Doom on Nintendo switch runs at 720p 30fps, docked and undocked..

• Thread starter Arshan
  • Start date
Arshan

Arshan

The Gucci Mining Diamonds Gang
Towns Folk
Source: https://mynintendonews.com/2017/09/23/doom-for-nintendo-switch-docked-and-undocked-will-run-at-720p/

So according to this article doom on nintendo switch will run at 720p and 30 fps both docked and undocked mode. There won't be any change between the two modes. What are your thoughts on this?

Personally I think this is a little dissapointing, I was impressed bethesda got 720p on the handheld mode (although the textures are very downgraded) although I expected a resolution or maybe slight framerate buff during docked mode. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. I suspect that this is likely due to there not being enough memory bandwith on the switch since doom is using it all when in handheld mode, which is a little depressing. There is still a while before the game releases so I could see bethesda optimizing it more, as they did say they weren't done optimizing the game. Hopefully we'll see a bump to something like 900p or rather a texture quality bump.

I doubt that'll happen. Bethesda's optimization for the Switch's mobile processor was impressive enough, I doubt they'll be able to go further than that.

The Switch is pretty weak in terms of processing power, so in order to make the game run they had to compromise quite a bit in order for the game to be playable.

I doubt that'll happen. Bethesda's optimization for the Switch's mobile processor was impressive enough, I doubt they'll be able to go further than that.

The Switch is pretty weak in terms of processing power, so in order to make the game run they had to compromise quite a bit in order for the game to be playable.

Ouch thats not pleasing news, maybe you could define what you mean by weak processing power ? I had expected it to run fine like wii u an 3ds but if its laggy (or too lower than that) thats pretty misfortunate news to me >.< i might be wrong here (and probably am since im no good at math or whatever this stuff is/means, i only understood processing power, not these letters that look like strange labels to me), but maybe someone could link me to video so i understand better ? Thanks, and i apologize for getting a bit off topic also

You know what? I don´t really care if it runs at 720 or 1080, I just think the nintendo switch is giving us this great opportunity to play this game wherever we want to and that´s just fine with me. Honestly, I don´t really pay too much attention to the fps as well, so I will definitively enjoy this game no matter what nerdish comments are flowing around.

Ouch thats not pleasing news, maybe you could define what you mean by weak processing power ? I had expected it to run fine like wii u an 3ds but if its laggy (or too lower than that) thats pretty misfortunate news to me >.< i might be wrong here (and probably am since im no good at math or whatever this stuff is/means, i only understood processing power, not these letters that look like strange labels to me), but maybe someone could link me to video so i understand better ? Thanks, and i apologize for getting a bit off topic also
There's a difference between a mobile processor and a full fledged console processor, in terms of both Cpu and Gpu. In order to make the Switch as portable as it is, they had to put in a mobile processor, which in terms of console prowess its pretty weak. It runs completely fine, but if you were to put a Xbox one version of Doom and a Switch version of Doom, you'll see that Doom on the Xbox looks vastly better and runs at a higher frame rate. Its all processing, and Bethesda did what they can to optimize the game.

might be a case similar to sonic forces, both docked and portable run at 720p 30, but in docked mode lights and shadows are improved, same as a few more textures and more poligons in the background elements, i could see something like that happening in doom, on handheld a lower setting for lights and shadows is used, to where shadows look blurrier and light shafts are disabled, but all that is enabled in dock mode and that is where the resources go instead of resolution or framerate

From what I saw in various trailers and reviews, the game looks pretty decent, and though FPS games aren't really my thing, I'll surely buy it day one, if only to support "bigger" games on Switch. Bethesda showed everybody it can be done - scale down a current generation game to run decently on Switch. If they have success with Doom, maybe will get other important 3rd party games, too.
What do you people think? Will you buy the game?

Although I personally fine with these locks, as I don't care about frame speeds and graphic quality, I could see how this is frustrating. However, I feel that it doesn't matter, as I wouldn't buy the game due to its amped up $60 price tag. But, If you are willing to buy it for the portability, it could be considered acceptable, due to the specs for a portable system. The dock might affect the graphics slightly though.

Reactions: Kadaj
Also, I guess you could say that its DOOMed to 30 fps :p

Back