Do you find limits on compatible SD card storage ridiculous?

• Thread starter Eric Cartman
  • Start date

Should Nintendo should even have SD card compatibilty with their systems?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman

BEWARE OF ADS
Towns Folk
Months ago when I was trying to put CFW on my New 3DS I bought a 64 gb because the storage on my 4 gb sd card was abysmal. I transferred the stuff from my 4gb sd card to my 64 gb sd card. The transfer went smoothly and I inserted the 64gb sd card to my New 3ds. When I inserted it I got a weird error message saying this storage device cannot be used on this system. I was like wtf. I did some research and I came across the Nintendo support site and I was instantly upset. The site stated that the 3DS can ONLY have 2gb to 32 gb. Me just barely opening and using this 64 gb sd card, which wasn't cheap BTW, I became very furious of why doesn't address this on a physical manual or a video online or SOMETHING. Though that being in the past and already solving that problem by using specific software to format the 64 gb sd card to fat 32 (The 3DS compatible file system) which I find extremely useful. But though to Nintendo to address that at the last minute is absolutely aggravating especially that you can't file a store return on a SD card.

Have you ever came across this problem? How did you compensate? Do you find this completely ridiculous?

3DS SD card compatibility site:http://en-americas-support.nintendo...n-tested-to-work-with-the-new-nintendo-3ds-xl

How to make 64 GB and more work on the 3DS (Warning Foul language!!):

Well, there is no limit actually. I'm running a 128GB micro SD card in my New 3DS XL (because I could live with 32GB on an Old 3DS (XL), but not on a New 3DS (XL) where the micro SD card is behind two screws...).
The reason why Nintendo said that is because cards above 32GB usually aren't formatted with FAT32, and Nintendo only supports that. But nothing actually prevents you from formatting a 128GB card with FAT32.

And I didn't understand what your poll was asking.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
The poll asks if Nintendo should even have like a limit of how much or how little storage we can on a 3DS. Like 2gb to 32 gb ect

I don't quite see how this is Nintendo's fault. Isn't it on you to research this stuff beforehand so you can be sure whether your purchasing choice is in vain or not? Yes, in the end you got lucky and can use it anyway, but that's still poor practice.

As for Nintendo not mentioning the technically bigger card sizes it can take, for all intents and purposes 32GB SDHC cards are the biggest official sizes that the 3DS can support. It's not that far in comparison to putting a SNES game into a NES; the card slot simply wasn't designed to run SDXC cards, probably to keep the price of the 3DS cheap.

Yes, you can format an SDXC card to get that extra space, but Nintendo's not obligated to tell you that. This is because an SDXC card isn't officially designed to be backwards compatible with older readers. Just because it can, doesn't mean it should. There "could" be potential problems down the line and it may end up damaging the system.

To summarize; Nintendo doesn't tell you about it because there's a possibility they would be held responsible for any damages to the system. Best to play it safe than sorry.

Reactions: Hayleia
Back