Has a game ever made you cry?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Be honest :sneaky:

Has a game ever made you cry? If yes, what's the name of the game and which part exactly? ;~;

Reactions: Ashkil and 18
Minecraft story mode episode 4

Spoilers ahead potentially

The end where Reuben dies and turns into s pork chop I cried both times I played that part and the second time I played it I was so sad I went vegan for a month

Yes I’m being honest marcy :p

When I think I was around 10 years old, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. Particularly its main story ending and the ending of the 2nd Special Episode (Sky). It's not too embarrassing since I know lots of people who have played this game would most likely say the same.

Even if one didn't cry it'd be sure to give dem feelz.

Reactions: Starry Windy
Last of us, the beginning made me cry quite a bit!

Life is Strange, the emotionally difficult part with Chloe

Not full-on cry, but the endings of Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Persona 3 brought me close. I didn't know what to do with my life now that I'd finished such good adventures lmao.

Reactions: Ashkil
I got pretty close to crying around the end of Super Metroid.
You work your way though the planet Zebes to recover the Metroid hatchling from II, and find it had grown quite a bit since its capture. Then it dies while saveing you in the battle with Mother Brain. That's... Rough.

@SunnyWindy how does the start of a game make one cry?

To The Moon. The entire game was a tear jerker, but when the song "Everything Alright" played, or the final rendition of River's theme, I fell for it hook, line and sinker. Easily one of the best point and click games I've played, hands down.

Reactions: 18
Minecraft Story Mode episode 4. I never expected Reuben to die after killing the Wither Storm.

Minecraft Story Mode episode 4. I never expected Reuben to die after killing the Wither Storm.
Same read the first post

Minecraft story mode episode 4

Spoilers ahead potentially

The end where Reuben dies and turns into s pork chop I cried both times I played that part and the second time I played it I was so sad I went vegan for a month

Yes I’m being honest marcy :p
I mean vegetarian not vegan

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.

That game currently holds a personal record for not only being the first (and as of 10/6/2017, only) game to make me cry.

It was Xion's death that really got me.

She's first introduced as a character that has the same powers as Roxas, so the Organization uses her to collect hearts at twice the rate Roxas was able to do, and she eventually becomes best friends with Roxas and Axel. Then she loses her Keyblade and gets it back, but by then she's already questioning her existence. She leaves the Organization, which is the beginning of the disintegration of the friendship between her, Roxas and Axel. Soon she meets Riku and Mickey, and she learns about herself being just a failed copy of Sora, the protagonist of the Kingdom Hearts and Chain of Memories who was put to sleep to repair his memories after CoM, but because Roxas is Sora's nobody he naturally is a part of Sora, isn't going through much of the same drama Xion is because she is made up of the remaining memories not used to create Roxas. This means that in order to wake Sora up with all his memories repaired, both Xion and Roxas would have to die.

Eventually, the Organization, including Axel, dismisses Xion from their cause as a traitor, much to Roxas's annoyance that not even his best friend will tell him what's going on. He also leaves the Organization, and meets Xion. At this point, Xion is upset in her failed existence and believes that the Organization created her to absorb Roxas and become a perfect copy of Sora, therefore ensuring the real Sora never wakes up to stop their plans. She attacks Roxas in a final fight before she is ultimately struck down by Roxas. As she is fading away, she explains to Roxas that the Organization was evil and that he absolutely cannot let Xemnas have his way. After a long, saddening speech made by Xion, she fades away, leaving Roxas (and the player) to cry. A lot. Now that half of Sora's memories are returned, everyone that has ever had any sort of interaction with Xion at all forget about her, including Roxas.

The very sad thing about this is that she wasn't even the final boss of the game. She was the penultimate boss of the game. Roxas, even though not being able to remember Xion by name, tries to undo Kingdom Hearts so he can get her back. Riku, the games final boss, taunts Roxas about Xion's disappearance and telling Roxas that trying to undo Kingdom Hearts was a very bad idea. Even though Roxas is the victor in the fight between them, Riku taps into the darkness inside him, turning him into Ansem, the final boss of Kingdom Hearts and Riku's story of Chain of Memories, and instantly knocks Roxas out. Later, a man named Diz talks to Riku about Roxas as the camera pans out.

We see Roxas wake up in the opening for Kingdom Hearts II, blissfully unaware of Xion, the Organization, or anything that had happened during the game. He wakes up to go visit his friends Hayner, Pence, and Olette, saying "today we'll finally hit the beach!", before the camera pans up to the sky, and a song by Hikaru plays, it's slow tempo and piano strikes hitting you in the emotional gut.
It's even worse if you've already played Kingdom Hearts II, because Roxas isn't aware that this memory was just a fake Diz made while trying to keep the Organization out and waiting for Namine to finish fixing Sora, where Roxas will ultimately fade, just like Xion.

What makes this scene even sadder is shortly after fighting Riku. On the bottom screen of the DS, the next two cutscenes after that fight will play a cutscene where Xion, Roxas, and Axel are eating ice cream and enjoying each other. The first cutscene play it normally, and on the second cutscene it plays the scene again, but this time Xion is gradually fading until she is removed completely by the end of the cutscene playing on the top screen. It's an experience I can't describe by just writing about it, you'll have to either play the game or look it up on YouTube to know the feeling.

Dang, Square, you sure know how to make a person cry. ;-;

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series sure likes giving this kind of feels over and over. Some notable mentions are the ending of 2nd Special Episode of Explorers of Sky like what @Eridan told earlier, and the ending of Gates To Infinity as well.

(Be Honest Marc, what game made you cry?) Yes a Game has made me cry ;^; It doesn't help that I've played this game like a 100 times. The Name of the game is Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater. Near the ending of the game is the final boss fight....may not seem sad since it's a final boss, but it's more interesting. I'll put it in a spoiler and I will also put the video with it as well.
The final boss is Snake's Mentor, The Boss. She was the person that made Snake to who he is and was a mother to Snake. You are forced to kill her or you will get killed. Snake has 10 minutes or the place he's at will get bombed, thus killing him. The Boss says if Snake kills her, he will takes the title Big Boss. Then after you get her health lowered there will be a cutscene. The Boss lays on the ground and gives Snake her patriot, and tells him to shoot her. Even though Snake doesn't want to, he must to finish his mission. *Sad Music* [This part isn't in the Video provided] Then when the game is almost done, you learn The Boss had to be killed, she couldn't kill herself nor let anyone kill her except Snake.

Reactions: Knight and 18
I'm very easily moved to tears, if a game doesn't make me misty-eyed it probably means that I'm completely uninterested in its narrative. That's not only for sad moments, but for happy or heartwarming ones as well.

For some specific examples (that aren't too embarassing to admit):

The ending is powerful, but I think the buildup to it during the second half of the game are very good as well. It's some of the best emotional storytelling I've seen in a main Nintendo franchise.

Several scenes late into the game. Piano music and an emotional story has that effect on some people.

Not the difficulty, but the backstory of most bosses, the fates of most characters and the state of the world itself. Especially once you start digging through the lore.

It ended.

I could probably mention any Final Fantasy game here, Squeenix being somewhat famous for killing off likable characters, but XIV has the most memorable tear-inducing moments for me. I knew that a Final Fantasy game with likable characters taking inspiration from A Song of Ice and Fire never would end well.

I'm very weepy, okay. >.>

Ahaha. I never cry, much less from a videogame, though I'll admit, it would be nice to feel something for once. I haven't felt much in years. Particularly sadness, tears don't seem to come to me so easily.

There might've been one or two scenes in an older game I've played like in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, perhaps the last time I ever recall feeling particularly anything from a videogame, but that would've been about it.

Now I'm in this thread... if I wanted to cry, what games would you all recommend? I want to feel something again. I want to feel sadness again. It's been so long, perhaps since I was a kid that I managed to feel emotional.

Preferably Switch games since that's all I own, or whatever. I wonder what kind of emotional depth a game could evoke?

It's been said earlier in this thread but the only game to do this (to my recollection) is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorer's of the Sky. Not going to spoil it but I love that game to death.

From a game I played? I can't recall. Mother 3 was sad. Brawl Subspace Emissary was sad. Pokemon White was sad. 358/2 Days was already mentioned but only saw the whole story on Youtube. No I don't think I ever will cry on purpose for a game. Mainly because I'm to focused on completing it but putting the sad part at the end when it's finished might be the best spot for them.

Back