Does Playing affect your studies?

• Thread starter MMMs
  • Start date
MMMs

MMMs

After 2 years, I'm Back!
Towns Folk
OK guys, this is an old question that's been around for ages and yet it has a lot of different answers from different people. Just for the sake of asking y'all, does playing or using your gadgets for entertainment affect your studies? It's either a positive or negative effect folks lol

Only on the weekdays if I happen to have tons of tests. Then again, certain video games do improve concentration skills.

Ever since seventh grade, playing has ruined my studies. On weekdays, I usually lose 1-3 hours a day wasting time on games and surfing the net. I also daydream about games and entertainment, pretty sure that hurts my studies. My grades are fine though, since I'm good at cramming and bs'ing. Just recently, I scored C's on my World history, English, and Chemistry finals and still have A/B/A. I was definitely fooling around with games too much.

Apparently video games never really did affect my grades or studies much. However, perhaps it's just that I don't play video games so much that I forget the things that I have to do. Sometimes, I just refuse to play around with my electronic devices until I manage to finish everything.

Much differs on the person though naturally :p

If I've recently gotten a new game, I find it really hard to tear away from it to study. Usually, that's fine, but a problem arises when I need to study for tests and I've gotten a game just before they've started. It really does affect my studies in that case, where I can waste away 3-4 hours of precious study time by just playing on my 3DS at my desk.

Reactions: 423
I've found that... reading books hinders my studies. It sounds a little funny but I used to read so much that I would filter out my classes... so I started doing other things instead. Writing & gaming fall under those categories of 'things I can do that don't hinder my education'!
I'm not too sure about games in particular... I've never been the type to have to study (I'm close to graduating college with an AA associates for perspective) because I just sponge everything in-class, but I do become really dedicated to studying if I have to clear up something. If anything, games probably help clear my stress & help me out... especially because getting to/from college takes one & a half hours each way on the bus. Having a handheld around while I need to study on the bus has never really made me game in exchange for studying, but having a book has.

Reactions: Silver
If I've recently gotten a new game, I find it really hard to tear away from it to study. Usually, that's fine, but a problem arises when I need to study for tests and I've gotten a game just before they've started. It really does affect my studies in that case, where I can waste away 3-4 hours of precious study time by just playing on my 3DS at my desk.
So true. I remember when I got Super Mario Maker, I always played it for a little bit when I got home from school, then went to do hw. I needz more self-control lol.

It's never affected my studies because even if I wasn't playing, I'd be doing something that isn't studying :hilarious:

Unless it is a seriously addicting game that does not let me save until after a long time or I am stuck on a level for hours and I get super pineapple'd off, I never get affected. I tend to do my homework first, even if it takes a few hours, than play video games. For instance, like a game like splatoon, I would play a few rounds (More like 10) and then stop.

The only time video games have truly affected me was when there was a test I had to study for and I played video games instead.

I don't play games as often as I used to. And I guess that's a good thing, because I have As in all my classes as well as being in the top classes for each subject. But when I do go on a gaming binge, it doesn't seem to affect me academically. I never really go on gaming binges when there's a lot school-wise going on, so I really can just relax and play Zelda for 9 hours straight.
Really, whether or not you can play and still get top scores depends on the type of person you are and how much and when you play. If I were to go on gaming binges whenever I was stressed about a big assignment, the results might be very different and I might not be as prepared academically.

Not gaming per se, I'd rather say procastinating. Sometimes it's games, sometimes it's a series on netflix and sometimes is just not doing anything, if you don't feel like studying anything can be a distraction :p. In my case, I have always been able to do well in the exams and play regularly at the same time (except maybe this year, we got crushed in university, I still did well and played, but didn't have a good sleep any day >_>).

Yes to me some times it affects my studies.There is my best ds games called dragon quest ix.I has been disturbing me on my studies.When i go back home from school immidiately i started playing it i could'nt stop.Because that game was so nice .My notes at school started decresing because i was not more reading i was just playing it.But one day when my mother saw my report card she shouted at me told me not to be playing games .But i was still playing ontil the day the find me playing she said that every september when school i resumes i wont give you it ontil the holidays.

Back