Does anyone aspire to become a theoretical physicist?

• Thread starter Mykaelochi
  • Start date
M

Mykaelochi

Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
I am asking this question today because not only am I interested in the theoretical side of physics but I'd also like to converse with someone who has a similar interest. I've noticed not many people that I've seen want to be a physicist, but nevertheless I am persistent and enthusiastic about pursuing high energy theory. Anyway, thanks for reading, and be sure to comment if you'd like!

My only experience with physics at all was this past year, and although I liked the class, I don't think my mind could comprehend anything more than simple mechanics.

My only experience with physics at all was this past year, and although I liked the class, I don't think my mind could comprehend anything more than simple mechanics.
So I suppose it's the mathematical difficulty that has in for you, so to speak. I suggest using Khan Academy; it's quite helpful.

So I suppose it's the mathematical difficulty that has in for you, so to speak. I suggest using Khan Academy; it's quite helpful.
hey dude i want to be a theoretical physicist too but my mom says i have to fix my ugly handwriting and pay more attention.

Reactions: Mykaelochi
hey dude i want to be a theoretical physicist too but my mom says i have to fix my ugly handwriting and pay more attention.
May I ask what is it that your mother wants you to pay attention to?

May I ask what is it that your mother wants you to pay attention to?
well in class i just start thinking of other things and my teacher tells my mom.

well in class i just start thinking of other things and my teacher tells my mom.
I feel the need to ask, how does your school teach mathematics? For example, is it like lecture, practice, homework, lecture, practice, homework, etc.?

I feel the need to ask, how does your school teach mathematics? For example, is it like lecture, practice, homework, lecture, practice, homework, etc.?
no its just my math class nothing special.

I mean do you think it is engaging?

I mean do you think it is engaging?
yes whatever im moving on now.

yes whatever im moving on now.
Come again? What do you mean you're moving on?

My dad's an astrophysicist so I sort of dismissed it looking at what he did and decided to pivot in the opposite direction of law.
On your point of Khan Academy though, I think while it's a great way to explain things, it doesn't quite set up concepts well. It does better at explaining them than introducing them. I think better is to slowly go over a textbook at one's own pace and then look into these. That way you get your fundamentals down, which is what you need for physics especially.

My dad's an astrophysicist so I sort of dismissed it looking at what he did and decided to pivot in the opposite direction of law.
On your point of Khan Academy though, I think while it's a great way to explain things, it doesn't quite set up concepts well. It does better at explaining them than introducing them. I think better is to slowly go over a textbook at one's own pace and then look into these. That way you get your fundamentals down, which is what you need for physics especially.
I sort of agree with you. I think that Khan Academy is very strong in mathematics but is a bit weaker in physics and biology, as there's not a whole lot of practice problems like in the mathematics section.

I cannot say I do, however, I watch The Big Bang Theory, and Sheldon is a theoretical physicist, and it requires a lot of math.

I cannot say I do, however, I watch The Big Bang Theory, and Sheldon is a theoretical physicist, and it requires a lot of math.
Yeah and realistically it will probably take me some number of years to fully master the material.

Reactions: 24460

No offence but there's a mile of difference between Big Bang Theory and a real physicist, like with Suits or Boston Legal and real lawyers. Both classes of shows bother me with their stereotypes - big bang theory through it's scientists are nerds and suits with its lawyers and classy crooks

Reactions: Mykaelochi and 24460
No offence but there's a mile of difference between Big Bang Theory and a real physicist, like with Suits or Boston Legal and real lawyers. Both classes of shows bother me with their stereotypes - big bang theory through it's scientists are nerds and suits with its lawyers and classy crooks
Of course. As I mentioned it takes time to understand concepts in the sciences and more importantly use that knowledge to ask new questions and investigate. Also, Sheldon Cooper's favorite physicist should be Edward Witten (who is a theoretical and mathematical physicist who suggested the idea of M-theory) rather than Stephen Hawking.

Stephen Hawking is famous. 'Nuff said

But I do like Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. And the black hole information paradox.

Back