Do you think there should be darker Kirby games?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I'm not really sure if this would work well for a Kirby game.

They're easy and normally kid friendly despite some dark parts (like when the mirror boss destroyed the boss that summoned him in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe). What if there was a much darker Kirby game like how SMT is compared to Pokemon?

Do you think it'll work well or do you think Kirby games should stay as is?

The older games involving Dark Matter had some darker shades, as does Planet Robobot with the cybernetics and villains. While it's still not that dark by Nintendo standards, it's fairly dark for a childrens' game series (not to mention the final bosses in some of those games).

As much as I love darker narratives, I think the Kirby games should remain relatively child-friendly. While there are fans who would love to see a more mature and serious title, many fans love the games specificially because they are lighthearted and child-friendly. Colourful and cheery franchises attempting more grown-up and dark titles does not always end well, and Kirby games have been fantastic from the very beginning until now, so I don't think they need to experiment with anything too different from what they have been doing. The dream of a darker Kirby RPG lives on, however.

Reactions: Marc
I think it should stay as-is. I mean, for a kid, a story about the sun and moon fighting, and then this comet comes to destroy them? That's pretty intense. Also, the Crystal Shards story is adorable. :3 Fun gameplay should be the priority in the Kirby series, I think. Not storyline (although a storyline, like the Meta Knight arc in Superstar Ultra, is much appreciated~).

He's a puff-ball that inhales foes to gain their powers. That, in and of itself, sounds kind of dark already, don't you think? XD
I think what Kirby has done so far works pretty well, generally speaking~

Kirby is already dark. It's just up to you're perspective on things. I would like to see a dark Kirby game or maybe even a spin-off with some gore involved (Zero 2 is just the tip of the iceberg) just to see how it would settle with fans. Just make sure the game is bright enough you can see what you are doing. I think a more in depth story is more needed than a darker perspective but that's just me. There is a lot of potential like is Galacta Knight really a Kirby from the future and is King Dedede stealing food from Dreamland because he wants everyone to starve to death or he just wants to fill the emptiness inside of him.

I don't really think there should be a Darker Kirby game, as young children might find that too spooky for them. Although there could be a darker game, it wouldn't be able to be too dark, so young people aren't spooked by it, but its still a reasonable amount of dark atmosphere to satisfy the older players. Or they can just have the option for a darker story as dlc or under a setting.

I think that it is good to have some known concepts regarding game franchises, while sometimes it is good to have a twist on certain aspects, it does not always work well. In what respects to this franchise, I think that the kid friendly tone that is sometimes thought about it is just fine, they deliver a great game experience that is really good to experience, specially with latest kirby titles.

Some of the Kirby games already contain nightmare fuel, I don’t think a dark Kirby would work well

Kirby games make me soo happy. Cute visuals, and amazing music.
I dunno if i can feel happy in a darker kirby game..
I guess technically planet robobot is a apocalyptic alien invasion, so kirby does get dark, but kirby doesn’t dwell on the bad side of things.
Kirby just wants food. He really is carefree.

No. Never. Ever.

Kirby is meant to be a happy bright game with no darkness.

Back