Do you think the Nintendo Switch can be a home for fighting games?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
In an interview with Redbull, BlazBlue creator Toshimichi Mori mentioned that the Nintendo Switch could be a home for fighting games. You can read his full response below :
BlazBlue creator Toshimichi Mori said:
As far as announcements go, I unfortunately can’t say much today, but what I will say is that with the introduction of fun competitive games like Arms, I do believe fighting games can definitely find a home on the Switch.
With the joy-con (and the other controllers the Switch has, if you want to pay an extra pretty penny for it), do you think it's a great console for fighting games such as Tekken, Street Fighter, and that new BlazBlue crossover fighting game with Persona 4 characters I've been hearing so much about recently?
nintendo-switch-joycon_feature.jpg

Or do you think there are better consoles more suited for fighting games?

In an interview with Redbull, BlazBlue creator Toshimichi Mori mentioned that the Nintendo Switch could be a home for fighting games. You can read his full response below :

With the joy-con (and the other controllers the Switch has, if you want to pay an extra pretty penny for it), do you think it's a great console for fighting games such as Tekken, Street Fighter, and that new BlazBlue crossover fighting game with Persona 4 characters I've been hearing so much about recently?

I don't see why not. It's no worse than the Xbone or PS4, controller wise. It's certainly better than the PC, anyhow.

That being said, I can't imagine the JoyCons being good controllers for it, since they're so small, so you'd probably have to buy a better one.

While the controllers could pose a problem, with their small size, the console itself seems perfect for multiplayer fighting games. These are the types of games you can quickly pull out and play with friends during a lunch break, as the matches are relatively short, the games are intense, and most fighting games can be fun at all skill levels. While competitive play may require the pro controller, for simple casual play, the joycons are effective. And because there's options, this can give even pros the chance to find a setting more ideal for them. We already see a divide in control style for ARMS in the competitive community, with there being a split in motion and pro. Having a classic option in the pro controller and a new option in the joycons can help make fighting games more accessible to different types of players.

Reactions: Mikaya
There's a Blazblue Persona crossover now? (What is it about Persona that has people's attention that they gotta butt in on Blazblue's turf?)

Definitely. As long as the Switch succeeds in the market and 3rd parties develop for it, it could be a home for every genre. The only problem other than that for 3rd parties is that the Switch is under powered, so it may be a problem.

Yea it should because if you were to go to the park and if they were a lot of people talking I think that they would not let you concentrate while you are battling a friend or sibling also what if someone from out of nowhere grabs it and steals it if you were at the park chilling that's what I think and I highly suggest that you play it at home because it also wouldn't be normal to play it at s park I bet people would just be starring at you if you were to play in a park with or friend family member or someone else I would really fight at homes like games like ARMS and the future SB4 when it gets released sometime during next year hopefully you guys agree with me or something.

With my main goal of playing quite a slew of Switch fighting games and the amount of support the Switch has for varying controllers I'd say yes. I can name the ones I own/plan on getting here:
Smash
BBTAG
Lethal League Blaze
Rivals of Aether (with Definitive Edition/update)
Pokken Tournament DX
Joy Mech Fight (on Famicom but just case and point)

That's more than enough to occupy anyone much more so learn them and play competitively although if you only played one or two from the list that's relatable. Especially playing at a high level.

Last edited:
The Switch would be a great place for fighting games! I always play with my dad on games like Street Fighter and Samurai Showdown, and the best part is is that it’s portable! (Also, does anyone think that adding crossplay to fighting games would be a great idea? Cuz some games like the new Samurai Showdown, take forever to get a match, if ur not in the right country or console. With crossplay, there’d be way more players, thus quicker match finding time)

The fact that you can instantly play multiplayer games on the go, or play with a pro controller traditionally on a screen makes the switch the perfect candidate for multiplayer games, which include fighting games! Games like Smash, ARMS, and Street Fighter are already on the switch, so I don't see any reason for other fighting games not to be on the switch. There is one problem though, the online service. The online service is incredibly slow, and makes online play seem like a chore. So if they fix the online, there is nothing stopping fighting games flourish on the switch.

I do see the switch being a good home to many fighting games. It's already the home to one of the best fighting games of all time, super smash bros of course!! ^w^. Other than smash though the switch has potential to a good home to many fighting games as well as many multiplayer games. Arms is a really good fighting game that isn't controlled traditionally like many fighting games are. I can see the switch being used for traditional as well non traditional fighting games to, especially indie fighting games like street fighter and mortal kombat.

the nintendo switch has a lot of potential to be a go to device for fighting games.
sure it has technical issues with joy con and lack luster wifi battle net code for fighting games but with future changes it is going to be a lovely “but not likely the best” system for fighting games.
at this time it is just a decent system for. playing fighting games.
ps4/ps5 currently appears to be more desirable and optomized for fighting games at this time.

Well, there's Smash Bros Ultimate, but that's more of a party game.

I'm a little unsure about this. When it comes to fast-paced fighting games, you need a high frame rate and good controllers to really make it work, which has never really been Nintendo's focus. These kinds of problems would never manifest outside of competitive games where it's important to have the same or better equipment than your opponent.

Specs are important when it comes to these kinds of games. A player with a 30FPS framerate would be at a disadvantage to the player with a 60FPS framerate, when it comes down to the hardcore scene. The former wouldn't be as likely to fare well competitively as more intense battles would require better framerates.

Controllers, too, would be of note. But these aren't as important as it's not part of the system itself. All consoles have good controllers and all have shoddy controllers, so it's not as important, although access to these more high-end controllers will be necessary down the line on the path to mastery. I don't believe Switch is notable for its controller quality, third party or otherwise, so there may be some error here. I'm not entirely certain in this department.

However, for casual players, fighting games are entirely possible on the Switch, if you're only looking for a casual fight with your friend. It's only competitively that specs and controllers will become more important, perhaps even required, to accurately be able to play against other professional players.

Well, there's Smash Bros Ultimate, but that's more of a party game.

I'm a little unsure about this. When it comes to fast-paced fighting games, you need a high frame rate and good controllers to really make it work, which has never really been Nintendo's focus. These kinds of problems would never manifest outside of competitive games where it's important to have the same or better equipment than your opponent.

Specs are important when it comes to these kinds of games. A player with a 30FPS framerate would be at a disadvantage to the player with a 60FPS framerate, when it comes down to the hardcore scene. The former wouldn't be as likely to fare well competitively as more intense battles would require better framerates.

Controllers, too, would be of note. But these aren't as important as it's not part of the system itself. All consoles have good controllers and all have shoddy controllers, so it's not as important, although access to these more high-end controllers will be necessary down the line on the path to mastery. I don't believe Switch is notable for its controller quality, third party or otherwise, so there may be some error here. I'm not entirely certain in this department.

However, for casual players, fighting games are entirely possible on the Switch, if you're only looking for a casual fight with your friend. It's only competitively that specs and controllers will become more important, perhaps even required, to accurately be able to play against other professional players.
You don't need just a good framerate, you need CRT's, Gamecube controllers or ways to get that layout, or some other third party controller for 3-4 button fighters. There is input lag no matter the controller and it's even for both players unless someone swapped their character in that case you have more to worry about than that adding more complexity to the fighting game theory. All consoles are potentially fighting game consoles. It's up to the compatibility of the games being played. Also keep in mind there is no layout for one player to have a FPS advantage over the other. It's either docked both looking at the same screen, or undocked, both looking at a different screen with the same specs. If there's crossplay, then that's the games fault, not the player unless you have bad wifi and the opponent gets more movements than you per time period but it's still the game's fault.

There's a few fighting games on switch. SNK tag heroines, pokken, and MK11. I think they work well enough but just not as good as other consoles. It's perfectly fine but just like every console, it has it's problems

Back