How do you feel about "needing" an SD card to play some retail Switch games?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I wouldn't be too happy if the micro SD card doesn't come with the Nintendo Switch :/

But yeah, some future Nintendo Switch game releases will require you to have a micro SD card to use with the console in order to play them. The first game for this requirement is 2K18 - not really a game that interests me much.

Thankfully, if you don't have a microSD card, you can still play a portion of each game, but you're not going to get the full experience. On the bright side, this requirement will clearly be stated on the boxes so you'll know before buying the game.. assuming you read the details on the box cover ;)

Something a Nintendo of America rep said to IGN :
Nintendo of America representative said:
A microSD card will be needed for certain Nintendo Switch games that contain an especially large amount of content and require additional storage for players to enjoy the full experience.

If you purchase a physical version of a game that requires an additional microSD memory card, you will be able to play a portion of the game right out of the box (for example, specific levels or modes).

To enjoy the full game, downloading additional data is required. Depending on the storage requirements for each game, it may be necessary to purchase a microSD card to expand storage space. When purchasing a digital version of the game, it may also be necessary to purchase a microSD card depending on the game’s storage requirements and the storage available on the consumer’s Nintendo Switch console.

Some Nintendo Switch games will require consumers to purchase an additional microSD memory card to play them. Our expanded storage solution offers flexibility for those who need it to play these games. People can choose exactly how much additional storage space they want to buy, depending on the number and type of games they play, and the amount of content they plan to download.
The Switch comes with 32 GB of internal storage out of the box and even with the free space, you'll need the microSD card to play select Nintendo Switch retail games fully.

How do you feel about this?

Well at least since it's only 2k18 we have some time to get one :/ . And I don't think that most games are going to be that much. Unless they remove lag from dense areas (botw) and have ultra great graphics, and I mean seriously what are you going to with a micro sd card for a game like 2k18. I think it could be kinda ridiculous. And I know it supports local mutiplayer. But other games do too.

I'm fine with that, because Micro SD cards became very cheap, and by comparison, a Switch costs 300 $. You can get a 32 GB Micro SD card for around 13 $. Considering you've bought a Switch, and one full game costs 60 $, 13$ is nothing. Also, not many games are going to be as heavy as NBA 2K18.
Edit: The only problem here is that Nintendo doesn't make 64 GB cartridges

I'm completely fine with this to be honest. I'm hoping this isn't going to be the case for a lot of games coming to the switch. If nintendo is making the game, I think it should fit on the system, of course, I'm expecting them to compress it since they normally do. I don't think the storage provided is that bad, most games will take pretty little of it as long as its compressed (sonic mania is literally 186mb!!). Games like nba 2k have lots of voice acting and other stuff, so they are going to need the sd card, but other than that most games won't. I'm also glad Nintendo didn't put like 500gb on the switch or 1 terabyte even because it'd make it much more expensive and a lot of people are going to only buy a few games or only nintendo games, and there's also those that only buy physical games, so I am happy they made it an option.

I don't have a Switch, but for my Nintendo 3DSXL I had to take a 32GB SD card this year. It was painful for my wallet, I won't lie, but I feel I can breath again, 'cause before that I coudn't even update the badge arcade because the SD card was fully full... T_T and I have some downloaded games.

i am cool with that

If it's just to download patches, digital games and DLC it's fine but if it is to do anything other then that it would kind of kill the system. I can see how some people wouldn't like it and I just hope they don't mess it all up. I personally am just still going to wait about maybe another year or so before I even go for a switch cause right now there are better things I can go for at the moment .

I am fully prepared to buy an SD card, but am waiting until I need one. I currently only have 3 game cards and some downloaded demos, so not much need for a card yet, so I am hoping to get a larger memory one so I don't have to keep changing it. Will need to check before buying each game that is coming out just in case then, to make sure I get one in time.
What happens if you need to change the SD card? Is it linked to the system like the 3ds or can you just change to another depending on the game?

I'll be fine buying a microSD card for now. What I'm concerned about is buying the right amount for future reference: I doubt 32GB is enough, but 64GB should last at least over a year until there's too many games which require a lot of space. Of course, this all depends on how many games they churn out which require a lot of space.

Regardless, the ability to customise the size of card for your console while costly sometimes isn't inherently a negative trait. It's always a plus. Being able to purchase one on the other hand depends on you and what you can afford. Just keep in mind that this is still considered a console system of sorts, so it's expected that some games will be larger in size than your regular handheld.

As far as I know, that only affects cartridge games, not downloaded games from the eshop, so, in my own case, I don´t really care about it because I am buying everything on the nintendo eshop. I will do this because getting a nintendo switch cartridge game in my country is really expensive, maybe 80 to 90 percent its real value on the eshop, so I am not letting myself be robbed in the face.

But If my case was other, I think it would be kind of painful having to get a sd just to play the entire game.

As far as I know, that only affects cartridge games, not downloaded games from the eshop, so, in my own case, I don´t really care about it because I am buying everything on the nintendo eshop.

I think you have that backwards: you're actually in a much worse position if you decides to completely go digital on your Switch. The reason being is that the cartridges hold the entire game and the only storage taken up is the save data (which usually isn't a lot) and DLC/Expansions. Digital games on the other hand require you to have a MicroSD because you'll need that space to hold all the games data and the above.

Basically, even though this is an unfortunate oversight by the developers of NBA 2K18 and I hope it isn't repeated again, you aren't doing yourself any favors by going digital if the end goal is to not buy a microSD card.

You might have a point, anyway, I prefer to go digital and buy a sd card and then forget about cartridges and the sd as well. I prefer to have everything in only one place and not having to collect the games or the saves from different cartridges or sd cards as I might have. (I already own a 64 gb micro sd)
One more thing, I have Heard that hori is planning to launch an officially liscences micro sd card of 128 gb for the nintendo switch so I am still considering the idea of getting one of them.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
You might have a point, anyway, I prefer to go digital and buy a sd card and then forget about cartridges and the sd as well. I prefer to have everything in only one place and not having to collect the games or the saves from different cartridges or sd cards as I might have. (I already own a 64 gb micro sd)
One more thing, I have Heard that hori is planning to launch an officially liscences micro sd card of 128 gb for the nintendo switch so I am still considering the idea of getting one of them.

That's fair. Digital has its perks as does physical. All I set out to state was that purely from the "microSD saving" aspect it's not a realistic goal to go for digital.

To be honest, I'm pretty mad! I belive they're just trying to find another way to make a little extra money! I mean, take XBox for instance! They give you a whole terabyte! A TERABYTE! That is massive! And yet, Nintendo can only afford to give their fans a measly 32 GB. And then they say, "If you want more space, buy our new SD cards! It makes me sick! And I'm not trying to put Nintendo down either. All I'm saying is, couldn't they just give us a little more space?

And then they say, "If you want more space, buy our new SD cards!
no, you can use any SD card, it's not like if they made a unique cartrige that doesn't exist elsewhere. it's not only for Nintendo's benefits in this case. And I'm not surprised concerning Nintendo, they're used to small memory.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2 and Kakea
@Samster123 This is the unfortunate price to pay when it comes to affordability. In order to make the Switch cheaper they simply had to give such low memory storage, otherwise it would've been too expensive (which it already is somewhat) to reasonably sell to consumers. At the very least they had the decency to let you pick your storage memory through the micro SD card, otherwise it would be unacceptable.

Not to mention, the PS4 and Xbone respectively have their own differing models of consoles based on storage memory IIRC, which depending on whether it's larger or smaller means the pricing reflects that storage. The Switch with its intended small portability can't cram a hard drive into the system without limiting that portability, and like stated above it would put the pricing through the roof (e.g. the largest SD card you can possibly get on the market which wouldn't sacrifice portability much is 512 GB, and is estimated to retail for $275 dollars. Would you buy a Switch at $500+ USD?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Alegria
Back