does anyone get tired?

• Thread starter KitKat
  • Start date
KitKat

KitKat

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
I am kinda old school gamer that loved his Gamecube and got to play games without stressing out that a new console hit like a year later after buying a gamecube. Technlogy is developing extremely fast and it is hard to keep up with the updates. I was so upset that I got a Dsi XL for Christmas and 5 months later the 3DS came out. The worse part is that you cannot play old games on the newer systems. I sometimes don't really play games anymore because you will never be up to date or enjoy the games because you have to spend $200+ for a new console and $40+ for new games all over again. The Gamecube years were amazing did tehy develop games for like 6 or 7 years before the wii realsed? 8 years the Wii, WiiU, Nintendo Switch have been released comapred to Gamecube.

Reactions: J9794 and 18
I didn't buy any of the new consoles, although if I had to it'd be a PS4. My heart has remained in the 2000s, and the early 2010s for handhelds. Up to that time period, I've played almost all the major games, and even if I haven't then I at least know what they're about.

I don't play too many new games, unless they are from series I already know of and enjoy. There's been a serious dearth of single-player games that don't require DLC or online discussions to experience them fully, whereas with my PS2 games, I learned all there was to know about them simply by playing them. I feel like if I'm not 'in the know' about the online aspects of new games, then I'm missing out so I don't play them altogether.

Even with single-player games, either my laptop can't run them or I get turned off by aspects that feel like 'trying too hard.' If a game tries to pass off its ugly/lazy aspects as 'retro nostalgia,'chances are I will never try it.

I also make the mistake of reading reviews before planning to play a game, and most reviewers are snobs (not me, I was a great reviewer - I regularly feel that my reviews were better than the self-righteous, political, better-than-you garbage most reviewers spit out) who nitpick and make good games sound like they're not worth playing, unless they're AAA titles by big publishers which are guaranteed to get good scores no matter how hard they suck.

So yeah, newer games require you to invest a lot more time, and since my main interest has shifted from video games to music, I don't play that many new games. Not that I'm unwilling to try them though. If you know a game I'd like, tell me. I wanna try Lucius.

Sure it's happened, it's true for me in my cases of PS and XBox. (Didn't agree with internet play behind a pay wall.) Nintendo's the only game that's ever truly remained on top on my games to resume playing. Their internet pay wall seems more reasonable than Sony or Microsoft's. (15$ yearly, vs 50 or 60 monthly. You decide.)

I sometimes don't really play games anymore because you will never be up to date or enjoy the games because you have to spend $200+ for a new console and $40+ for new games all over again.
The only time I have this problem is with smartphones and their operating systems. Like for example, when the company chooses to stop pushing updates for some of their smartphones. I never did have that problem with gaming devices because there's a much longer gap between the time of each new console release.

But for me, occasionally I lose interest in gaming and at a later date it picks back up.

because you have to spend $200+ for a new console and $40+ for new games all over again.

Don't even get me started on that. I am all for technology and games continuing to evolve, but I wish that simple support for our old games were a priority.

This has got to be a sh*tpost right? New consoles come out every 5ish years. If you buy a dsi 4 years after it comes out, you can't complain when a new console comes out the next year. If you buy a discounted console it's discounted for one of two reasons:
  • A new version is coming
  • It's not selling well
New games are expensive ($40-$60) because games are expensive to make, and the companies need to make money (it is a business after all).

Old games will never be a priority because you can't make any money off of old games (with the exception of reselling them/remaking them/virtual console). You Can make money off old live-service video games, but that's a different debate (Are live services ok? Are they video games at all?). Anyways Nintendo does not usually make live services.

That's why you stay up to date on the latest gaming news or else you stay in the dust. If you know a system is getting older and there's less games being made for it or it's going for a cheaper price then you wait for the new system to come out. Also look ahead at the game releases. I got a Switch because Smash Ultimate came out (and also I never got a Wii U but that's besides the point). But if you do buy old look for those late life cycle games or the games that might go up in value like Melee or old hardware you think no on has heard about and you can make more on those.

Back