find that not as fair.

Exactly. I don't think they've ever done this before, which is probably not a good sign. We'll see if they hold this kind of thing up with the New 2DS I assume.

Is this even a question? Ips is superior.

Is this even a question? Ips is superior.
It's more of a discussion of how silly the screen difference's existence is at this point, than a question. :p

Reactions: TheSpiritedWarrior
It really hasn't mattered much to me since it doesn't effect my game play that much. All I look at is if the system works , isn't buggy and all programs and games play decent on the system. I guess for some it's a really big deal but for me it never bothered me to much. I still enjoy playing on my 3ds regardless . Personally I really never thought about if it mattered that much or not .

Back