Do you listen to midis or do you have a tendency to convert some mp3 files into midis?

• Thread starter Eric Cartman
  • Start date
Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman

BEWARE OF ADS
Towns Folk
If you don't know what a midi is it's a simplified kind of instrumental version of a song and can be electronical based sound font or a piano. It's easier to explain while listening to actual midi.

There have also been sites that can convert mp3s into actual midi files. Though the end product is not really that good , but it's pretty find to try it out and actually listen to it when it's done.
Source:http://www.ofoct.com/audio-converter/convert-wav-or-mp3-ogg-aac-wma-to-midi.html
Do you like to listen to midis? Do you like to convert mp3s to midis?

No, I don't listen to garbage. :/

No, I don't listen to garbage. :/
Lol, I was wondering how to put it. Glad you said it before I had to :p

But it's not even exactly my feeling. I mean, I listen to some chiptune, and these could be made as MIDI without losing accuracy. Except it wouldn't make any sense to convert an mp3 to MIDI just because, and then be listening to the same thing?
And for almost any other music, converting to MIDI loses accuracy. So why would I listen to a worse version of something I like?

I usually listen to mp3 format songs, Although I have heard of Midi. I guess it's the least popular option. Mp3 are pretty good quality (sound-wise) and more stable. I think it's better to stick with those types of music, Rather than going through the trouble to even convert in the first place. I suppose it's just an option that is available. xD

I usually listen to mp3 format songs, Although I have heard of Midi. I guess it's the least popular option. Mp3 are pretty good quality (sound-wise) and more stable. I think it's better to stick with those types of music, Rather than going through the trouble to even convert in the first place. I suppose it's just an option that is available. xD
I don't think you understand what MIDI is. It's not like mp3/ogg/wav/flac/etc, which are all a different compression method for the same output (roughly, obviously losses are to be expected), which is an analogic wave (obviously digitalized first).

MIDI does not fall in this category at all. It doesn't contain the output (compressed or not) at all, it describes what instruments are supposed to play. Which means that if you play a MIDI file in different software, the output won't necessarily be the same (they don't necessarily have the same electric guitar for example).

So converting mp3 to ogg is possible (uncompress mp3 to wav(e) then compress wav(e) to ogg basically), except it makes 0 sense if you can already read mp3 files since once again, you'll get the same output, just with a different compression method. But converting mp3/ogg/wav/flac/etc to MIDI is a whole other story and you're guaranteed to get a different output than that of your mp3 file.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying MIDI is worthless. It just does not have the same goal as mp3 and friends. It's great at what it's supposed to be great at, but converting mp3 to MIDI is not a thing people are supposed to do.

This takes me back when I used good 'ol Nokia phones years ago. That time I spend some of my time using my phone to listen to MIDI polyphony ringtones because it sounds pretty good in its time. As for now though, I rarely listen to MIDI after MP3 become more common these days.

I guess I do still listen to MIDI's since the programs I use for my musical keyboard on my PC uses MIDIs. Synthesia is a good example for that since that takes MIDIs and converts them to a visual style ontop of a keyboard layout so it tells you exactly what keys are pressed and things like that. Also creates sheet music and the likes so it's very useful if all you have is the piece itself.

Back