PC Heroes of Might and Magic II

• Thread starter Aura Knight
  • Start date
Aura Knight

Aura Knight

Spirit of the West
Towns Folk
Hello!

I realize I'm not very active when it comes to posting things. I'm sorry for not being in the threads more, but hopefully this will give me something to talk about.

What I wanted to talk about is a game that will most definitely give me a sense of nostalgia when I see it:

Heroes of Might and Magic II

Heroes of Might and Magic II is an old computer game released in 1996. Based on my personal experiences, this is probably one of the few instances where the sequel was actually better than the original. I have played the original, but it's too strict, confusing, and the mechanics didn't work well. Thankfully, they were fixed and gave more features to this game than the others.

I remember playing this game a lot when I was little. For the longest time, me and my family weren't really "progressive" in our technologies, so when we wanted to play a game we'd pop a CD-Rom into the drive and fire away. While back in the days there was a much wider range of games I could play, including the first three Harry Potter games and their Quiditch spin off, HOMMII was the one that I remember dearly.

But what makes this game so good?

Well, obviously the gameplay!

There are two modes of gameplay; Campaign mode and Original Mode. Campaign mode is basically the story mode of the game, and which story you play depends on what you play. If you pick the Normal campaign, you'll be dropped off after the events of the first game to resolve your conflicts there. The extended version of the game features extra campaigns that can be played, but they're more spin-off stories than anything else.

In Original mode, you can select maps that are pre-created and play them to match their victory condition. Select what you want to do, and off you go.

So, this is basically what the map looks like. When you enter the game, you usually start at the castle unless the game you're playing requires something else. Then you click on the map, and you can go as far as your horse can go for the in-game day. You and the other players/computers take turns, with a player's turn ending when they click the little hourglass icon to end their 'day'.

You also start off with a team color. This helps to identify your friends from your enemies, and only one player can control a team at a time. In the picture above, a blue hero is about to leave his blue castle. Castles with the same flag can be entered and you can hire new heroes, upgrade your castle, introduce new units, etc. When approaching a friendly hero, you can trade artifacts or units with each other.

When you meet a hero or enter a castle not of your team color, you will immediately be thrown into fight.

See, in this game, the person riding the horse is not the person that will be doing the fighting. Rather, it is the general of the army they control. You lead that army into combat and defeat the foe's army. If you defeat the hero, he fades and the team loses a hero. If you defeat the castle, your team will claim that castle for your own. If you claim all of a team's castles, the opposing team will have about 7 'days' to get a castle. If all heroes are defeated and all castles are defeated, or the team's heroes cannot get a castle in time, that player will be eliminated, and can no longer play.

While Campaign mode is good, it requires you to follow specific victory conditions, so naturally the Original games are where the party is at.

When you start the game, you can pick your class you want to play; Knight, Wizard, Warlock, Barbarian, Sorceress, and Necromancer. Each have their own unique abilities and units, as well as how that class interacts with each unit (for example, you'll want undead units on the Necromancer's team, because mixing undead and living units will severely drop morality).

Pick what you want, then head into battle! But what really is cool is that you can even make your own maps. This is the earliest and easiest way to make your own game. Set the landscape, events, conditions, and you're set!

To end this off, I really enjoy this game and it's always going to be the Mario Party of my house. I seriously recommend trying it if you are interested.

See ya! :D

I think it's awesome you like oldschool PC games. I've never played Heroes of Might and Magic, unfortunately, but I grew up on PC games like Warcraft, StarCraft, Duke Nukem, Doom, etc. And I've played lots of MMORPGs as well like Daimonin online, Endless online, etc etc. Point is I have a big appreciation for PC games.

Did you know there was a Gameboy version of Heroes of Might and magic released?

@Cevil Wait, what? That's a thing?

Huh...

@Cevil Wait, what? That's a thing?

Huh...

Yeah, they made 2 for the game boy color. Also the series was renamed to "Might and Magic" sometime in 2011 and has since had several releases. Maybe check it out?

Back